Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How can I stop my babies climbing our their pushchair

(22 Posts)
stressedtwinmom Sun 20-Aug-17 21:04:50

My dtwins ate 20 months old and whenever I go out at least one of them will try to get out. It's quite honesty driving me mad! I would love it if someone had a genius solution to share with me to keep them sat in the pram smile I've so far tried food, drinks, toys & books but they soon get bored with that. How am I supposed to manage carrying two babies whilst pushing a double pram confused

stressedtwinmom Sun 20-Aug-17 21:05:41

Are not ate

Justmuddlingalong Sun 20-Aug-17 21:07:37

Use reins along with the waist belt fastening thingymajig to keep them securely contained.

abbsisspartacus Sun 20-Aug-17 21:08:02

Different straps? Dd could get the straps off in her mother care one but not in the graco iyswim

SloanePeterson Sun 20-Aug-17 21:08:37

Ds was a proper Houdini. I had to put him in reins and then thread the pushchair straps through these, there was no way he was escaping that wink

Slowcookerheaven Sun 20-Aug-17 21:08:42

Reins attached to the D rings and do the straps on the buggy tight too.

Want2bSupermum Sun 20-Aug-17 21:12:22

You have to be really strict and nip it in the bud. Every single time they start to get out of the stroller stop and put the brake on. Jump in front and put your hands on the DCs shoulders telling them sternly to sit down. Make it clear that if they get up the stroller stops.

At 20 months they might sadly be ready for walking next to the stroller. It's harder on you but it does wear them out.

Want2bSupermum Sun 20-Aug-17 21:13:11

Also you can use a chest clip to keep them in.

stressedtwinmom Sun 20-Aug-17 21:13:15

Ah I see! I will get some reins. The pram is on the tightest settings so I hope the reins will fit a bit more snug

stressedtwinmom Sun 20-Aug-17 21:15:10

Want2b I would sometimes like them to walk but I will struggle with 2 babies and pushing the pram on my own. Poor babies didn't ask to be twins

Batteriesallgone Sun 20-Aug-17 21:15:49

Reins, have them take it in turns to walk with you next to the stroller to burn off the energy. Thread the straps through the reins when they are in the buggy for containment.

If they are energetic and good walkers, could you get a single with a buggy board and have them take it in turns to sit in the chair or walk/ride? I don't have twins so don't know if that's actually feasible, just wondering.

stressedtwinmom Sun 20-Aug-17 21:22:56

Batteries that's actually a really good idea! I will try the reins for a few months then if not maybe get a buggy board. I never thought of that

PotteringAlong Sun 20-Aug-17 21:26:05

My Dsis has twins and she did the single and a buggy board thing and it worked well - swap them in and out when one got tired but get used to walking too.

RandomMess Sun 20-Aug-17 21:26:14

I had to put an extra chest strap on my pushchair! I think you can get a Houdini wrap but the reins would work well.

CustardOmlet Sun 20-Aug-17 21:28:43

Wouldn't saying "no" clearly and consistently be a cheaper option? Enforcing boundaries and all that.

Batteriesallgone Sun 20-Aug-17 21:30:12

I have to say I definitely wouldn't want both twins out of the chair at the same time plus trying to push the damn chair! But you do need to wear them out so swapping them in and out should help with that. Depends how long you go out with them for - I imagine the dream is a bit of walking each then they both fall asleep grin (although that wouldn't work if you were using a single!)

Batteriesallgone Sun 20-Aug-17 21:31:48

Ah Custard have you never had to sit for a long period and really wanted to stretch your legs? Letting them walk a bit is kinder than disciplining them into staying still surely. Plus better for them.

Want2bSupermum Sun 20-Aug-17 21:34:58

custard haha!!! That's what we did.

OP - I would only let one walk at a time and put a harness on them. Good behavior in the stroller will get them a walk. I would also give them a few sharp and short 'No' whenever they make their first move to make an escape.

DD1 had a bad habit of playing with the car door lock. Yes it was kiddie proofed but it seriously scared the bejesus out of me that it wouldn't work or she would be in a car which didn't have the kid locks on. I pulled the car over and gave her a rollicking. She has not done it once since. She is 6 now. Did it when she was about 22 months.

stressedtwinmom Sun 20-Aug-17 21:49:04

Thanks everyone you've given me some great ideas to try smile custard yes we did try that but I definitely prefer the suggestions I've read on here as opposed to two screaming babies !

dobbythedoggy Sun 20-Aug-17 22:00:48

Coat on backwards helped to slow ds down. Strap him in and put the coat on over the straps!

ferriswheel Sun 20-Aug-17 22:40:26

Cross the straps over behind them.

Witchend Sun 20-Aug-17 23:13:37

Handcuff them together grin

With dd2 I used a ribbon that tied the stripes together higher and it was enough to stop her. Although she learnt to undo the straps before she was 2yo, so I gave up and let her walk. Straps were not easy to undo either.
Ds was more determined. I got the leather reigns which fasten at the back and they hooked on to hooks at the bottom of the buggy.

Dd1 loved the buggy and never tried to get out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now