Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Teenage daughter wont leave house

(45 Posts)
Sineadear352 Sat 12-Aug-17 14:36:42

I am at my wits end. My daughter whos coming 13 yrs will not leave house because of her acne. Ive bought all washes, creams from boots to help. Even brought her to a herbilist but still nothing is working. She hasnt left house in 3 weeks and it wont be long till she back at school. Any advice would help greatly.

squoosh Sat 12-Aug-17 14:38:28

Bring her to the GP. Sometimes antibiotics are the only thing that will work.

cathyandclare Sat 12-Aug-17 14:42:52

flowers to your poor daughter. Take her to the GP, there's a ladder of treatments to work through, the GP can prescribe and then refer to a dermatologist if necessary. If it's significantly affecting her life/mental health that's an indication that she needs help ASAP. I had acne and it is miserable.

There are great treatments. I took roaccutane at 40 (it's a very effective drug but has potentially serious side-effects) and it changed my life, I wish I'd taken it decades before. But even without roaccutane there are other prescribed medications that are better than over-the-counter stuff.

Also invest in a brilliant concealer that matches her skin tone, it makes it easier to leave the house.

Leeds2 Sat 12-Aug-17 14:43:09

Would second taking her to the GP.

Have had a couple of friends whose DC got treatment from the GP which worked. Another one didn't have any success, but fared much better at a private dermatologist. (Don't know how much this cost!)

MissBax Sat 12-Aug-17 14:47:46

You have to heal the body from the inside - I tried so many different topical treatments, antibiotics, roaccutane 3 TIMES!! I went vegan and within 2 weeks my skin hadn't got a single new spot - now 2 years on and I never have to worry about spots again. I'm sure most people will disagree but trust me!

hellsbells99 Sat 12-Aug-17 14:49:40

Straight to the GP. In the meantime try cutting out milk from her diet - get almond milk, and get a good concealer like the Collection one from boots.

ShitOrBust Sat 12-Aug-17 15:57:35

Roaccutane is probably the only option now. And it was the only thing that ever worked for me.

Also - it didn't make me want to kill myself as, someone will be along to tell you any minute now, - in fact, it improved my mood no end because at the end of the course of tablets, I was no longer a ball of spots and had the best skin ever.

Sugarcoma Sat 12-Aug-17 16:04:30

OK this is bit woo but worth a try - was a tip from a girl at school and I thought it worked well for me - is washing her face in very cold water.

Looby4 Sat 12-Aug-17 16:04:58

What about the Pill- Yasmin worked wonders for my DD

QueenVictoria11 Sat 12-Aug-17 16:18:14

Hugs to your daughter. I suffered with acne from about 12. At 15 I went to the doctor and he prescribed oral antibiotics (oxytetracycline) and they worked brilliantly within weeks for me.
The topical antibiotic treatment was not as effective.
Over the years I have used several oral antibiotic treatments (because effectiveness seemed to wane after about 6 months) as well as topical treatments and contraceptive pill. My acne disappeared of its own accord but not until I was 40! Try and insist on oral antibiotics. My confidence and self-esteem took a huge knock because of my acne. Hope your daughter gets a treatment that works for her and if antibiotics don't work then roaccutane would be next step. Agree that mood will be better once skin is clearer.

mywayalltheway Sat 12-Aug-17 16:42:30

My DD14 has cream from the GP, the brand name is Duac and it has worked wonders for her. Her skin was quite bad and getting her down but now it looks great, she still gets the odd one or two but that's all. The cream really dries the skin leaving it red and a bit sore/itchy at first but within couple of weeks you could start to see a big difference. Definitely worth a try for your DD.

60percentbanana Sat 12-Aug-17 16:59:54

Definitely worth a gp visit. My eldest went through duac/tetracycline/something else and the effects have been life changing for her.

BannedFromNarnia Sat 12-Aug-17 17:44:01

Some people's skin reacts badly to the drying ingredients in a lot of acne products - try oil rich cleansers like lush ultrabland to avoid irritating it. It sounds mad but honestly changed my skin massively.

