Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Thread for everyone who's clearing out loads of unwanted crap

(48 Posts)
tectonicplates Thu 07-Sep-17 11:41:35

I have a few bits listed on Ebay.

Took a bag of stuff to the charity shop last week.

About to put some more worn-out clothes and shoes into some clothes recycling bins.

Feels good to be getting rid of it all!

endehors Thu 07-Sep-17 11:43:42

I started this yesterday, beginning with the clothes, though not yet finished. It's very satisfying isn't it grin

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Thu 07-Sep-17 11:45:25

I watched a documentary called Minimalism on Netflix yesterday and it was massively interesting.

Dowser Thu 07-Sep-17 11:47:29

I started Jan 1 st
Also upgrading house as I went.
Just fab.
I have a beautiful home and feel very lucky.

tectonicplates Thu 07-Sep-17 11:48:18

It's so satisfying.

Every time I have a clearout, I think I can't possibly have any more stuff to clear out, because I got rid of so much stuff last time. I'm always wrong! The is always stuff to get rid of. Somehow it's more satisfying if you do it less often, because you end up getting rid of more stuff all at once.

Dowser Thu 07-Sep-17 12:26:49

I've also freebayed everything , so someone else has had a little leg up as well, especially with my carpets and 6 seater dining set.

Spiderpants Thu 07-Sep-17 12:30:45

joining in, will be starting next week when my youngest starts school.

Crispsheets Thu 07-Sep-17 12:31:43

Yes me!!
Son off to uni and moving house in January. I am ruthless.

PinkSquash Thu 07-Sep-17 12:33:35

Yes! I am trying to get rid of as much as possible before christmas

Eolian Thu 07-Sep-17 12:36:42

I keep having minor de-clutters, but never quite go far enough. Every time I read a minimalist blog or re-read the Marie Kondo book, I feel so inspired by the idea of less stuff, but never really manage to achieve it. I'm just not brutal enough about how much to get rid of. In any case, as I'm only one of the 4 people in the house, lots of the stuff isn't mine!

Camomila Thu 07-Sep-17 13:00:34

Me too, we are moving house in May and I refuse to move crap we don't need from one house to the other.

I am doing a mum2mum market in October to get rid of DSs little baby stuff and then maybe a Christmas Fair in December with DM where we are going to off-load all our knick knacks as 'gifts' - sorry recipients!

'Luckily' we are going to be poorer than usual this year (as I'll be a student) so there will be no frittering money away in H&M.

JudgeRulesNutterButter Thu 07-Sep-17 13:17:22

Me too! I'm playing the minimalist game with a friend: first day of the month you throw out 1 thing, second day 2 things, etc. So today I need to track down 7 things to get rid of. I'm looking forward to DD starting school full time (she's in reception so has a gradual start) so that she'll be out of the house and I can really get into it!

Am also re-reading Marie Kondo to give myself some inspiration...

metalmum15 Thu 07-Sep-17 13:27:04

Me too! Currently finishing off doing up our house ready to go on the market next year so decluttering as I go. Have done kitchen drawers and cupboards, bathroom cabinets, clothes and toys either ebayed or charity shop. Will give the kids rooms a good going over nearer Christmas. I fear moving will be stressful enough without taking tons of crap with us!

metalmum15 Thu 07-Sep-17 13:27:06

Me too! Currently finishing off doing up our house ready to go on the market next year so decluttering as I go. Have done kitchen drawers and cupboards, bathroom cabinets, clothes and toys either ebayed or charity shop. Will give the kids rooms a good going over nearer Christmas. I fear moving will be stressful enough without taking tons of crap with us!

MiaowTheCat Thu 07-Sep-17 13:35:06

I love a good clearout (it always reaccumulates but that's another story) - feels so satisfying when it's all done. I need to do a kids' wardrobe weed out next but I'll wait a while on that.

Saladd0dger Thu 07-Sep-17 13:43:51

I have spent most of the holidays sorting out old clothes to put in the charity bin and taking crap up the recycling centre. I thought it was never going to end! But it has and now after a huge post summer holiday clean I feel fantastic lol.

tectonicplates Thu 07-Sep-17 14:45:09

Part of the problem is that I've gained loads of weight so I have stuff hanging in my wardrobe that I might fit into again one day if I'm lucky. But I realised that many of the items are quite old and I wouldn't want to wear them again anyway, so I've brought myself to put several of them into the charity bag. Still keeping some things I'm undecided about.

ProseccoMamam Thu 07-Sep-17 14:46:57

I love clear outs! I end up getting very carried away though and throwing out things we could actually use. It just feels amazing, everywhere is clean and fresh and EMPTY!

I'm eyeing up my wardrobe as we speak

Abitoflight Thu 07-Sep-17 15:04:25

Here too!
I always feel like September a fresh start. A carful of stuff to charity today ( I took it to where I work rather than where I live in case any treasured crap spotted by DC🙄
Swooped thru utility, spare rooms and pile clothes discarded by dc already. I maybe should have been thorough in one room rather than magpie like but still feels good smile

ItsAllAboutThePace Thu 07-Sep-17 15:05:25

I'm very envious of you all!!

I've always been as minimal as possible..... but I sometimes let it all build up so I can satisfy myself by having a chucking session!grin

Abitoflight Thu 07-Sep-17 15:07:03

As a matter of interest, if u not worn something for 3 years, should it go? Ordinary clothes, not occasion wear? What are your time limits?

Mulberry72 Thu 07-Sep-17 15:08:07

I've got rid of 5 bin bags of crap from mine & DH's room and the spare room over the past two days. Did DS room while he was at football camp in the holidays.

Just the kitchen and pantry to do now! halo

ChoccyJules Thu 07-Sep-17 15:13:35

Am halfway through a mountain of kids clothes aged 0-5. Having piles for Women's Aid (as kids tend to leave home with minimal luggage), charity shop and clothing recycling bin. One item may try its luck on Ebay.
Then it's the cot, pram etc. Thinking of a mum2mum market but you can only have one big item per table and I have 2....so maybe Gumtree.

Calphurnia Thu 07-Sep-17 15:14:03

I have an ongoing charity shop bag at the top of the stairs. Once it's full, it goes: toys, clothes, bits & bobs.

Another 2 bags for outgrown DC clothes to go to friends with slightly younger DC.

I try to intercept gifts & regift as much as possible, I know it sounds ungrateful, but I really don't need anything (although will happily accept stuff I can eat/ drink/ shower with), & neither do the DCs other than new clothes for the eldest.

The challenge will be reigning in DH, GPs and Aunties at Xmas...

ChoccyJules Thu 07-Sep-17 15:14:35

Then it's the art/models/little bits of paper and plastic when they are both safely in school wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now