Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Advice-7 week old sleep...

(9 Posts)
wildone81 Sun 20-Aug-17 23:59:55

posted in sleep but putting it here too for traffic. I'm Driving myself nuts about my 7 week olds bedtime routine and looking for advice/some reassurance that I'm not setting us up for a hard time...sorry...it's going to be a long post!

More often than not she goes down awake, sometimes almost asleep, and I stroke her head (and repeatedly replace her dummy) till she goes over - can take anything between 10 minutes and an hour. sometimes though I have to pick her back up and cuddle her till she's properly in a deep sleep and I'm getting myself all kinds of stressed about creating bad sleep habits.

I'm maybe being totally unrealistic about getting her into a routine but having never done this before I'm at a bit of a loss!

For info, and in case it helps with any advice, she's FF, taking 5oz 5 times a day and is sleeping roughly 8 hours when she does go down (appreciate how lucky we are for that!)

AhAgain Mon 21-Aug-17 00:28:42

Do what works for you, what you are comfortable with. What you are doing sounds fine to me.

If your baby goes down at a similar time each night, is soothed to sleep (in a way you are happy with) and sleeps in a 8 hour stretch (that you also make the most of), then that sounds good. smile

manglethedangle Mon 21-Aug-17 00:56:49

At 7 weeks very few babies have a routine. At that age mine wouldn't sleep unless on me or DH. So evenings were spent with him nestled in the crook of my arm whilst we watched Netflix or played board games.

He also only slept for 45 minutes at a time before he needed feeding again!

Do what works, routine comes later.

TittyGolightly Mon 21-Aug-17 01:11:18

You cannot create bad habits with a newborn.

Google the fourth trimester - biologically speaking your baby should still be inside you where everything was on their terms, not yours. Then do whatever works and you won't go far wrong.

Copperbeech33 Mon 21-Aug-17 01:13:38

what you are doing sound absolutely fine, and won't create any "bad habits"

BertieBotts Mon 21-Aug-17 01:32:44

You have been listening to too many "sleep gurus"! smile

She's only little, she needs to know you're nearby because she doesn't have any experience of the world without you in it yet. It's scary for her, so it's perfectly normal that she wants cuddles or at least to have you close when she's going off to sleep.

Check with HV about feeds as I'm not sure about only 5 feeds a day - is that 5 over a 24 hour period, because it doesn't sound like very much to me. Perhaps other posters can clarify, maybe it's okay with FF.

That said mine went 8 hours at 7 weeks too until the dreaded 4 month sleep regression grin Enjoy it while you can, don't expect anything to last (including the cuddles) and don't worry about habits. Just solve the issue in whichever way seems to work best for how.

3luckystars Mon 21-Aug-17 01:59:14

Your baby is sleeping 8 hours?

wildone81 Mon 21-Aug-17 10:32:48

She is, and I'm thanking my lucky star every day!

3luckystars Mon 21-Aug-17 11:30:58

So what is the post about. You should be giving me advice!!!

Enjoy it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now