Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Adults who've never lived alone

(212 Posts)
HillaryWinshaw Mon 18-Sep-17 23:01:01

Does anyone else think it's a bit odd when adults tell you that they've never lived alone? The thread about being scared in your house at night got me to thinking about it. I can't imagine not having lived alone as an adult, at least for a time, and can't help think it a bit strange to have gone (for example) straight from a parent's house to a live-in boyfriend/girlfriend. It was such a time of growth for me (a swanky as that sounds.) I think I'd be quite put off if I met someone who'd never lived alone...

What say you?

IAmBreakmasterCylinder Mon 18-Sep-17 23:03:29

I never have. Met now DH when I was 19. Never went to Uni.

I used to feel I'd missed out on living alone but not bothered now. I'm not afraid to be in the house alone.

NachoAddict Mon 18-Sep-17 23:04:33

I have never lived totally alone but I have lived as the only adult in the house. Is that different? I quite like being the only adult in the house.

SusanTheGentle Mon 18-Sep-17 23:04:47

I've never lived alone, unless you count single rooms at Halls, which are really not. I've never been able to afford to live alone - I went family, halls, housemates, boyfriend who is now husband. I was single for a huge chunk of that time but having a flat on my own was just an unimaginable expense (and I come from a well off family and earned above average, though not necessarily hugely above average, for all that time).

Katescurios Mon 18-Sep-17 23:05:00

I haven't ever lived alone and don't feel I missed out on a anything. I met my now husband when i was 16, we dated for 6 years and I moved in to his flat about a month before we got married. We've been together 17years so seems to be working out.

Dancingke Mon 18-Sep-17 23:05:15

I only lived alone for about 6/8months I think it was, I lived with flatmates during and a couple of years after university as lived in an expensive city, then after the 6months alone or so moved in with (the then bf) dh

Haudyerwheesht Mon 18-Sep-17 23:05:52

I've never lived alone - I kind of wish I had. I'm often the only adult home when dh is working away but I went from home - university flats with flatnages - dh . I don't think it's weird tbh.

TizzyDongue Mon 18-Sep-17 23:06:11

I don't think it's wildly unusally to have not lived alone.

Even those that might not have moved from their parents to a live in partner, may have lived with a flat or house share.

Out of my school friends I'm fairly unusual in the fact I've lived totally on my todd for a while.

AgentProvocateur Mon 18-Sep-17 23:06:20

Technically, I've never lived alone - parents' house, uni flat with flatmates, moved in with DP and flatmates, DP worked away - flatmates still there, got married... However, over the years DP and I have both worked away, so I've spent M-F on my own in my house or in a hotel. Now the DC have left home, it's just DP and me, which is quite nice. wink

MarmaladeIsMyJam Mon 18-Sep-17 23:06:33

I don't think it's massively unusual. There is no way people can't afford to live alone these days. Especially graduates living in a city.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Mon 18-Sep-17 23:06:40

I ever have went from parents, to being a live in nanny, to living with boyfriend (now husband) think I've turned out ok... ish.

opheliacat Mon 18-Sep-17 23:06:43

My marriage ended briefly.

I hated it. Words cannot express how miserable I was. Dh would have to turn to serial killing before I put myself through that again.

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 18-Sep-17 23:07:50

I've never lived alone and I don't feel I've missed out. Lived with my parents until 18 then in Uni halls for a year then student house for 2 years then jave lived with my partner since leaving uni. Doesnt mean I've never been alone overnight etc and I am perfectly capable of coping on my own. In fact I think I would be hard pushed to name any of my family or friends who have lived alone as an adult to be fair. It's very expensive to rent/buy a place just for one person.

Lj8893 Mon 18-Sep-17 23:07:52

Well many people can't afford to move out of home until they can do it with a partner. I don't think that's too unusual or questionable at all.

sonlypuppyfat Mon 18-Sep-17 23:08:28

I've never lived alone nor has DH and we're both in our fifties, how is it odd. We both left home and set up together

ArbitraryName Mon 18-Sep-17 23:09:22

I've never lived alone. I was the only adult in my house for years, but I didn't live alone.

DH has never lived alone either. He lived with his parents, shared a room in halls at university, had flat mates and then lived with me and DS1 (then DS2).

scaryclown Mon 18-Sep-17 23:10:05

God I wish I'd never lived alone. I LOVED being in shared flats where you are kind of alone in your room, but are also always surrounded by, and have to be considerate of other people. It makes me a better person, and better to myself, but I do find people who can't do anything alone odd, even though that's normal for a lot of people as I see things like being able to manoeuvre around the world without having to convince people to join in your vision of the world. I see being alone as being an adult skill..

But God.. This m.youtube.com/watch?v=k7X7sZzSXYs
Is gorgeous

MarmaladeIsMyJam Mon 18-Sep-17 23:10:23

Thinking about my circle of friends, I can actually only think of one who lived alone! Even older friends who are now divorced still lived with children.

You're the odd one OP grin

isittheholidaysyet Mon 18-Sep-17 23:10:50

Depends what you mean by lived alone?

I went from parents house, to shared house which was also my place of work, to uni halls, to student house, to graduate shared house, to marital home.

So I've lived independently for many years, but rarely been in the position of being alone in a house at night. Now and again of course, if people have been away, but usually there have been people in the house with me at night.

KoolKoala07 Mon 18-Sep-17 23:11:36

I've never lived alone. I couldn't afford to, so had I not met Dh I'd probably still be with my parents.

Rainbowblume Mon 18-Sep-17 23:11:46

Never lived alone. Wouldn't have enjoyed it, couldnt afford it anyway in SE england. Parents - flatshares - partner. So nope, based on my own experience, I dont think it odd.

ArbitraryName Mon 18-Sep-17 23:11:49

I think it may be less usual to have lived alone than always to have shared with at least one other person.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Mon 18-Sep-17 23:12:13

I never have. I went from my parents' house to uni halls/shared houses then with my ex for a while. I got cancer and had to move back in with my parents. Its incurable so I'm not going to be moving out. I'd live to live on my own. Grateful as I am to my parents, I feel like a giant womanchild. Sometimes I fantasise about checking into a Premier Inn for the night just to be on my own grin

Few of my friends live alone though. It's so expensive!

JaneJeffer Mon 18-Sep-17 23:12:21

I've never lived alone. I don't think it's that uncommon!

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Mon 18-Sep-17 23:12:43

love not live

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now