Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Childminders who only cover odd days - Is this a thing?

(12 Posts)
WunWun Wed 13-Sep-17 15:38:11

I've just started working part time and my DD is at school. I'm completely new to dealing with childcare so have no idea really!

I'm going to need someone to have her for inset days, some days at half term and the odd day I need to be in longer at work etc

Are there childminders out there who will cover these odd days? I can imagine they're probably all full up with whichever children they have during the week normally..

I'm going to contact some people directly and ask them obviously, I just wanted to get a general feel of what's likely beforehand.

TIA!

WunWun Wed 13-Sep-17 17:53:24

Bump!

hippadoppaloppagorillapig Wed 13-Sep-17 18:38:14

Our old childminder was really flexible. I was working a 24/7 rota that changed every week. I'd let her have my rota as I got it & she covered. She was an absolute star. They are around, but quite rare I would imagine.

AuntLydia Wed 13-Sep-17 18:40:45

If she's over 5 and in full time school then yes, childminders might well be able to be a bit flexible as they're allowed more children in that age group. Definitely worth ringing around.

Peachyking000 Wed 13-Sep-17 18:41:38

The ones I know who would do this tend to be grandparents who childmind and also look after their grandkids. It might be worthwhile to team up with another school parent to share baby sitting for these occasions.

HSMMaCM Wed 13-Sep-17 18:44:52

I take ad hoc days for school children. I don't have any regular school children, just regular under 5s.

For this age group, you are much more likely to find someone who can help.

Bryna Wed 13-Sep-17 18:45:03

Speaking as a childminders assistant- yes that is something that we could do, some of our regular children are term time only so there are extra spaces available over school holidays.

Looneytune253 Wed 13-Sep-17 18:46:59

Yeah I do that all the time. I'm sure there'll be someone in your area too. Just call around.

Unihorn Wed 13-Sep-17 18:50:31

There's a nursery/after school club round here that caters for children up to 9 and takes them in an ad hoc basis so could be worth seeing if there's any similar services offered where you are. Alternatively have a look on childcare.co.uk and message a few potential childminders. Many state on their profiles that they would be happy to work when needed.

Gottalovesummer Wed 13-Sep-17 18:56:30

Another childminder here. I'm usually pretty busy but will always take on children on ad hoc basis0gd I have space

I have 2/3 children that come to me occasionally after school and in the holidays.

Definitely worth asking around the childminders at your school, we're usually pretty easy to spot and happy to talk smile

notthe1Parrot Wed 13-Sep-17 20:24:50

You could ask your child's teacher about the childminders they're familiar with - many parents found a childminder that way in the schools I worked in.

WunWun Wed 13-Sep-17 20:33:35

Excellent. Thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now