Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you do a wash every day...

(41 Posts)
drspouse Fri 18-Aug-17 09:17:21

Do you just bung in a small number of clothes and mix them?
Save up and do whatever there's most of (darks etc)?
Have specific days for each type of wash?
We're on holiday s/c and we don't have many clothes with us so I'm putting on a wash every day. But it's not something I normally do! And my (slightly latent) sense of order is disturbed by putting whites and colours in together.

Intransige Fri 18-Aug-17 09:20:47

I wash by type, so I wait until there is enough of each. Towels, sheets, whites, pales, colours, wool/silk, tea towels, cleaning cloths etc. Whites with colours makes them go kind of grey from the coloured fluff.

On hols I usually over pack so it's not an issue!

HughLauriesStubble Fri 18-Aug-17 09:24:55

Have 3 dcs and a dh so at least 1 wash hoes on here daily. Have a big laundry basket upstairs and a small basket at the washing machine and clothes just get brought down in piles. If something is urgent, it goes straight in and alike clothes get washed with it. Otherwise, it's whateber there's most of in the small basket that gets washed. We have 3 types of wash- whites/lights, medium colours and darks. I will try to get just towels and bedclothes in by themselves as they dry evener but it doesn't always work out that way.

WashBasketsAreUs Fri 18-Aug-17 09:27:27

^ This.
I wash most days ( God knows how as there's just the two of us!) and it's darks , lights, hot dark wash and light hot wash. However this week my washing machine has had 2 days off as I didn't have enough of each particular wash, sure it thinks it's Christmas!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 18-Aug-17 09:28:05

I never mix colours in case they run. I always do a full wash,there's always tons that needs washing in this house.

CaptWentworth Fri 18-Aug-17 09:29:35

I only seperate into 3 groups: Whites/pale; Colours/darks; and baby stuff. The baby stuff is washed with different powder and at a higher temperature. Until I had a baby, we only used 2 seperate baskets. I like the laundry done and not sitting in baskets. My whites stay white. I put towels in with clothes etc mixing colours and darks has never caused any problems.

Teutonic Fri 18-Aug-17 09:29:55

Yes.
Whites on a Saturday.
Coloured on Tuesday and Friday.
Bedding on Wednesday.
Towels on Monday and Thursday.

zeebeedee Fri 18-Aug-17 09:31:51

do whatever there is most of, or create a load by changing sheets etc, I do a load almost every day. Teens have to bring their stuff to the bathroom, so sometimes it is a load jus of one persons clothes, cos they have had a clear out under the bed etc and found loads of stuff that needs washing.....

arnoldbarnacles Fri 18-Aug-17 09:33:26

Dylon colour catcher sheets. I wash every day. (I have a toddler and a baby!) Everything together on 30 in one load. Nothing runs. I do towels and bedding separately on a hot wash.

JennyPeanut Fri 18-Aug-17 09:36:27

I just wait until I have enough for a load. I never mix categories. So one day whites or darks or bedding or towels. That may mean on some days there are no loads ready.

drspouse Fri 18-Aug-17 09:38:25

I use the Dr Beckmann colour catchers (they are reusable) but I still don't like putting colours in with whites!
Our cleaner hangs up a kids clothes wash, and changes everyone's sheets. She comes on a Friday so usually it's a mad weekend rush to get everything done. I suppose we could just save the sheets for Mon/Tues.

megletthesecond Fri 18-Aug-17 09:39:37

I do some small loads to keep on top of it. Usually two loads a day. I only have one pair of work trousers so they go in every evening.

whatithink Fri 18-Aug-17 09:43:06

Yes.
Our bedsheets Friday
Towels Saturday
Try not to wash Sunday but do if there are things to wash
Childrens bedclothes Monday & dark clothes
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday wash at least 2 out of 3 days with dark clothes wash. Will probably do 1 white clothes wash a week, more if kids at school and need white shirts washing.

WindyWednesday Fri 18-Aug-17 09:44:37

I didn't know the colour catcher sheets are reusable!!!

I've been binning them.

Maryann1975 Fri 18-Aug-17 09:46:47

I tend to do lights on a Monday and Friday and then wash everything else together as it needs doing, but probably a wash every day. I don't tend to find colours runnimg is a problem on the odd occasion I wash something light in with the darks.

drspouse Fri 18-Aug-17 09:51:09

Windy only the reusable ones are reusable...

Batteriesallgone Fri 18-Aug-17 09:51:50

I chuck everything in together on 30. Never had any problems apart from towels, but I've tried every which way with towels over the years and I never seemed to be able to keep them fluffy anyway. So now I think fuck it and just chuck em in with everything else!

Oldraver Fri 18-Aug-17 09:53:59

I wash by type as and when, no system apart form doing the red school clothes on a Friday.

I very very rarely wash on holiday we going soon for a week and I wont do any washing unless something gets really muddy

ElspethFlashman Fri 18-Aug-17 09:57:45

We bung everything on together. Oddly nothing has ever run.

So clothes, towels, sheets.....as soon as the machine is full it goes on. Probably once a day but if it's raining I'll skip a day on purpose as our dryer is crap and we have to either peg out or dry in the airing cupboard which takes a couple of days.

IheartCaptainHolt Fri 18-Aug-17 09:58:29

I just bung it all in together. Usually on quick wash although towels and bedding I do on 60.

reek Fri 18-Aug-17 10:00:24

I do smaller washes every other day as it's only DS and me, so if I waited for a full load we'd have nothing to wear!

I separate the washing into darks, whites, reds and colours. And I put my bras and any white tops with a colour on (usually DS's printed t-shirts) on the handwash setting. School uniform gets washed on a Friday night.

PoohBearsHole Fri 18-Aug-17 10:01:03

Towels and Sheets on a Tuesday.

Other than that, as and when we have enough of one thing (never a problem with 4!)

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Fri 18-Aug-17 10:03:18

I do around 3 washes a day on average. Always a coloured clothes wash every day with 4 of us and 5 or 6 outfits. Usually mainly darks. A light/whites every 3 days ish. Reusable nappies every 2-3 days. Towels every other day. Kids bedding every few days (toddler and baby and toddler is very sweaty and his nappy often leaks due to crazy drinking through the night). Our---- bedding once a week sometimes longer depending on whether I can be bothered.
Then random bits in between, e.g. Delicates, bath mats, door mats, blankets, footmuffs etc.
I sometimes wonder how I actually fit in a full time job, 2 kids and 2 hours commuting a day. I remain in awe at people who tell me they get ahead of the game and do their 2 weekly washing loads on a Thursday so they have the weekend free hmm

FenellaMaxwellsPony Fri 18-Aug-17 10:03:43

Lights, darks, and sheets and towels. Between me, DH, baby DS and the dog I have enough for a load every day!

caffeinestream Fri 18-Aug-17 10:04:11

There's only two of us so we tend to do four loads a week. Whites, coloureds, sheets/towels and DP's work stuff - he's a plasterer and his stuff needs to go on a hot wash on it's own!

As I only do one load of whites/coloureds a week, there's pretty much always enough to fill an entire load. Tend to do all four loads on my days off/weekends as we don't have a drier and I don't fancy getting up at 6am to get it washed and pegged out before work, and I don't like the idea of leaving damp washing sat in a machine all day (our machine isn't fancy enough for a delayed timer!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now