Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can anyone recommend a pillow for chronic neck pain?

(36 Posts)
primereadingitisthen Fri 15-Sep-17 20:12:35

I seem to be sleeping bunched up in a tight ball recently and am getting increasingly bad neck pain with it. Need anything that will help!

LibertyHill Fri 15-Sep-17 22:29:35

I'm blatantly place marking incase someone else comes along with the answer smile

Memory foam pillows make things worse for me and I am currently using two really soft silentnight pillows (they feel like they are made of air), one gets sort of stuffed into the crook of my neck and the other as normal.

PickAChew Fri 15-Sep-17 22:31:29

I need the softest pillow possible - enough to support my head without lifting it. I tend to go for pillows made of cluster fibre or similar - balls of filling so they flatten out in the middle like feather pillows, without the cruelty and allergies associated with feather pillows.

PickAChew Fri 15-Sep-17 22:32:42

And yeah, if i do venture onto my side (rare, it hurts too much) they can be balled up for extra support where it's needed.

Fekko Fri 15-Sep-17 22:32:52

My osteo recommends those foam ones that look like a large egg box (lots of little pyramids). I'll see if I can find a link.

Fekko Fri 15-Sep-17 22:35:16

Or like this
www.landofbeds.co.uk/tempur/pillows/original-queen-x-large/extra-large

EnidButton Fri 15-Sep-17 22:37:02

You have my sympathy. My neck is really painful. When I do find a good pillow it goes crap after 2 months and then the next one doesn't seem to be the same.

LibertyHill Fri 15-Sep-17 22:37:44

I'm blatantly place marking incase someone else comes along with the answer smile

Memory foam pillows make things worse for me and I am currently using two really soft silentnight pillows (they feel like they are made of air), one gets sort of stuffed into the crook of my neck and the other as normal.

LibertyHill Fri 15-Sep-17 22:38:57

Weird double post!

Eeeeek2 Fri 15-Sep-17 22:45:04

www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlopillo-Serenity-Deluxe-Latex-Pillow/dp/B01H2SUIU4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1505511707&sr=8-5&keywords=latex+pillows+dunlopillo&tag=mumsnetforum-21

The second best thing I have ever bought

Incase you're wondering this is the best thing I've ever bought

www.bensonsforbeds.co.uk/singapore-titanium-mattress/?variantSku=433000002

MyGuideJools Fri 15-Sep-17 22:45:18

I've searched for years and the best thing ever is my feather pillow from ikea. It moulds to my head and neck and I have no more pain.
Memory foam was like laying on a breeze blockconfused

Whatifthisisit Fri 15-Sep-17 22:46:21

Cervical pillow from M&S works for me. £39.50 I think. It is memory foam but supportive and seems to hold your head straight while you sleep front or side

gobbin Fri 15-Sep-17 22:46:59

I have neck and shoulder issues linked to Crohns and I've alternated between my Baavet wool pillow (medium height) and Ikea feather/down.

Ikea pillow

Crabbo Fri 15-Sep-17 22:55:04

I have neck, shoulder and upper arm problems - unsure which bit is the root cause but it affects all of them, and have found for me the best thing is no pillow at all, just a really good mattress. Took a bit of getting used to as I was so used to using a pillow but is so much better now, I have basically no pain unless I decide to use a pillow for one night in which case its instant pain the next day.

princessib Fri 15-Sep-17 22:55:12

I suffered chronic neck pain too and found the only pillow to help was one filled with buckwheat. You can adjust them to how high you need it and it has worked wonders. The calming breath one I'm sure comes with guarantee to work.
I got one for the lady who walks my dog when she complained of pain, she had the same positive reaction as me. Honestly they are great, I'd recommend them to anyone.

wohmum Fri 15-Sep-17 23:06:53

I've got one if those shaped ones which supports your neck and it's so comfortable . It's supposed to keep your neck aligned with your body . Works really well . I'll see if I can find a link

SunSeptember Fri 15-Sep-17 23:17:15

Gibbon how did they make that link...chrons to neck? I have neck pain now. Only pillow for me is ancient and has body to it. The normal soft feather are awful for me like sleep in a Marshall Mellon.

Onthehighseas Fri 15-Sep-17 23:21:09

I have a Mediflow pillow. Its the only one which has been shown to reduce neck pain in clinical studies I think.

EnidButton Sat 16-Sep-17 00:16:50

I'm making a list here!

I had some success with a feather bolster cushion. It was supposed to be a decorative thing on the bed but I realised that having that firm-ish round shape in the crook of my neck gave me the best sleep I'd had in ages. Plus my face wasn't squashed at all. Now of course it's gone softer and I can't find an inner cushion that feels the same. Closest I got though.

EnidButton Sat 16-Sep-17 00:17:45

onthe Is that the 'waterbase' one?

NewUserNameForMe Sat 16-Sep-17 00:40:47

I've recently bought myself buckwheat filled one. I like it as it's easy to squish between my shoulder and head to support my neck. It's the calming breath one from Amazon and has a 7 day return/trial.

officerhinrika Sat 16-Sep-17 00:52:37

I've liked a base pillow with a gusset, like a box, that is a medium / firm feather fill, topped with a very soft, very malleable / squishable down pillow. It works best lying on my back, needs more adjustment for side sleeping.

DaveMinion Sat 16-Sep-17 03:14:29

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/textiles-rugs/pillows/raknörel-ergonomic-pillow-art-60378320/

This has changed my life! I used to be able to sleep on memory foam but this one is the only one not waking up in pain.

silkpyjamasallday Sat 16-Sep-17 07:56:43

I've recently got a cot duvet and pillow for dd but she doesn't use the pillow yet, so I have been using it. Because it is so much smaller than a normal pillow it doesn't bunch up and keep your shoulders and neck at a funny angle. I have reoccurring bulging discs in my lower back rather than my neck but using a baby pillow has relived a lot of general aches and pains. DP stole the pillow last night and said he also slept better for it. Maybe worth a try? I got mine from the white company and it was the microfibres one, I generally use feather pillows but actually like this one it is thin and medium firm.

EvelynWardrobe Sat 16-Sep-17 08:00:47

Baavet wool pillow. You can add or remove wool to get it to the right height. We have a wool duvet too, we sleep in sheepy loveliness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now