Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

A cheeky question about hair colour......

(115 Posts)
LaContessaDiPlump Tue 19-Sep-17 11:20:47

It's cheeky because it is, frankly nosy blush

My hair is a big ball of frizz and always has been. However, at the age of 35 it seems to be the same colour as it was when I was a kid. Genetics, I guess - certainly not a result of any care or attention from me.

I recently met up with a friend with darker hair (same age as me) and was surprised to see that she seemed to have gone really grey compared with last time I saw her. Of course I didn't say anything but she did say during the meetup that she must look a mess and hadn't dyed her hair in ages.

It made me wonder: if you have dark hair, when did greys start to show? Did you start dyeing your hair at that point? I'm wondering if this is a basic beauty thing that all my dark-haired friends do that I'm totally oblivious of confused my mum, aunts and grandmother all dyed from around age 25 but I have no idea if it was for fashion or not....

P.s. this is in Chat rather than S&B because I'm interested in the general pattern of hair colour change/bodily deterioration rather than just appearance per se grin

B1rdonawire Tue 19-Sep-17 11:23:29

I'm older than you and have "medium blonde" hair which hasn't started greying yet. My mum went straight from blonde to white as I recall, so perhaps I have that coming! The dark-haired younger sisters in my family have all got little bits of grey in their thirties. Some dye, some don't.

Walnutwhiplash Tue 19-Sep-17 11:35:40

I had very dark hair, started getting stray bright copper-coloured hairs in my late teens and was dyeing my grey hair by mid 20s. In my 40s now and I have more white hair than my Dad (also very dark) had in his 80s.

InteriorLulu Tue 19-Sep-17 11:38:06

I started going grey in my early 20's. It wasn't too bad for a few years but I've been dyeing it for a good 20 years now. If I let it grow out it's 'salt and pepper', but probably more salt than pepper IYSWIM.

I've had to alter the colour I use over the years due to changes in skin tone. I spoke with my hairdresser about going blonde, but she says it's not time for that yet (not enough grey).

But, since that conversation, I don't think I'll choose blonde, I might work with the silver/grey. I'm definitely not going to grow old gracefully grin

WhooshYeah Tue 19-Sep-17 11:39:42

I've been wondering the same

I'm 35, brunette and still no greys (hurrahhh)
But school friends of mine have been grey for years. Especially men.

Frazzled2207 Tue 19-Sep-17 11:40:21

I'm 39 and not seen any greys yet. However have dyed my hair foe years, mostly because it's a particularly boring shade of dark brown.

CaptWentworth Tue 19-Sep-17 11:42:53

I'm 30 and have suddenly noticed a lot of grey hairs, but I attribute that to the recent birth of my DS, and the subsequent loss of about 20% of my hair. I think this has just increased the number of greys that I can see. I imagine the grey will be diluted again once all my hair grows back, which it's starting to.

I probably noticed one or two grey hairs by the time I was 25, but literally one or two. I don't really care tbh.

minesapintofwine Tue 19-Sep-17 11:44:34

I'm 35--nearly 36-- I have brownish/reddish hair. I have dyed it regularly in the past to a darker colour but haven't for ages and not dyed in colour now. I haven't got any grey.

My friends vary from loads of grey to none. Dh has a fair bit.

I guess it must be genetics or luck. I don't actually like my hair though. It's a nice colour but crap style grin

wowfudge Tue 19-Sep-17 11:45:28

I find it sad that your friend choosing not to dye her hair meant she thought she looked a mess. Colouring grey hair is a time-consuming palaver. I'm going lighter with the aim of stopping colouring my hair altogether.

Laniakea Tue 19-Sep-17 11:47:10

I'm 42 with dark brown hair, I don't have any grey. I haven't dyed my hair since I accidentally dyed it green 10 years ago! dh is 43 with lighter brown hair & he is very grey - probably over 75% now.

LaContessaDiPlump Tue 19-Sep-17 11:47:13

wowfudge I guess we all have our mental shortlist of things we 'need' to do, and that's on hers! Mine is mascara.... a very short list grin

LemonBreeland Tue 19-Sep-17 11:47:24

I am 40 with dark brown hair. I have only a few grey hairs, as in less than 10. They only started growing about 4 years ago.

I have a friend the same age and she had naturally mousy/light brown hair. She has been dying her grey since at latest 30. She has almost completely grey hair.

