Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Perseid meteor shower 2017

(75 Posts)
MumIsRunningAMarathon Sat 05-Aug-17 10:30:04

Anyone planning on viewing these? Seen any already?

It's a school holiday tradition that we usually trek out somewhere to watch.... or sit in the garden

Due to peak next weekend

CloudPerson Sat 05-Aug-17 10:32:23

Thanks for this.
Every year I plan to take a blow up bed thing up to the moors with a flask of hot chocolate, then forget all about it.
This might be the year I actually do it!

CloudPerson Sat 05-Aug-17 10:32:25

Thanks for this.
Every year I plan to take a blow up bed thing up to the moors with a flask of hot chocolate, then forget all about it.
This might be the year I actually do it!

MumIsRunningAMarathon Sat 05-Aug-17 10:42:24

I couldn't see any other threads. Definitely somewhere away from light pollution this year as there's a full moon on the 7th so the moons glare won't help

SleightOfHand Sat 05-Aug-17 10:46:32

Hope the clouds stay away. :-)

YouMakeMeFeelLikeDancing Sat 05-Aug-17 10:50:40

Thanks for the heads up! DS (18 on Monday) is autistic and loves anything to do with space/astronomy, it's lovely to see him excited-ish about something smile

millionsofpeaches Sat 05-Aug-17 10:53:48

We'll be watching. Always make an effort to see some as its such a magical experience. Dd (nearly 6) tried to stay awake last year, but didn't quite make it, so hopefully this year she'll get to see some.

Moogdroog Sat 05-Aug-17 10:57:13

I saw one last night, though I was blissfully unaware that this was going on at the mo - saw one through a gap in clouds 😊

MumIsRunningAMarathon Sat 05-Aug-17 10:58:57

Mine are older now...but it's something fun to do with older kids and teens

We often sit out on clear nights waiting for the ISS to fly over

We have some good conversations whilst gazing at the night skies!

millionsofpeaches Sat 12-Aug-17 21:21:40

Looks like it's going to be clear here tonight, so Perseids are go. DC in bed though after a v busy day, so just me and dh in our sleeping bags in the garden smile

Youcanttaketheskyfromme Sat 12-Aug-17 21:22:46

I might have a quick peek

blamethecat Sat 12-Aug-17 21:26:23

It's always cloudy here for it and this year looks to be the same.

MumIsRunningAMarathon Sat 12-Aug-17 21:27:32

Cloudy here too

Seen none this year... not one

StatueInTheSky Sat 12-Aug-17 21:28:38

i will have a peek but it is looking cloudy here and won't be proper dark until gone 11. <very far north>

it's worth looking out for the geminids and orionids later in the year...darker much earlier, so more chance of seeing them. Octoberish and Decemberish iirc.

elephantoverthehill Sat 12-Aug-17 21:32:14

We did watch last year, I will have a look tonight. The ISS is great to watch and a bit mind blowing too.

RatOnnaStick Sat 12-Aug-17 21:36:42

We watched from our garden last year. Lovely clear night, I woke ds1 at 3am and we saw loads. It was magical.

No chance this year, city centre hotel and very sleepy children.

LurkingHusband Sat 12-Aug-17 21:49:14

It's that time of year again ...

LurkingHusband Sat 12-Aug-17 21:49:43

A sumptuously-hardbound coffee table book of 230 full-colour plates celebrating the very best of skygazing disappointments. From crap comets to fog-hidden planetary alignments, this unspectacular guide allows the keen astronomer to fully experience traditional views of heavenly events without the bother of a fruitless trip outside the front door.

Boasting magnificent images of no less than 96 different kinds of rain and snow, plus the 31 distinct cloud formations which can kill a solar eclipse.

bakingcupcakes Sat 12-Aug-17 22:03:05

I'm planning to stay up for a bit and watch. I stayed up last year but it was too cloudy/we were too town centre based to see anything. No idea what it's like out tonight. Does anyone know what time it's meant to peak? BBC news said from 11pm.

TestTubeTeen Sat 12-Aug-17 22:08:47

I am in a rural area of the SE, totally clear sky, very starry (that's the extent of my astronomy knowledge), what direction should I look in?

blamethecat Sat 12-Aug-17 22:13:46

Up ? grin

RCOR Sat 12-Aug-17 22:15:06

Look to the north east TestTube

StatueInTheSky Sat 12-Aug-17 22:19:11

hahah, LurkingHusband in another alterego on Blipfoto I have masses of photos of cloudy skies, absent comets, meterors that went the other way to my camera

Who'd have thought a book deal was the way to go? grin

bakingcupcakes Sat 12-Aug-17 22:26:51

Is it really bad I don't know which direction north east is from my house?! I know how to look up though! grin

StatueInTheSky Sat 12-Aug-17 22:31:58

baking...if you know where the sun sets, that is west

face that direction and quarter turn to you right, that's north

on the whole you should be able to see meteors any where in the sky , but they should track back to the NE

also, unless it is a fabulous one you are very unlikely to be able to "track" it they are just too quick, chances are if someone is pointing at a meteor and you all get to see it, then it's the 21 53 from Paris to your nearest airport.

Also try and use your peripheral vision to see them....your central vision is pretty poor in the dark, so gaze aimlessly at the sky and chill out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now