If you can find various proper fancy chemist that does a range of French or Korean skin care they tend to have excellent ranges that are great for oily skin but non drying.

That said, it does sound like gp time to me. Hormonal birth control can do spectacular things so don't rule it out Bruce if her age.

Babyroobs Sat 12-Aug-17 17:46:00

My 16 yr old ds has had terrible acne and now my 14 yr old ds appears to be starting with it too. You need to get her to see the Gp adap. Early intervention is best as once it takes hold the results can be horrendous. My eldest ds has had treatment with Roaccutane as a last resort. It is a very strong drug with nasty side effects but we felt we had no chouce as his scarring is awful already. Gp will refer to a dermatologist. Good luck.

OrphanAccount Sat 12-Aug-17 17:47:59

She needs to see her GP. There are lots of things that can be tried, and if they don't work you can asked to be referred to a dermatologist.

NeverEverEver Sat 12-Aug-17 17:51:17

GP appointment.

newusernamefornow Sat 12-Aug-17 17:57:05

Yes, GP. Only thing that worked for me at that age was the pill (didn't try Roaccutane due to existing depression).

sadeyedladyofthelowlands63 Sat 12-Aug-17 18:17:16

Definitely GP. I had hideous acne as a teenager and the only things that worked were the tablets/creams he prescribed.

Callamia Sat 12-Aug-17 18:24:14

Definitely go to the GP.
I've tried oral antibiotics (effective while taking them), roaccutane (the thing that actually sorted my dad broken skin out for the long-term), and now I have a tube of duac for the odd break-out. Mine was definitely hormone-related, and it's made me so much happier to stop wasting money on things that do nothing, and focus on using things that have an actual effect. I've wasted SO much money...

PippaPug Sat 12-Aug-17 18:39:04

I have taken roaccutane (even with mild depression before hand) it was a miracle drug! Not saying your daughters skin needs that strong treatment but I would be taking her to the GP asap to see what they can offer - hopefully within 3 weeks it can start to clear some of it up and she can feel better...also not sure where you live but the sun always helps my skin too may be worth seeing if you can coax her into the garden for a while?

youarenotkiddingme Sat 12-Aug-17 18:40:14

Oh gosh - your poor DD sad

I also had terrible acne and it was awful. I remember the go suggesting I try the pill and just completely breaking down saying I didn't want hormones etc.

I suggest going to see the gp - I used zineret at first because it dries the skin but then started roaccutane. This was back when it was a fairly new drug but after years of suffering it cleared it up pretty quickly.

Let me send your DD some cake and lots of empathetic hugs.

LucieLucie Sat 12-Aug-17 18:42:32

Definitely cut dairy and sugar from her diet immediately and look at having her tested for food intolerances.

Ask GP for a referral to a Dermatologist who will do more thorough investigations of the cause of her acne and will have better range of treatment available to prescribe for her.

user1487671808 Sat 12-Aug-17 18:43:12

DD was put on Microgynon to help her skin at the age of 15. It helped regulate her cycles too which was useful for her with school etc and has helped her skin no end. She gets the occasional spot but it's rare and she's so much happier.

Ceefax101 Sat 12-Aug-17 18:46:14

Nearly 30 years of shit skin here. 18 months ago the doctor put me on lymecycline. I think I've had two spots since. May not work for everyone but try it.

EnidButton Sat 12-Aug-17 18:54:29

Definitely take her to the gp. They can try anti-biotics. Topical treatments might be too harsh for her young skin. Roaccutane is a last resort treatment.

Over the counter acne treatments tend to be too harsh too imo. I had the most success treating my skin like it was sensitive. Avoid products with shea butter in. My skin loathes salicylic acid, which is in a lot of products aimed at acne prone skin. I like the La Roche Posay Toleriane cleanser.

Also try to get her to avoid refined sugar and consider cutting out wheat. For me personally that had a very positive effect.

Anti biotics cleared my skin up completely. Unfortunately after fertility treatment I became prone to mild acne again and then Zyneryt really helped.

Good luck, flowers to her, it's a very hard thing to deal with at any age but must be especially hard at her age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now