Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

So all petrol and diesel cars to be banned from 2040

(459 Posts)
SoPassRemarkable Tue 25-Jul-17 23:23:41

I'm hoping by then that technology will have improved and electric cars will go further........maybe hydrogen cars will be more popular than electric.

But if everyone drives an electric car how on earth are people without drives going to charge them up? My car is parked on the road outside my house, will I be allowed to trail an extension lead across the pavement? What if I can't get parked outside my house? Will every bit of road have a charge point per car length?

stuntcamel Tue 25-Jul-17 23:26:52

Well, I can't see that happening.

Justgivemesomepeace Tue 25-Jul-17 23:27:37

I was wondering the same thing! I can't get parked on my street sometimes and I have a 30 mile commute. What would I do? And would the car park at work have charging points for everyone? What if I went for a day out a really long drive away? Would I be able to get back?

SoPassRemarkable Tue 25-Jul-17 23:29:27

Michael Gove has apparantly announced it. No new diesels or petrols allowed to be sold after 2040.

SoPassRemarkable Tue 25-Jul-17 23:30:51

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-petrol-diesel-ban-cars-vehicles-britain-sales-fuels-fossil-government-a7860181.html

Justgivemesomepeace Tue 25-Jul-17 23:32:09

I might have retired by then and only need to potter to Morrisons and back. Phew.

BoneyBackJefferson Tue 25-Jul-17 23:33:58

Ah yes gove, a man who has no interest in actual evidence to support his claims or policies.

he is still a huge fucking wanker.

SoPassRemarkable Tue 25-Jul-17 23:34:21

Good point. I'd nearly be due my bus pass!

engineersthumb Tue 25-Jul-17 23:34:24

Charging is to slow so if we are still using recognisable battery technology it would probably rely on pack exchange. This would also remove the service life issue around batteries. All cars would have to take a standardised pack, not so far different I concept to all cars utilising the same fuel grades really. Hydrogen is a bad fuel for transport, being non compressable its large in terms of storage / energy density and its very inefficient to manufacture (electrolysis around 40% or so). Just a guess but I think with improved battery technology and standardisation it's possible.

SoPassRemarkable Tue 25-Jul-17 23:35:40

Agreed.

Fucked up education, now fucking up my caravan towing capability......though potentially saving the world. Of course we still have coal fired power stations. Will they be banned by 2040?

engineersthumb Tue 25-Jul-17 23:35:47

But I am sure that I detest gove... no guess required there!

JaniceBattersby Tue 25-Jul-17 23:35:56

There is no way this will happen. HTH.

5OBalesofHay Tue 25-Jul-17 23:36:06

You might have to use public transport if you can't charge a car.

SoPassRemarkable Tue 25-Jul-17 23:37:48

Pack exchange? So you take the battery out one day and charge it up at home and pop your spare battery in? Aren't they going to a bit heavy? My caravan leisure battery weighs a tonne! Or does pack exchange mean something a garage will do once a month?

SoPassRemarkable Tue 25-Jul-17 23:38:41

Public transport won't tow my caravan to the Yorkshire Dales for a holiday!

Kpo58 Tue 25-Jul-17 23:38:54

Diesel should be banned in Towns.

I'm not convinced on the electric car idea. We are still likely to be burning fuel at power stations to generate the electricity and you do loose electricity the further you have to cable it.

engineersthumb Tue 25-Jul-17 23:41:08

I was thinking along the lines of pulling into a "filling station" and swapping out for a charged pack. With standard packs the lifting could be quickly done by machine. Also means you don't need to worry about battery service life. Possiblw paymwnt methos along ghe lines of pay per mile traveled on the pack so you don't have to "empty" it.

engineersthumb Tue 25-Jul-17 23:43:38

Sorry for the typos!
Electrical distribution losses are much smaller than bulk fuel transport losses. It's the range and lack of standardisation that limits the uptake at the moment I think. Diesel vs petrol is a lively debate with little decisive data either way.

outputgap Tue 25-Jul-17 23:43:45

My neighbours trail a cable out of their window to charge their car. Think this is a million times better than poisoning the air my kids breathe.

Can't see why it's so frightening. Apparently they are a joy to drive.

HTH. Blah.

BoneyBackJefferson Tue 25-Jul-17 23:46:42

outputgap

I am fairly sure that unless there is a massive change in the way that we produce and supply electricity, the national grid would be overwhelmed by the increase of power during the charging hours.,

LittleBearPad Tue 25-Jul-17 23:49:55

It's 23 years away. I imagine tech will have moved on massively by then.

Think of all the changes in the last 23 years.

WinifredAtwellsOtherPiano Tue 25-Jul-17 23:50:37

I think you'd be surprised by how quickly we could move the electric grid to renewables. The big problem with most renewables is a time mismatch between supply and demand - which is equivalent to a battery/storage problem.

If you move the UKs car fleet to electric then you can use that to flatten out the supply and demand time mismatch - either by smart use of their batteries or by using the renewably sourced electricity to produce hydrogen, or LPG both of which function as batteries. There's a lot of people putting a lot of money into trials in several different countries, but once a preferred route gathers momentum I think it will snowball fast.

engineersthumb Tue 25-Jul-17 23:51:56

It would definitely take large scale infrastructure upgrades for home charging to be effective. But I think it's the recharge time that makes embedded batteries impractical. With the "filling station" model the infrastructure updates can be more limited and could be suplimented with delivery of charged packs to local stations where the grid couldn't yet cope.

MeanAger Tue 25-Jul-17 23:58:32

I know nothing about this (as my next comments will show) but are solar powered cars not a possibility? I also vaguely recall seeing something about solar roads. I suspect they would be massively disruptive to install though if they were viable. In my head it's possible for roads to be made from solar panels that then power all the traffic lights and signals. It's also possible for them to have sensors and all cars to be fitted with a chip that means the road controls the speed of the cars. All in my head of course. nobody steal my idea grin

Theresnonamesleft Wed 26-Jul-17 00:04:19

Wasn't there talk at one point about using erm human waste to fuel vehicles?
Then there's been a coffee suggestion.

But maybe I dreamed these things. I have odd dreams

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now