Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What was normal in past, that would be shocking now?

(448 Posts)
brasty Fri 18-Aug-17 19:19:36

I am mid 50's. In my first job, people smoked in the office. My boss was a heavy smoker and his office was always full of cigarette smoke. I hated it, but its just the way it was.

Also when I started working with children, I remember us going to the pub at lunchtime and drinking alcohol. No one ever had more than one drink.
Both would get you sacked now days.

drspouse Fri 18-Aug-17 19:22:11

Letting children ride in the luggage compartment of my mum's Renault 4.

WellErrr Fri 18-Aug-17 19:22:59

We all used to play out on the streets, from around age 6. The bigger ones kept an eye on the little ones, and you had to be in when the streetlights came in, except for in summer when someone's mum would come out and yell.

mamaduckbone Fri 18-Aug-17 19:24:04

At secondary school teachers smoked in the staff room at lunchtime - you could smell it if you ever had to go up there.
My teacher in the last year of primary school regularly threw board rubbers and even a chair once when people misbehaved.

Ofthread Fri 18-Aug-17 19:24:21

Wiping your bum with dried leaves or moss.

TsarinaPeggy Fri 18-Aug-17 19:25:52

Going on school trips in various parent volunteers' cars. Usually 8 kids to a car, no seatbelts and the driver smoking.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 18-Aug-17 19:27:03

I was talking about this with my apprentices at work. Neither of them can quite believe that you could smoke on buses and planes when I was a child, and that there was a smoking room in the hospital for patients and visitors. It made me feel ancient.

KatsutheClockworkOctopus Fri 18-Aug-17 19:28:05

My maths teacher used to take groups of kids (mostly girls) on trips to France on his tiny boat as a reward. Safeguarding/health and safety nightmare.

brasty Fri 18-Aug-17 19:28:39

I remember colleagues working with kids complaining when they were told they could not smoke in front of the kids. They thought it was over the top.

Whatshouldmyusernamebe Fri 18-Aug-17 19:28:52

When I did my work experience 15 years ago there were smoking rooms. Seems mad now.

Kez100 Fri 18-Aug-17 19:30:59

The way teachers treated us. Sometimes it was just fun banter but it would never be viewed as that now.

Smoking is a huge change. Non smokers were the outcasts then.

BrawneLamia Fri 18-Aug-17 19:31:31

Well it depends how far back you want to go. Historically lots and lots of things. Slavery, burning witches at the stake, treating illnesses with leeches...
In my lifetime, smoking everywhere and not wearing seat belts.

I wonder what we do now that our children or grandchildren will find shocking?

Gatekeeper Fri 18-Aug-17 19:32:32

I'm nearly 54 and can remember being made to go into the school staff room in primary school (cutting the air with a knife with the smoke) and being made to wash up the teachers cups, spoons and whatnot

i can also remember in the 1st year at secondary school (1975) having to wear navy knickers as part of the uniform. At the start of PE our games mistress used to make us line up and lift the hem of our skirts up so she could check we were wearing 'regulation'

HerOtherHalf Fri 18-Aug-17 19:34:29

God, where to start.

The rampant racism, sexism and misogyny on TV.
Smoking everywhere, including on planes.
Drink driving was pretty much socially acceptable.
Derogatory terms for people with disabilities, homosexuals etc were part of the common vocabulary.
Corporeal punishment in schools.
Raw sewage dumped in the sea, not-so-fond childhood memories of routinely coming face-to-face with a joby when swimming at the beach.

ClashCityRocker Fri 18-Aug-17 19:34:39

On a long car trip we would travel overnight. Mum and dad would put the back seats down, chuck in blankets pillows and duvets and make little beds so we could sleep in the back.

And it seemed EVERYONE smoked everywhere.

We used to play out from 8 in the morning, take half a sandwich and an apple with us and rock up at home for six that night for tea from the age of about six up.

From 8, I used to get myself ready and walk the mile and a half to school as both parents were at work and older brothers left earlier. I would be the first one home and my job would be to light the fire for when the others came in.

sleepingdragon Fri 18-Aug-17 19:35:19

Leaving younger children at home alone in their cots to do the school run. Common in the 1980s apparently, but unimaginable now!

specialsubject Fri 18-Aug-17 19:37:06

Oh yes, staff room smoke!!! Strangely I don't recall smelly teachers though, but it looked to be a blue fug in there. Plus offices full of topless calendars (I did manage to get the gynaecology type one removed...) And clouds of smoke.

I remember the school bus, riding on the back shelf or on the engine next to the driver. And the same as gatekeeper, it was a different school as a different colour but good grief...

I am early 50s.

Crunchymum Fri 18-Aug-17 19:37:56

One of my 6th form campuses had a smoking room. For students shock

brasty Fri 18-Aug-17 19:40:06

We were allowed to smoke in the 6th form common room.

SomeOtherFuckers Fri 18-Aug-17 19:40:29

@Crunchymum my 6th form had outdoor smoking shelters for the students ... I left in 2013 😂😂

tobee Fri 18-Aug-17 19:41:29

Playing on building sites. I remember riding on a raft in the deep water filled foundations pit of a knocked down neighbouring house. I was about 4. 😱No adults around. This was the 70s. Not just after the war by the way!

SandysMam Fri 18-Aug-17 19:43:06

I watched an episode of an old medical drama, Always and Everyone (A&E) on Gold or the like the other day. It was only from about 10 years ago, but the doctor examined someone he thought was a woman but turned out to be a man. The whole storyline was focused on how funny this was, called her a "tranny" and generally laughing at how he didn't know this woman really had balls. It was so transphobic.
I was amazed to see how far things have come and pleased that attitudes have changed towards genuine gender reassignment cases.

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 18-Aug-17 19:44:30

Riding in the boot of the car
Sitting on adults laps in the car
No seatbelts in the back of the car
Being left alone in the house from about 5 year old
Walking to school alone from the same age
Getting lifts from teachers in their own cars
Buying fags from the shop as a child on the basis you had a note from your mum
Being left in the car outside the pub with a panda pop and a packet of crisps

MiddlingMum Fri 18-Aug-17 19:44:59

sleepingdragon I was left at home asleep in the 60s while DM did the school run. Probably on my own for about 30 minutes shock I used to love waking up and finding everyone else there.

Boys being caned at school. Not the girls though, so I suppose that was sexist in its way.

Travelling in the boot of the car. Or kneeling backwards on the back seat so we could use the shelf behind as a play table.

Actually, most of what was acceptable in the 60s and 70s would be banned, or at least frowned on now. It's a wonder any of survived to tell the tale.

MooPointCowsOpinion Fri 18-Aug-17 19:45:43

Not wearing seat belts, being left in the car to watch my younger siblings when mum went in Tesco to do a two hour shopping trip (felt like!)

My DH used to smoke inside in the pubs and clubs we went to just 10 years ago. Very few places made people smoke outside back then.

Both parents working? Owning two cars?

Our culture is more disposable now, no-one descales a kettle anymore they just get a new one. Bathrooms ripped out and replaced every 5-10 years, kitchens too. Something breaks, replace and not repair.

First thing that came to mind was obviously slavery though but I think you're thinking more recent history (though slavery is still happening today). It was only 60 odd years ago that the first black students were allowed in previously all-white schools in America. That's fucking ridiculous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now