Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Children at festivals

(20 Posts)
Mummabearof2 Wed 16-Aug-17 15:53:57

We are due to go to a small local festival for the day soon. There is a large kids arena so we were planning on taking our 4 year old and toddler during the day and getting a babysitter at home for them in the evening so we could return for the music. Our babysitter has now fallen through and I am running out of options. Would it be so bad if they just stayed with us for the evening?! Would it be really irresponsible to take them to the evening?! Has anyone got any tips for two small children at a festival?

Flimp Wed 16-Aug-17 15:59:28

It depends on the kind of festival but I personally really hate to see little kids out late at night at festivals. They always look so tired/cold/bored and generally just wishing they were in bed poor buggers. T

I was at one festival/gig thing (the Blackheath one) where a couple had their kids asleep on a picnic blanket in the dark in the middle of the crowd. I only know because the bloke stopped me from stepping backwards on to them shock

Ledkr Wed 16-Aug-17 16:09:13

We take ours to loads from babies. As long as they are warm and cosy it's fine.
Up until dd was 5 I took a big lie back buggy, with a hood and when she got tired it her i her onesie and she went to sleep.
Mine love dancing to the bands and doing all the fun activities I've never had a problem with it.
Have v this weekend which I won't be taking my youngest to but my 15 year old and her mate.
The following is a local family one and dd6 is really excited. I'm taking a small beach tent for her to snuggle if it gets chilly.

Mummabearof2 Wed 16-Aug-17 20:02:45

Thank you both. I'm so torn! There will be loads of families there during the day and it has a good reputation for families but I'm just not sure about the evening. I guess families camping or staying over would still have their children around. We would keep to the side of any crowds so we don't just put the kids in the middle of it all.

I only have 1 buggy which my youngest would use so unless I could find a double to borrow for the day my eldest would be on his feet all day. I asked him if he'd be happy to stay and he said he loves late nights but I suspect in reality I would just embarrass him with cheesy dancing grin

MumIsRunningAMarathon Wed 16-Aug-17 20:05:04

A 4 year old? No, no I wouldn't

Babymamamama Wed 16-Aug-17 20:07:39

No I wouldn't do that. Could you drop them to a relative and come back later? By the way you may want to invest in ear defenders for them as well. For the day time part. And bring double pushchair for napping.

Equimum Wed 16-Aug-17 20:13:55

We were at a big camping festival earlier in the summer and huge numbers of very small children were up, watching the bands during the evening. We had a wagon and a sling, so both children could get comfortable. We also made sure they were warm and had blankets etc. Our 4 year old happily slept in the wagon. It's a one off and really won't hurt long term. (And we are generally quite strict about bedtime)

ArriettyMatilda Wed 16-Aug-17 20:21:47

I'm surprised at the number of pp saying they wouldn't do this! We've been to a couple of festivals when my dd was one and two, and both times she was up with us into the evening and fell asleep as it got dark, which meant we could carry on dancing and seeing the comedy. First time she was in the sling and second time in the buggy. It was perfectly manageable.

My mum and dad started taking us to a small festival when I was about 8 years old and my younger sibling 3 years old and we bloody loved staying up late and listening to music and falling asleep under picnic blankets

It might be worth seeing if the festival has wagons for hire or if you could get hold of one, it will be a long day even for the four year old and it would mean they could sleep and be out of harms way later in the evening. Eaf defenders are great if they will wear them! You'll all have a great time, especially if it's a small local one as you say.

MumIsRunningAMarathon Wed 16-Aug-17 20:54:12

Where's the 4 yr old in this scenario going to sleep?

NormHonal Wed 16-Aug-17 20:58:01

Hire a wagon or borrow a buggy, blanket, ear defenders - sorted.

Take glow sticks and an iPad for the 4 year-old just in case, but I'd be willing to bet they will either fall asleep or still be dancing with you until 11pm.

Mummabearof2 Wed 16-Aug-17 21:50:05

I didn't know about wagons - with get on the case for that, thank you. The 4yo sleeping/resting is my main worry - the little one will have the buggy but unless I can get a wagon or double buggy he will have to just be held if needed. I will try to get a wagon.

We have no family nearby at all who can have them and all other options have been exhausted. The original plan was to take them home in the afternoon for the babysitter and then go back out again but that fell through unexpectedly. It is very local so the kids can be in their beds within 10-15 mins of being back in the car at the end.

Ear defenders are on my list for during the day too, thank you for the reminder.

Thank you all for your tips - certainly sounds as though it is doable if I can get a wagon/buggy for my eldest too and won't scar them for life!

Mycarsmellsoflavender Wed 16-Aug-17 22:45:21

Take some battery operated fairy lights to drape around the buggy or wagon. The wagons are good because you can fit both children in together. It's like a trailer that you pull around. If there's no camping though, they probably won't have them for hire. Wheelbarrow for the 4 year old?!

PaperdollCartoon Wed 16-Aug-17 22:49:06

Wagons are the way forwards, people get very creative at festivals. Either big rectangle ones you pull around (fill with pillow and decorate with fairy lights)
I've also seen bike wagons like this picture with an attached bar so you can push them like a buggy

MrsKCastle Wed 16-Aug-17 22:54:13

We've been taking our kids to festivals since the youngest was one. It's fine. Usually at day festivals they just stay up as it's all so exciting. It's probably a good idea to have some option for sleeping though, could you borrow or buy a really cheap fold-up pushchair for the 4 year old?

Take a bubble wand or three as well. They're fab for keeping children happy at festivals.

gillybeanz Wed 16-Aug-17 22:55:54

Depending on the music volume, it may be wise for ear defenders.
Mine have been going to music festivals since they were babies.
Do find out if other kids will be there or if they are likely to be bored.
It will be no fun for you both if it isn't entertaining for the kids.

IfYouDontImagineNothingHappens Wed 16-Aug-17 23:08:23

Take them!

Either borrow a buggy so you have one for each kid, use a wagon or a bike trailer or put the oldest in a buggy and sling your youngest. Ear defenders and keep the snacks coming. Possibly take a portable potty with disposable bags in case the loo's have long queues. Go at their speed.

smerlin Wed 16-Aug-17 23:14:24

We just took our 3 nearly 4 year old. She loved it! We left at 10 so only saw a bit of the last band. She just seemed to be getting tired then although protested a lot when we said it was home time. Unbelievably, they had seating at the back of the main stage (Latitude) so we sat down for a bit late afternoon and she had a nap across the chairs.

There were children's activities in the day too.

We didn't need a wagon but they seemed v popular so definitely try to get one.

DumptonPark Thu 17-Aug-17 00:57:17

Definitely do it. I took my 4 year old to one and he lasted til midnight 2 nights in a row. He refused to use the wagon and ear defenders I bought especially for the occasion! Hope you have a great time.

Ledkr Thu 17-Aug-17 08:57:26

Some festivals have wagons for hire.

Freshlysqueezed Thu 17-Aug-17 09:24:52

Definitely do it. I have been taking my two since they were 6 months old. A few late nights now and again are not going to hurt!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now