Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do I pay him?

(136 Posts)
Ispy123 Tue 19-Sep-17 12:17:41

I've been seeing a man for a little over a year now. We don't live together,no children together. One day back in July I mentioned I wanted some work doing in my garden and will get my brother to come and do it for me. He said no need he would complete the work for me. No money asked for or given,he wanted to do it for me. I brought him some of his favourite drinks as a thankyou.
Roll on to last week,silly argument but could end up being the end of the relationship.He sent me a text thismorning asking me for £100 a day for the work he did in July which would total £600 . My question is do I pay him? Yes he did do the work but he made it clear he didt want the money and wanted to do it for me. My brother would have done it for me for much less. What do i do?

SnowiestMountain Tue 19-Sep-17 12:19:38

He wants £600 for something that he offered to do when you two were on better terms? No way, ask for the paperwork where you agreed to pay him and the daily rate! He's a chancer!

PennyLaneFlowers Tue 19-Sep-17 12:20:22

I wouldn't pay him. He's a cheeky fucker.

Did you pay him for materials? Were there materials needed for the job?

If he doesn't have an invoice and hasn't put it through books then I don't think he's got any legal recourse to get the money back from you.

Reply asking for [insert figure] for all the time you wasted on him, coffees and meals you paid for, presents you bought him.

PerfectlyPooPoo Tue 19-Sep-17 12:21:02

absolutely not. What an arsehole.

Get rid!

Ocicat Tue 19-Sep-17 12:21:11

I wouldn't pay £600, no! I might be convinced to offer half that if I could afford but I'd be really pissed off!

He sounds like a cheeky sod!

HailLapin Tue 19-Sep-17 12:21:43

Is gardening his business?

BackieJerkhart Tue 19-Sep-17 12:21:57

No, you dump him. That's what you do. You laugh, say "good one mate" and then follow it with "buh bye"

LoveDeathPrizes Tue 19-Sep-17 12:22:46

Draw up a bill for any coffees, drinks, hourly rate of conversation. Jesus Christ what a tosser.

2beesornot2beesthatisthehoney Tue 19-Sep-17 12:23:43

silly argument but could end up being the end of the relationship

Personally I think the text was it! My first LTB and no , don't pay him.

Ispy123 Tue 19-Sep-17 12:24:03

No hes not a gardener but he did do a really good job. Im a bit stunned really,Then again,previous arguments have resulted in him asking me to return gifts he's brought me, why am I do shocked?

GreenTulips Tue 19-Sep-17 12:24:09

Absolute no way!

BulletFox Tue 19-Sep-17 12:24:19

Sounds like he's just on a rant.

Ignore and wind out gracefully

Bufferingkisses Tue 19-Sep-17 12:24:21

I think the best reply would be "the argument could have been the end of our relationship. However that piece of fuckery you've sent through definitely is the end. Do not contact me again"

Then block - but I have a lie tolerance for wankery like that!

Ispy123 Tue 19-Sep-17 12:25:35

I'm so glad it's not just me that finds this unsavoury shall we say. I may just pay him to shut him up and get rid.

overnightangel Tue 19-Sep-17 12:26:26

He sounds like a right piece of work.
Don't pay him a penny.
Bin him off.

Ocicat Tue 19-Sep-17 12:26:54

Oh, he's one of those.

I take it back, I wouldn't pay him anything at all and I'd get rid of the miserable git.

HailLapin Tue 19-Sep-17 12:27:40

Thanks for your reply , nope , I wouldn't pay him.

A) Gardening is not his trade/source of income and B) He is clearly just being petty.

DoubleDinghyRapids Tue 19-Sep-17 12:28:00

I'd tell him to fuck off.

He's showing his true character now too so there'd be no getting back together either.

Ispy123 Tue 19-Sep-17 12:28:20

Its been difficult because when we're good we are so so good and he is so lovely bit when it's bad he is an absolute asshole. It's all or nothing with him. Thankyou so much for the replies. Think i know what i need to do.

BackieJerkhart Tue 19-Sep-17 12:28:29

You can get rid without paying. Just dump and block. If he harasses you call the police. in the words of Judge Judy "he had no contract"

Applesandpears56 Tue 19-Sep-17 12:29:25

Don't pay him!
Is he generally tight with money?

Ispy123 Tue 19-Sep-17 12:31:50

Yes one of those. Feel quite sad now you've all confirmed what i thought,he's a complete git.
Can he be changed I wonder. Doubt it. Dont think i have the strength or time to try.

Winteriscomingneedmorewood Tue 19-Sep-17 12:32:06

Your convo need to go like this. .
"Hey fuckwit the door is that way >"

Butterymuffin Tue 19-Sep-17 12:32:34

What an unpleasant person. Text back and say 'You agreed to do it at the time for nothing and I gave you drinks in return. But thanks for showing me the kind of person you are'. Then cut him off.

BackieJerkhart Tue 19-Sep-17 12:33:22

Can he be changed I wonder. Doubt it. Dont think i have the strength or time to try.

Serious question, after seeing how he has treated you, why would you want to try? Is there a severe shortage of men in your area? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now