Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Talk to me about cheap 'paradise' holidays :)

(51 Posts)
marmiteisgod Thu 17-Aug-17 08:31:35

I'm just coming to the end of a really long work stretch, I haven't had a holiday in 7 years.

I'm single at the moment and funds aren't great, but I'd really like to go somewhere as different to England as possible, preferably beachy like Thailand (but I'm aware Thailand is quite risky ATM) DP can't come as he has prior commitments to DSS so its a bit of an adventure for me!

I can in theory book last minute as long as its for the week/s I'm free.

Suggestions very welcome!

marmiteisgod Thu 17-Aug-17 08:32:14

Sorry bad phrasing when I say I'm single I mean a single traveller.. doh!!

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Thu 17-Aug-17 08:36:06

Sri Lanka

ShatnersWig Thu 17-Aug-17 08:37:14

I think it might help to suggest what your "cheap" is as that can be hugely different for different people. May help us give better suggestions.

marmiteisgod Thu 17-Aug-17 08:41:19

I can't afford thousands. To be honest I'm not sure what's realistic now as I haven't been away for years. I will spend enough money to get a hotel/bnb as opposed to hostels, and will fly economy. Saving money where I can

MozzchopsThirty Thu 17-Aug-17 08:48:26

Hong Kong?? I've been 3 times in 18m and it never fails to amaze me
There are cheap hotels and if you eat in small local places the food can be cheap.

Depending on how well organised you are flights can be as little as £420
I've got a hotel next year for me & 2dcs, six nights £502 inc breakfast
However as a single traveller Airbnb would be a good option too

Rafflesway Thu 17-Aug-17 08:56:14

Nothing "Risky" with Thailand as opposed to anywhere else - we travel there often! They quite regularly have some sort of civil unrest in Bangkok but that doesn't affect tourists unless people are silly enough to get involved. Beach resorts - not Pattaya though as very sleazy - absolutely fine. (Have been travelling there annually - including Bangkok on many occasions - for nearly 30 years and never seen any problems at all, even when it was once during an attempted military coup!)

You need to be careful with weather at this time of year as in many destinations - long haul - it is rainy season.

Personally I would suggest looking at Hua Hin/Cha-am area in Thailand or Hoi an, Vietnam. Both reasonable in price, weather generally ok at this time of year, people/hotels lovely and eating out is very cost effective.

LapinR0se Thu 17-Aug-17 08:57:17

Mexico is great value. The all inclusive places around tulum are very high quality and you have white sandy beaches with turquoise water, turtles and stingrays etc.

2014newme Thu 17-Aug-17 08:58:56

Don't go to Dominican Republic, the poor person's Caribbean

Stickaforkinimdone Thu 17-Aug-17 09:02:50

Thailand isn't risky, not in the grand scheme of things-I'd pick Thailand over Turkey (for example) any day of the week
They just like a good coup is all-it's practically a national past time
Go to Thailand, or try Vietnam

You'll have a great time

BubblesBuddy Thu 17-Aug-17 09:05:15

I would look at companies like Exodus, Tucan or Just You so you can travel with other solo travellers. I cannot imagine spending a beach holiday on my own. Far better to join a group and travel a bit. So many options and not too expensive either if you are not too ambitious with the destination or wanting higher end hotels.

ShatnersWig Thu 17-Aug-17 09:07:33

Bubbles That's part of why I asked my initial question. I wouldn't describe Exodus or Just You as "cheap"

TronaldDumpy Thu 17-Aug-17 09:18:11

Personally I'm over SE Asia. Too much traffic nowadays (can't cross roads) and too expensive. Why don't you consider Eastern Europe? There are still some cheap countries there and you'll still catch the sunshine.

Idrinkandiknowstuff Thu 17-Aug-17 09:30:45

Have I missed something? What's risky about Thailand? confused

Genuine question, we've booked to go in February, sixth time we've been but not for two years so now wondering if there's something I don't know.

FledglingFTB Thu 17-Aug-17 09:38:03

Croatia island hopping?

FledglingFTB Thu 17-Aug-17 09:49:53

Actually I enjoyed Cambodia much more than Thailand. Lots of history, culture and beaches. Very affordable.

greendale17 Thu 17-Aug-17 09:51:23

Another vote for Sri Lanka.

Or how about Malaysia?

Trevorthebikethief Thu 17-Aug-17 09:57:15

Don't go to Dominican Republic, the poor person's Caribbean.
How to sound slightly condescending!

MiniMaxi Thu 17-Aug-17 09:58:20

Air bnb or cheap guest houses in Barbados

We had a brilliant time and didn't spend a fortune

EssentialHummus Thu 17-Aug-17 09:59:18

What's your budget? I think Croatia is a good shout for beaches, low flight costs, low accommodation costs etc.

travailtotravel Thu 17-Aug-17 10:05:46

Do you want to lie on a beach in the sun, or do some stuff while it's sunny. The answer will bring up various options.

I personally love SE Asia for a good bit of sun and culture, and suggest Cambodia as a wild-card option.

ineedwine99 Thu 17-Aug-17 10:06:19

Is this too expensive? www.kenwoodtravel.co.uk/indian-ocean/seychelles/discover-seychelles/
The Seychelles are amazing. Take a look at travel agent pages, a few seem to have offers on now, Kuoni had a thailand offer that i spotted on facebook

Teddy7878 Thu 17-Aug-17 10:08:52

Goa in India doesn't cost a huge amount (Thomsons have some good deals and fly direct)

marmiteisgod Thu 17-Aug-17 10:27:35

@Idrinkandiknowstuff I have a thai friend who said that its a bit dicey if I'm a Western woman on my own.

Also, the travel advice on the UK Gov website is a little daunting. But I'm sure you'll be fine if you've gone before and aren't alone

marmiteisgod Thu 17-Aug-17 10:29:06

Thanks for all responses I'll get googling!

I'd like to spend less than or around £1000 if possible but again not sure if this is realistic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now