Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Dr Google has diagnosed me

(20 Posts)
dressinblack Thu 07-Sep-17 01:46:17

With ovarian cancer.

I am shitting myself. I am having a laparoscopy next week after months of pain and for the last few weeks I've also suffered with heartburn and constipation.

Who's the dickhead that googled?! Well I am only human.
I am scared more than ever now.

Please tell me someone has NOT had their fears realised!!

I promise I am a rational person usually.

BritInUS1 Thu 07-Sep-17 01:59:28

Step away from Google, pretty much anybody could diagnose themselves with cancer from looking at Google.

It is much more likely it is NOT cancer. Heartburn could easily be from stress where you have been worrying about things xxx

Gre8scott Thu 07-Sep-17 05:48:24

It disnosges me aiththat all the time as i have same symtoms as you. Ita really scary but i think endo is more likey pm if you like xxx

BossyBitch Thu 07-Sep-17 05:52:25

Never google your symptoms! It's always cancer - except when its rabies or something equally horrible that's definitely going to kill you.

I'm reasonably certain that I'm a medical miracle, having survived various deadly diseases with a combined mortality of what must roughly be 99.9999999993651 percent.

vichill Thu 07-Sep-17 05:57:42

Dr Google gave me a similar diagnosis a few months ago. A real doctor told me that I am actually perimenopausal, prescribed the pill and now I'm cured. There are a many (common and treatable) conditions that cause very similar symptoms. Try not to worry.

jollyjester Thu 07-Sep-17 06:11:17

Google told me I had the plague once. I didn't.

Good luck with your appointment flowers

Shadow666 Thu 07-Sep-17 06:13:01

It's like that line in Sex and the City

Charlotte: You can diagnose yourself over the internet?

Miranda: Sure. Just type in your symptoms and wait for the word cancer to appear.

Rituparna Thu 07-Sep-17 06:22:04

I am 29 yrs old and my pregnancy 12w1d report of Beta Hcg is 43.0 ng/ml and ppa a is 0.99miu/ml
And the trisomy 21 risk is 1:23450, indicate low risk and trisomy 13/18 risk is <1:10000,indicates low risk
What is the meaning of this? Is it all right? And abnormality Is there or not?

Gorgosparta Thu 07-Sep-17 06:23:35

Mum diagnosed herself with lung cancer on google.

She then told me that 'we all googled it', me included. I told ger i hadnt. Buy googled it in front of her and low and behold there were tons of people saying they had the same thing and it was nothing.

When peopl3 google they tend to pick up on stuff that agrees with their thoughts.

I had tests to check for ovarian cancer after displaying symptoms. All was fine but i did find out i had pcos. Not much of an issue as i already had kids.

dressinblack Thu 07-Sep-17 09:08:35

Thank you everyone for talking me down!! flowersflowers for all of the well wishers.

I swear I am not usually this dramatic but having been treated for anything they have suspected and it not making a blind bit of difference, I am highly anxious about the lap.

Gre8scott - My suspicions are endo so I have researched a bit into it just in case so I am prepared for it if it comes to it, I hope you don't suffer as much as me!

TonicAndTonic Thu 07-Sep-17 09:15:09

flowers OP, it's really easy to get yourself worked up by symptom checking online. I google-diagnosed myself with MS earlier this year, and I work as a scientist! Thankfully after a while bunch of tests it turned out to be something very minor. Hoping you get good news from your laparoscopy.

Welldoneme Thu 07-Sep-17 09:16:12

I once googled a self diagnosis and for some reason it told me my ideal dog!!

Keep away from it and leave it to the professionals x

Ethereall Thu 07-Sep-17 09:18:11

Last year Dr Google told me I was about to drop dead and get myself to hospital immediately. Needless to say I didn't go and am still here......

user1471462428 Thu 07-Sep-17 09:21:50

I had this last year and had an ovarian cyst and endo. I'm underweight with massive belly so an easy conclusion to jump to. The consultant also thought so too.

lljkk Thu 07-Sep-17 09:28:05

You heard all the news stories this morning about Cyber-chondria right?

Sorry to hear that over-counter medication hasn't helped your heartburn & the constipation. Hopefully they can find the right treatment quickly.

dressinblack Thu 07-Sep-17 10:14:04

No I hadn't lljkk but I shall definitely read up now!

I have had horrendous pelvic pain since June and it took until a couple of weeks ago to see a consultant gynae and he took one look and immediately decided I would have the surgery. I do think I have worked myself up a little and I am almost certain I have endo but since the heartburn has turned up I'm just shitting myself as reproductive cancers run in my maternal family.

user1471462428 Probably not the correct turn of phrase but I am glad that you have said that as my bloating belly has concerned me, at first I thought I was getting fat but my appetite has decreased if anything. So that does reassure me, thanks.

If you don't hear from me next week then Dr Google got it wrong and I have dropped dead.

user1471462428 Thu 07-Sep-17 10:26:20

I was referred to as Daddy long legs. Had no appetite and it just kept getting bigger. I managed to not get a single stretch mark in pregnancy but that cyst turned my into a stretch mark map. Good luck seeing the doctors, I found it all very worrying but was operated on in May. I've had ovary removed and found myself pregnant the following month. My pain is also gone which is fab!!

dressinblack Sun 24-Sep-17 07:42:24

If anyone is interested I had extensive endometriosis removed.
Thank you for the reassurance again blush

user1471462428 Sun 24-Sep-17 08:42:39

I'm so glad it's endo but better than the alternative! Take care during your recovery

abbsisspartacus Sun 24-Sep-17 08:51:44

Happy to hear this 😁

By the way did you know cures for heartburn can cause constipation xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now