Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What do you think is a waste of money at weddings?

(292 Posts)
littlepinkgiraffe Thu 10-Aug-17 18:50:55

And what is necessary? Is there anything you've seen or often see and think is nice but a waste of the couple's money and you be happy to go without as a guest?

Redglitter Thu 10-Aug-17 18:51:47

Photo booths have to be the biggest waste of money without a doubt

DustinGee Thu 10-Aug-17 18:52:17

Favours and "candy buffets".

scaredofthecity Thu 10-Aug-17 18:53:08

favours.
evening food is a must though... And as much included alcohol as you can afford!

RNBrie Thu 10-Aug-17 18:53:13

Favours. Chair covers. Massive centrepieces.

TeenAndTween Thu 10-Aug-17 18:53:56

Silly money on a wedding dress
Evening dos
Weekend long hen / stag parties
Evening dos
Staying overnight
Did I mention Evening dos?

DustinGee Thu 10-Aug-17 18:53:56

The worst part of any wedding, for me, is standing around while the photos are taken. So tedious.

scaredofthecity Thu 10-Aug-17 18:54:07

oh and pudding and wedding cake... just choose one

NerrSnerr Thu 10-Aug-17 18:54:18

Chair covers.

KeepCalm Thu 10-Aug-17 18:54:57

Favours can be lovely if done properly. We had a winter wedding so gave each guest a christmas tree decoration and each year since they have mentioned they use it and what a lovely reminder it is.

We didn't have wedding cars. Got a lift off my Dad.....

IdentifiesAsASloth Thu 10-Aug-17 18:55:05

Ridiculously fancy venue.
Flowers
Ott decorations

Basically all the 'stuff' that people feel they need. I'd rather have the money behind the bar, a decent meal and a bloody good cheesy disco.

MelvinThePenguin Thu 10-Aug-17 18:55:14

Favours. Nobody really wants them anyway! If food and drink is not reward enough, then that guest is not your friend.

That said, if you really want them, I made iced biscuits for a relative's favours. Very cheap, went down well, nobody had to politely put them in their bag. They just ate them.

SharonStrzelecki Thu 10-Aug-17 18:55:30

Favours
Post boxes

Scribblegirl Thu 10-Aug-17 18:57:08

Favours. If I can't fit it in my tiny handbag it gets left, sorry! (I am planning our wedding and that's my criteria for favours)

I think most entertainment outside of booze and music is a bit overrated TBH. The young ones want to drink and dance and the oldies want to catch up and reminisce in my experience!

chipsandpeas Thu 10-Aug-17 18:58:06

any extra entertainment, a disco or a band is enough imo if you get your timings right

NapQueen Thu 10-Aug-17 18:58:59

Favours.
Chair covers unless the venues chairs are ugly. The worst is when the daytime has covers then the evening has more people so the room has half covered chairs and half uncovered. Just take them all off or rent more!
Save the date cards.
Photographers who cost ££££ and compensate for it by taking an age and daft "posed" shots.

Spend on:-
Quality and quantity of food
Enough booze for a glass while mingling after the ceremony, a glass or two at the meal, a glass for the speeches/toasts.
A decent dj/band/similar. None of this "one two one two, shabba!" Over crap music.

1stDinkyDecker Thu 10-Aug-17 18:59:09

money, spending so much on one day, when it could make your life easier.

favours, nope, I don't want to stuff it in my bag to stick it in the bin the next day

TurnipCake Thu 10-Aug-17 19:00:23

Favours
Chair covers
Photobooths
Sweetie jars/bars
Anything twee like poetry to tell you when to throw confetti or stuff that says Yay! on it

MrsMoastyToasty Thu 10-Aug-17 19:01:25

Karaoke. It divides your guests into 3 groups.
1. The singers who can sing.
2. The singers who can't!
3. People who would rather be anywhere else than near anything resembling karaoke.

welshweasel Thu 10-Aug-17 19:02:15

I think money is best spent on food (both quantity and quality important), alcohol and a bloody good band.

RiverTam Thu 10-Aug-17 19:04:52

Agree that what needs to be provided but often isn't is drink, nibbles and somewhere to sit during the interminable photo-taking.

Agree that chair covers and pew decorations are ludicrous.

McTufty Thu 10-Aug-17 19:05:25

I actually appreciate most touches at weddings, I do notice flowers and centrepieces and nice decor! Lots of people do. But it is very much secondary to food, drink and guests' comfort - don't spend money on anything else till you have that covered.

Blackandpurple Thu 10-Aug-17 19:05:26

The guests.

So glad i never had any. Big weddings are overrated. The chocolate fountain/dirty dancing copy dance/homemade vinrage jars filked with sweets/photo booths/those fake lips and tashes on sticks/mr&mrs stuff from Home Bargains.

List is endless

McTufty Thu 10-Aug-17 19:06:18

One thing I don't like at weddings - organised fun e.g. ceilidh, line dancing etc

BobbinThreadbare123 Thu 10-Aug-17 19:06:41

Pretty much everything except decent food and drink and the band or disco.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now