Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Goldfish experts over here please

(16 Posts)
CatThiefKeith Mon 17-Jul-17 20:45:21

I was at a local fete on Saturday, running a stall. There was also a fairground. Throughout the day I saw various children walking about with goldfish in bags. sad

At the end of the day as I was packing up a small child gave Dd (6) a fish in a bag as her mum had said she couldn't keep it.

I took it back to the stall it had come from and the lady refused to take it. She implied that left over fish would be chucked over the hedge so I ended up bringing it home. I've spent £50 on a tank and accessories and once I know it isn't carrying nasties it will go in dad's pond.

Reported to RSPCA and apparently this is legal? Wtf?

Similar happened a couple of years ago and I got some great advice (in that case a friend was with Dd and let her partake in the stall)

Anyway. Fish lovers, is a 40L tank ok for a small fish for 2-3 weeks as a quarantine tank? I have a filter, gravel, plastic fronds, fish safe for poorly fish (although he seems happy enough) food and tap safe. I will cycle the tank going forwards, and started him off with pond water. Will he be ok?

TinyBarista Mon 17-Jul-17 20:48:53

I have no fish advice but .. sad how is this still happening

greathat Mon 17-Jul-17 20:51:53

Do frequent water changes, sounds like its the only option until it can go in the pond! Not big enough long term really though

greathat Mon 17-Jul-17 20:54:36

injaf.org/aquarium-fish/the-goldfish-section/what-size-tank-for-goldfish/

CatThiefKeith Mon 17-Jul-17 20:56:48

It won't be long term, just til I can be sure he won't give dad's fish anything. Some of them are 20 years old.

Better than dying in a hedge, but still far fe ideal I know. 😢

PlopGoesTheWeasel Mon 17-Jul-17 20:59:45

Animals cannot be given as prizes to under 16's in England.

greathat Mon 17-Jul-17 21:02:21

I'd do a 25% water change every 3/4 days with treated water

CatThiefKeith Mon 17-Jul-17 21:03:41

The RSPCA weren't interested at all. Worse still, it was 3 darts in a playing card to win a teddy and the fish were a consolation prize.

Presumably the get out would be they were giving them away at the end? I don't know, but as we left the stall there were 2 teenagers on a waltzer with fish in bags. sad

CatThiefKeith Mon 17-Jul-17 21:08:00

Thank you great I will do that.

Boring12 Mon 17-Jul-17 21:14:46

Best of using tap water with tap safe, feed every other day and lots of 30% water changes for now. Should be happy in there for a while. If you have a decent pond get him outside he will love it! They get over a foot long. Drives me insane 😡Don't understand how people are so cruel giving animals away like that! Good on you getting a decent tank, it's an addictive hobby wink

Boring12 Mon 17-Jul-17 21:16:44

Oh and get to a pet shop for a water test, lots do it for free or you can buy your own test kit. Ammonia and nitrite are really toxic and likely to build up quickly while doing a fish in cycle.

PlopGoesTheWeasel Mon 17-Jul-17 21:16:59

Sadly, I'm not surprised to hear that the RSPCA were of no help. I got in contact with them about a fish tank in a restaurant that was absolutely riddled with dirt. You could barely see the fish, for the grey cloudy water and fungi.

They said they would follow it up, but a year later when I walked past the sane restaurant, I could see nothing had changed. Very sad angry

PlopGoesTheWeasel Mon 17-Jul-17 21:17:29

*same.

demirose87 Mon 17-Jul-17 21:22:23

I think they can give them as prizes to over 16s or children with an adult. However last summer we won 2 fish at the fair and they were practically giving them away to kids of any age. Half the fish probably never made it home getting swung about in those little bags

MrsPringles Mon 17-Jul-17 21:25:38

I got thrown out of a fb wedding group because an absolute moron of a bride was planning on keeping live goldfish in small vases as table centre pieces at her wedding and I argued that it was fucking stupid and cruel

She started off all 'Hun I've asked a pet shop they'll be fine' all whilst the other Huns told her how cool and original it was and it when I couldn't keep my mouth shut it escalated and I got banned confused

Love my little pet fish, when they come up to say hi when they know it's feeding time!
Annoys me that people think they're disposable and easy to look after

Well done for rescuing the poor little fish!

CatThiefKeith Mon 17-Jul-17 22:15:03

Boring I bought the little test strips and some tap safe. Hopefully that will do until I can get him into dad's somewhat large pond.

Poor fishes. I doubt many of them even made it to today. I am shock that even a small goldfish should be kept in a 90L tank as a minimum. Who knew?

Hoping 40L will do for a couple of weeks. I couldn't afford a bigger one unfortunately. 😢

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now