Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Penguins - anyone up for a dry September

(148 Posts)
cherrymix Thu 31-Aug-17 23:36:36

Where are you all? Anyone overindulged over the hols? Start of school term always feels like a new start for me and DH is on board too.

Would love to have some company in a sober month

cherrymix Fri 01-Sep-17 08:49:29

Anyone waddling past? Day 1 here

Spuddington Fri 01-Sep-17 09:20:51

I'm with you. Slipped into the habit of having a drink after work every night without fail (pub work).

Ready for a dry one this month.

cherrymix Fri 01-Sep-17 09:58:07

Hello spud. All going fine so far - well it is only 9.56.

Lovely day here. Just doing the last things to get DC ready for school return. Planning a run tonight at peak temptation time to get me feeling super healthy.

Were you on the Dry Jan thread?

Crunchymum Fri 01-Sep-17 10:01:16

I'll be with you in spirit!

I have been teetotal since 31st May, am now 18 weeks pregnant with a surprise 3rd baby shock so I have dry January covered too grin

I am hoping my teetotal time can help me reset my relationship with wine. God I miss it though!

Spuddington Fri 01-Sep-17 11:13:55

No, it's my first attempt at going dry. Drinking when the pub shuts is such a big thing in the industry and it's making me feel awful all the time.

TheZeppo Fri 01-Sep-17 12:02:32

Me!! But, erm, I need one day off mid-September as I've bought my best friend tickets to a gin festival and doubt she'd be impressed drinking alone!

FallisMyFavourite Fri 01-Sep-17 12:15:35

I'm on board! :-) Just trying to think of what I can treat myself with instead, to curb the urge to drink wine.

HemanOrSheRa Fri 01-Sep-17 12:22:37

Hey cherry grin <waves>. I'm doing Sober Sept. I have completely overindulged over the school holidays - cartwheels, back flips and flick flacks off the healthy food/no booze wagon confused. I was doing so well too <sigh>. I have a slight problem in that I am going to a mini festival/music event with a friend tomorrow that I booked AGES ago. My friend likes a drink but is able to control herself, whereas I get over excited.......I'm going to try and abstain.

cherrymix Fri 01-Sep-17 12:24:43

Wow crunchy congratulations flowers.

Fallis - I have just discovered non alcoholic gin and tonic in Tesco. Well its actually something like 0.5% which in my book doesn't really count. But its pretty good - I don't actually drink G&T that much so not sure how much it is like the real thing but its a nice drink, comes in a grown up style can, feels like a bit of a treat with a slice of lemon or lime.

cherrymix Fri 01-Sep-17 12:29:02

Hi Heman me old chum. I think 1 day exeats are allowed for pre-existing appointments - just try not to go too mad grin. Are you taking drinks with you or buying them there? If the former could you take some non alcoholic options? I have found the non alcoholic beers work quite well as they last a longish time.

HemanOrSheRa Fri 01-Sep-17 12:47:57

Not allowed to take own drinks in sad. My dear friend has a will of iron. She said she isn't going to have an alcoholic drink until 8pm. Like a normal evening out. Which is the sensible thing to do grin. If I can't abstain I will do that. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES will I turn into a big fat over excited labrador puppy and start drinking at 3pm. No.

cherrymix Fri 01-Sep-17 15:36:28

You can do it heman. You were a top star soberista last year if my memory serves me right. Just get in the zone, although admittedly one AF day is usually not enough to get the real AF feel good factor.

Wondering if any other DS penguins are out there as tea time approaches

cherrymix Fri 01-Sep-17 18:40:18

Fishing for some feathered friends? Anyone else joining us?

How you all doing dry chums? Sipping an AF G&T. Feeling good.

Spuddington Fri 01-Sep-17 19:33:21

Well it's Friday night and I'm serving alcohol until 2am which is hard.

thenewaveragebear1983 Fri 01-Sep-17 19:49:00

I want to do this, we don't drink a lot but we do drink regularly (every Friday and Saturday) and it buffers up my diet. I need to lose some weight! This is the first Friday in a very long time we won't be having a glass of wine!

cherrymix Fri 01-Sep-17 20:15:16

spud - that would be an awful temptation for me. In DJ had to purge the house of all booze. Stay strong - I salute you.

Welcome tnab - Fridays are always tricky. But its really nice waking up clear headed on Saturday morning. Haven't managed my run yet - may do it later this eve or get up early in morning and head out. Its been such a beautiful day and going to be nice tomorrow too - maybe a last sea swim for the end of the school hols.

cherrymix Fri 01-Sep-17 23:02:46

That's Day 1 done. Hope everyone else had a good evening. Thinking of you spud with 3 hours left to go. Hopefully you'll be knackered and slump into bed with prospect of waking up refreshed in the morning.

DramaAlpaca Fri 01-Sep-17 23:07:58

cherry as another original penguin <waves> I wish I'd seen this thread before I opened the bottle of wine beside me or I'd have given dry September a go too. Dammit!

I'll happily cheer you all on from the sidelines though.

Crunchymum congratulations!

Spuddington Fri 01-Sep-17 23:33:31

I've already been invited for a drink afterwards, managed to decline.

RhythmNBooze Fri 01-Sep-17 23:42:20

I'm in. Both dh and I have been drinking way too much and decided whilst we were on holiday to do a dry September. Bought in lots of nice non alcoholic drinks and haven't missed it yet.

cherrymix Sat 02-Sep-17 14:52:44

Run done. Washing done. Items ebayed. Second hand school uniform bought. Feeling clear headed and productive.

Off for a walk and to buy mocktail ingredients for mocktail nite

cherrymix Sat 02-Sep-17 17:59:19

How's everyone getting on? Any late joiners feeling tempted as Saturday evening tea approaches?

Well done spud for yesterday. Will the same temptation come up tonight?

Sheitgeist Sat 02-Sep-17 18:28:33

Aw you're too early for me... I like to do sober October! Wishing you all strength, self discipline and good health, though! smile

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 02-Sep-17 20:09:31

I actually enjoyed being sober last night and woke up refreshed today. Today will be difficult though, as despite agreeing with Dh that we would not drink in September, he's cracked and gone to get a bottle of wine as he's had a tough day with the kids poor poppet. I don't feel like I'll be tempted, partly because it pisses me off that he's broken so easily and I want to prove I can do it. However, historically I have no willpower so who knows. Might check in here for support during the evening!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now