Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I call bull shit

(71 Posts)
Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 13-Sep-17 12:29:26

Just heard on Channel 5 news. That the unemployment rate is down 4.3%.
I think a lot of these poor souls have probably had a sanction put on their benefits. To make it look like employment is going up. Oh and if it isn't B.S. I trust job centre staff will be worried sick then. After all let's never forget. The unemployed keep them in work.

MyBrilliantDisguise Wed 13-Sep-17 12:32:23

It's manipulation of statistics.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 13-Sep-17 13:42:21

There's lies, damn lies, and statistics

It's utter bollocks

missyB1 Wed 13-Sep-17 13:43:30

Definitely B.S.

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 13-Sep-17 13:47:20

Lots of people are under or unemployed but don't count as such for the statistics.

Zero hours contract and not having as many hours as they need/want to work. You could be working 4 hours a week and count as employed.

Real and fake self employed people. Uber, deliveroo, people trying to start their own business but not earning much etc all count as self employed so won't count as unemployed even if they don't get much paid work.

MrsPottsTeaCosy Wed 13-Sep-17 13:49:10

Yep, utter BS!

Whiterabbitears Wed 13-Sep-17 13:49:28

Yep utter bullshit, Tory propaganda.

expatinscotland Wed 13-Sep-17 13:50:41

Complete shit! Homelessness way up, too.

opheliacat Wed 13-Sep-17 13:50:52

All governments mess about with unemployment statistics, it has been going on since Thatcher's reign certainly and probably before that.

LadyInDread Wed 13-Sep-17 13:55:10

I wanted to claim jobseekers when my last employment ended. Would have had to go on UC which would mess with and delay tax credits. I couldnt go without tax credits so didnt claim. Luckily DH had a pay rise which meant we manage. Hardly a solution to most people though.

OfficerVanHalen Wed 13-Sep-17 13:55:46

Yes, total bollocks

The gig economy, zero hours contracts, temporary/insecure employment - technically these people are in work but living a hand to mouth existence and still reliant on in work benefits which are often stopped or cut or otherwise fucked about with, esp if hours fluctuate

And the amount of homeless people and street drinkers i see around where i live suggests that more and more people are slipping through the cracks

Still, as long as they're not being counted in the unemployed stats eh.

Anecdoche Wed 13-Sep-17 13:56:39

they do it by redefining what unemployment is.

it is all bollocks.

squishysquirmy Wed 13-Sep-17 14:05:39

I'm unemployed, but not in the statistics. I suspect there are many, many people like me.

SDaddy007 Wed 13-Sep-17 14:08:28

Do any of you know someone who is unemployed and why they are unemployed?

purplecollar Wed 13-Sep-17 14:10:09

I'm unemployed and not in the statistics. I think most people I know don't bother to claim jobseekers allowance because it's so low.

SDaddy007 Wed 13-Sep-17 14:10:52

As for those laughingly calling it "tory propoganda"

The figures are collated and published by the ONS, not the tory party.

purplecollar Wed 13-Sep-17 14:11:31

Just to add, there are very few jobs to apply for here at the moment. Normally it's an area of high employment/opportunities. The only vacancies are for care work, which I can't do for health reasons.

SDaddy007 Wed 13-Sep-17 14:11:35

I'm unemployed and not in the statistics. I think most people I know don't bother to claim jobseekers allowance because it's so low.

<rolls eyes>

NeedsAsockamnesty Wed 13-Sep-17 14:11:44

I know loads of unemployed people, it not my business why they are

Whiterabbitears Wed 13-Sep-17 14:12:24

Yeah the Tory party have nothing to do with high levels of unemployment hmm

tiggytape Wed 13-Sep-17 14:13:08

As always it depends how it is defined and who is included in the stats.

Someone working 16 hours a week isn't unemployed but equally, if they need to work 40 hours a week, their employment status isn't where they need it to be.

All governments spin the statistics to make them look better. Labour was criticised for putting young unemployed people on schemes (the future jobs fund was one that was criticised for this) so that they stopped being on JSA and therefore dropped off the unemployment figures. It wasn't that they were suddenly "truly employed" but equally they stopped appearing in the unemployment figures.

I imagine the current government doesn't count as unemployed anyone who works any hours at all in any capacity no matter how far below their need for more full employment this falls.

opheliacat Wed 13-Sep-17 14:14:11

I think high unemployment is to do with a myriad of reasons, but I can't think of anything specifically linked to the Tories.

DownstairsMixUp Wed 13-Sep-17 14:15:31

Did they not do something similar with poverty? Changed the definition or something (someone correct me if I am wrong) Tory arseholes

FlameCrestedTanager Wed 13-Sep-17 14:16:27

When I've had an employment gap in between contracts I've never bothered to claim JSA. We're able to get by on just one salary and I can't face the hassle of the job centre not understanding my career (and invisible disability) and pestering me to apply for inappropriate jobs. I suspect there are a lot of people like me who don't get counted in the statistics.

SDaddy007 Wed 13-Sep-17 14:16:30

Tiggy

Can I refer you to the website of the ONS:

www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peoplenotinwork

They use the definition of "unemployment" as specificed by the International Labour Organisation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now