Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I can't take it anymore

(54 Posts)
supermangotnothingonme Sun 13-Aug-17 03:30:34

I've had heart palpitations for hours. I've had them since about 2pm on and off. I've put it down to anxiety, they were quite bad at work earlier but they went away in end. I've been trying to sleep and now they've come back with a vengeance I can't take it anymore.
Waking my DH up and my toddler so I can go to a&e over probably an anxiety attack is something I don't want to do but I need this to stop, can't take it anymore.
I've had them more and more over the last few days and it's getting ridiculous now.
Just needed to vent while I decide what to do next.

FlippertyJibbit Sun 13-Aug-17 03:33:11

Not sure how to help but didn't want to read and run, are you able to try something distracting? A rubbish game on your phone? I find when I'm up in the night Mumsnet and mindlessly scrolling through Facebook helps get rid of enough anxiety for me to fall asleep again

supermangotnothingonme Sun 13-Aug-17 03:37:18

I've tried distracting myself but I wasn't anxious when they started, I wasn't anxious at work but I am now because they won't go away. I feel like I want to burst into tears because I'm so desperate for it to stop. It's torture.
Feels like my heart is beating so so fast but my pulse is fine 78.
I've had anxiety attacks in the past hyperventilating the works but nothing like this.
I feel like my throat is closing but I'm pretty sure that's the anxiety part.

FlippertyJibbit Sun 13-Aug-17 03:43:39

I don't think your DH would want you feeling like this alone, can you wake him up for a chat?

Funnily enough im up at the moment, not with anxiety or palpitations, but just happened to wake up for no reason and can't get back to sleep angry trying to look for these blinkin' meteors but much too cloudy here.

RebootYourEngine Sun 13-Aug-17 03:46:19

Get your dh to say some numbers and then you repeat them back to him. Not in order though just random numbers.
Eg 1 2 3 7 0 5 7 then you would repeat that.

Saw this on tv and thought what a load of rubbish but i tried it and it worked.

TanteRose Sun 13-Aug-17 04:10:38

Try breathing to this - palpitations are so stressful sad

31.media.tumblr.com/b1406ea40336dc68e5404b380c391d96/tumblr_nsj9tcMOgY1qkv5xlo1_500.gif

Isadora2007 Sun 13-Aug-17 04:14:41

Not sure what a and e would do for a panic attack?
Can you get up and have some herbal tea and watch tv?
You know your pulse is normal and you're not having a medical emergency so can you convince your body of this by acting "normally" ?
Would a guided meditation app help?

BlueTimesTwo Sun 13-Aug-17 04:19:12

Have you tried coughing a few times? It does something to your vagus nerve and "resets" it - my GP told me this and it works for me.

AlwaysLurking Sun 13-Aug-17 04:20:06

Why don't you give 111 a call and speak to someone about it, they may be able to offer some advice.

Isadora2007 Sun 13-Aug-17 04:21:00

Oh yes- did was told to bear down like she was trying to poop to stop a panic attack.
Also, Why not let yourself have a good cry if that's what you need?

horacemorris Sun 13-Aug-17 04:49:21

Hey Supermango, you're not on your own, I am wide awake with the same symptoms. I just can't settle at all. Hope you are feeling a bit better now. Anxiety sucks! flowers

Mummyoflittledragon Sun 13-Aug-17 04:56:54

Can you afford some counselling? I had heart palpitations the day I went to my therapy session and my therapist stopped them through visualisation work. This is her book. It's very calming. I think her number may be in the book. www.amazon.co.uk/Rhymes-Life-Freedom-Wendy-Dunning-ebook/dp/B00H2ZRG0I?tag=mumsnetforum-21

HighlyCompetentExWife Sun 13-Aug-17 05:04:56

I am suffering too, tonight. As a PP said, bearing down helps, or filling your cheeks as though you are blowing up a balloon... I'm going to mske some tea. Usually watching the sun rise helps me...

horacemorris Sun 13-Aug-17 05:08:31

Are you going to make an appointment to see your gp Supermango?

supermangotnothingonme Sun 13-Aug-17 08:14:52

Thanks everyone. I finally fell asleep about 5 and up at 7. It's not as bad but still niggling away in the background. I tried both bearing down and blowing cheeks. Also tried relaxation videos on YouTube. Nothing worked. I think I just fell asleep in end because I was so exhausted.
So as long as my pulse is normal and not racing, heart palpitations is nothing to about is that right?

QueenLaBeefah Sun 13-Aug-17 08:17:53

It might be worth visiting your GP as it can be a sign of an overactive thyroid. Hope you feel better soon.

junebirthdaygirl Sun 13-Aug-17 08:22:10

Make sure you are not drinking coke even diet or coffee. Both can set off heart palpitations.

supermangotnothingonme Sun 13-Aug-17 08:24:40

We don't have a walk in centre here but we do have a minor injury unit would it be terrible of me to go and see if they can stop it?

MamaMagellanic Sun 13-Aug-17 08:27:39

Are you hydrated OP? I ask because I get stress/anxiety related palps and they're much worse when I don't drink enough water.

supermangotnothingonme Sun 13-Aug-17 08:36:22

Got myself a bottle of water when they started again about 3 am been drinking and peeing since. Plus I drink lots of water at work so not dehydrated.
I don't know what else to do
18 hours this has been going on now I don't know how much longer I can take sad

wannabestressfree Sun 13-Aug-17 08:39:11

Go and see someone: you need some medication!

supermangotnothingonme Sun 13-Aug-17 08:42:17

I'm worried about wasting doctors time or being made to feel like a hypochondriac but I'm going to go because I literally can't take it anymore it's pure torture and after 18 hours I can't make it stop, I need some kind of intervention

Kittyp75 Sun 13-Aug-17 08:48:01

Personally I would go to A&E. have you checked your pulse? If it feels fast then Defo go. If not you could be having ectopic beats that can feel like palpitations. Are you on any medications i.e. Depressants that can affect the electrical conduction of the heart.
If you don't want to go to A&E then give 111 a call they can advise you over the phone. 18 hours is a long time to be feeling like this.
Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Fairylea Sun 13-Aug-17 08:48:54

I suffer with dreadful panic attacks and have actually gone to a n e several times with chest pains and palpitations - I've had 3 ecgs and blood tests etc. It's very hard to believe it is "just" panic.

The only thing that works for me is really brisk walking with an iPod playing music through headphones. It sort of resets my heart rate - when you're in a panic your heart is beating fast for no real reason and your adrenaline is telling you that you need to be ready to run from something. If you walk really fast then you use up some of the adrenaline and your body relaxes as it recognises your heart rate is raised because you're exercising. The music through the earphones stops you being so aware of your body and heart rate which helps you to relax. It really works for me anyway.

CheckpointCharlie2 Sun 13-Aug-17 08:50:51

I stopped drinking tea (and coffee) because of this. Try that op. But for now, I would go and get it checked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now