PickleRickSanchez Tue 19-Sep-17 11:48:03

I'm mid 30s like you and have medium brown hair which tends to lighten in the sun, also don't use dye and haven't any grey yet- nor has my DM who is 55 so I'm hoping for the same! grin

TishHope Tue 19-Sep-17 11:49:53

I first started noticing some grey hairs when I was in my early 40s but I've had blonde highlights for absolutely years so it all kinda blended in.

Not sure if this is TMI but I have no grey hairs in erm other places ifyswim. I wonder why that is confused

CMOTDibbler Tue 19-Sep-17 11:52:14

I was mousey coloured as a child, but found my first grey before I was twenty. Used semi permanent, then demi permanent, and had to have permanent colour from 28 as I had far too much grey to cover. Got bored with the 2 weekly root touch up by 38 and decided to go natural. At 44 I'm almost totally white haired, and thats just like my mum, nana, great grandma, and nanas sister.

littlemissneela Tue 19-Sep-17 12:01:06

My hair was blonde as a child, got darker when I had it cut short, and has been naturally mousey blonde/brown since then. I had my first grey hair in my teens sobs and have been dying it since about the same age. I used to go red, either by Harmony triangular boxes back in tbe day or henna. I am now leaning more towards a honey blonde. I did stop dying it for a year or so, but where my grey is coming through, which is over my ears, it makes me look really washed out. I will go grey gracefully, when I am more grey than not. My mum has always had dark hair, and she is only now getting the odd grey streak!

Scribblegirl Tue 19-Sep-17 12:01:53

Tish I'm 28, haven't a grey hair on my head (hoping I take after my dad who didn't go grey until his 50s!) and no grey hairs anywhere else except, weirdly, a few white hairs in my eyebrows! I've only noticed them in the past year. They're very much the odd one or two so I tend to tweeze them out, plus I use eyebrow pencil, but I do find it weird that my eyebrows are apparently aging faster than the rest of me!

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Tue 19-Sep-17 12:01:58

I'm early 40s with black hair. Mine started going grey in my mid twenties, hurried along by a Thyroid problem when my DS was born, so I'm pretty much totally grey now I think - haven't actually seen my full head of hair it's natural colour since then.

I have toyed with the idea of growing out the black due or cutting it so short that only the grey roots remain. I'd love to stop worrying about roots and I think being mainly grey silver it would look cool with pastel colours on it without needing bleach.

However DP is younger than me and I don't want people thinking I'm his mum! I know the whole grey hair thing has become fashionable for young people now, but that's a very specific tone, on very pretty young women. I know I would be judged as 'letting myself go' or looking haggard if I had my natural colour.

LaContessaDiPlump Tue 19-Sep-17 12:03:34

That's interesting Feedme - I have an underactive thyroid and 2 kids, yet no hair colour change confused weird!

cakesonatrain Tue 19-Sep-17 12:05:21

I have medium brown hair, and no signs of grey at 36. My brother has much darker hair, and has had a few greys since mid-twenties I think. More since mid-thirties though.

I don't seem to have the other aging signs, either. I have terrible skin, but nothing like a wrinkle anywhere.

Floellabumbags Tue 19-Sep-17 12:07:28

I haven't seen my natural hair colour since I was 15. I started blonde, went mousy, discovered the wonders of peroxide in 1988 and never looked back.

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Tue 19-Sep-17 12:07:42

Tish - i have a few white eyebrow hairs and way too many white ones elsewhere! I hadn't noticed as my stomach is in the way I don't do any grooming I don't really look often, but it was a shock when I first saw that grin

Bopi Tue 19-Sep-17 12:16:46

I'm mid thirties, no greys yet. My mum is mid 60s and her hair is still naturally mostly brown. I'm hoping I take after her, she only had a sprinkling of grey the last 5 years or so.
I have a friend who found her first grey at 21. It's definitely a genetics thing and no two people will be the same.

badtime Tue 19-Sep-17 12:29:53

I'm 42, and my medium-brown hair has only started to go grey around my hairline and temples in the last couple of years. If I had a fringe, you wouldn't see any grey.

Oddly, everyone else in my family went grey much younger, and would have been at least 50/50 by my age.

QuilliamCakespeare Tue 19-Sep-17 12:31:24

I'm mid thirties with mid-brown hair. No greys at all. My younger sister has slightly darker hair and lets me pull hers out for hergrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now