Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What does a sprites child mean

(37 Posts)
angelgirls Mon 17-Jul-17 23:51:27

Just wondering as someone on Facebook posts about her spirited daughter at least 4 times a day, just wondered what the term actually means

wobblywonderwoman Mon 17-Jul-17 23:53:29

It is child who is 'full on'

toosexyforyahshirt Mon 17-Jul-17 23:54:12

Spirited is a euphemism for badly behaved. "My child is spirited"...nope, your child is a brat.

TartanDMs Mon 17-Jul-17 23:55:11

I'd say wilful, possibly defiant. You rarely hear it applied to boys though.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Mon 17-Jul-17 23:55:56

The meaning depends on whether you're using it to describe your child or are listening to someone else use it to describe theirs.

ijustwannadance Mon 17-Jul-17 23:57:15

It means crap parenting of children who are allowed to do what they like.

NellieFiveBellies Tue 18-Jul-17 00:00:56

if it is being said by someone about someone else's child it means "this child is a fucking nightmare and badly needs some boundaries enforcing"

if it is said by a parent it means "i think the universe revolves around my child and everyone should accomodate and prioritise them and i am in denial about the fact they are a fucking nightmare and badly need some boundaries enforcing " 😁

pastabest Tue 18-Jul-17 00:01:28

My 5 month old is 'spirited' (but I don't post about it on Facebook!) she kicks everything, trys to snatch everything, is already crawling... at speed. I can no longer control her during nappy changes as she is so strong and twisty.

She is currently sporting a bump on her head from trying and succeeding to stand up in the baby bath whilst turned for a micro second to reach for a towel (and promptly falling forward) she also has a 2 inch scratch on her face that appeared overnight. She looks like she has been fighting with a cat. We don't have a cat.

She is hard work and keeps me on my toes. I suspect I'm going to have my work cut out when she is a little older and actually understands a bit more.

Other people often use spirited to mean 'parents excusing bad behaviour'

pastabest Tue 18-Jul-17 00:06:00

In my defence I'm not sure what I can actually do about my 'spirited' child's 'bad behaviour' at 5 months old. She tends just to blow raspberries at me she actually just spits at me if I tell her no [ manical sleep deprived grin ]

angelgirls Tue 18-Jul-17 00:06:16

NellieFiveBellies it's someone eked who posts on Facebook about there spirited dd, to be honest I get the impression your right and the child is in fact just a nightmare, but just wanted to check incase I was missing something

Seen this pop up a few times recently with others to hmm

AgentProvocateur Tue 18-Jul-17 00:06:41

Spirited - aka naughty. Used by ineffectual wishy-washy parents to excuse their children's appalling behaviour.

AgentProvocateur Tue 18-Jul-17 00:07:56

Pastabest excepted. blush Five month olds are just cute.

angelgirls Tue 18-Jul-17 00:09:18

pastabest your dd just sounds busy and into everything, my oldest was the same, bombing about at 6 months, climbing the draw handles in the kitchen (in row like ladder) before she could walk etc, basically doing anything and everything that she shouldn't be.

She 14 now and not spirited just a active, talented gymnast and cheerleader

nancy75 Tue 18-Jul-17 00:09:24

It means parents think the kid is the 8th wonder of the world while everyone else thinks it's a naughty brat that needs telling off

BenLui Tue 18-Jul-17 00:12:40

What Nellie said, down to the letter.

Can you tell I have a friend with a "spirited" child.

My children and I regularly stand agog.

Tokelau Tue 18-Jul-17 00:21:12

I agree, a spirited child is a badly behaved child. I have known a few children like this, but not many. Can the parents honestly not see how differently they behave to others? Surely they can see the looks of horror on the other parents' faces.

NellieFiveBellies Tue 18-Jul-17 00:27:13

😁 pasta that is exactly how a 5 month old ought to be

MikeUniformMike Tue 18-Jul-17 00:30:32

What is a sprites child?

Slimthistime Tue 18-Jul-17 00:31:27

What Nellie said.

NellieFiveBellies Tue 18-Jul-17 00:38:02

spirited.

like it says in the op. "her spirited daughter"

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 18-Jul-17 00:50:01

Whatever happened to Indigo children? I haven't heard that term used for ages.

angelgirls Tue 18-Jul-17 00:54:07

RafelsTheKingOfClay

What is a indigo child??? Intrigued grin

SkintAsASkintThing Tue 18-Jul-17 00:55:05

A pain in the arse.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 18-Jul-17 01:04:01

They're like spirited children but they operate on a higher intellectual and spiritual plane. So they can't possibly be expected to follow rules they don't see the point in.

NellieFiveBellies Tue 18-Jul-17 01:06:55

oh indigo children are spirited children with super extra wanky parents who use words like indigo child to mean utter pain in the arse because ive raised them with zero rules.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now