Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What the hell is this hand over mouth thing kids do in photos?!

(34 Posts)
Namechangetempissue Mon 17-Jul-17 18:38:42

I'm "friends" with a few of DD friends and some of my friends kids on instagram and I've noticed this bloody ridiculous trend for photos with your hand over your mouth and nose? Literally every photo they all are covering their faces? What the hell is all that about? DD doesn't do it (not into social media) so can someone explain it to me?

JennyTaylior Mon 17-Jul-17 18:41:21

Apparently it's just 'a thing'. That's all I got out of DD 🙄 It's the alternative to duck face!

Namechangetempissue Mon 17-Jul-17 18:47:55

Oh ok! Thank you! It's so silly and pointless -a selfie of the girl in question with whole hand over nose and mouth and then "besties chose -opinions?" then lots of "amaz hun" and "soooo beautiful" (but you can't see her face?). Brilliant preteen bonkers. I'm sure I did stuff that was similarly mental when I was that age!

Shantasia Mon 17-Jul-17 18:57:23

My niece and her friends are all about shutting their eyes like they're experiencing a mass divine visitation. I think it's to display the immaculate eyeliner, but the overall effect is more like those weird photos of dead people in The Others.

Namechangetempissue Mon 17-Jul-17 18:58:13

grin

EnidButton Mon 17-Jul-17 19:01:02

I'd like to know why they put 'haha' or 'aha' at the start of texts and at the end of each sentence. Haha. hmm

ScrumDinger Mon 17-Jul-17 19:03:51

And why do they have one hand pulling a bit of hair out?

Granny demands to know!

PovertyPain Mon 17-Jul-17 19:07:23

The selfies are a mixture of hilarious, pathetic and sad. It must be so difficult being young and having so much pressure put on you because of expectations of what you should look like. Mind you, it's even sadder to see full grown women doing duck pouts. 😟

Henrythehoover Mon 17-Jul-17 19:10:49

My daughter and her friends all take ugly selfies as they call it usually making themselves look like they have double chins and pulling odd faces.

HeyMicky Mon 17-Jul-17 19:13:55

Better than sticking their tongues out. I am endlessly subjected to my niece's tongue hanging out of her gob on Instagram

ConstanceCraving Mon 17-Jul-17 19:14:47

I've not seen this. Teenagers?

Namechangetempissue Mon 17-Jul-17 19:15:26

I'm clearly ancient and out of the loop!

Allabitmuchisntit Mon 17-Jul-17 19:17:45

Ugh my dd does this.
Drives me nuts because she's got a gorgeous smile.
Does the "ugly" selfies as well.

Shantasia Mon 17-Jul-17 19:34:19

The other popular pose is the Wide-Eyed Thousand Yard Stare, complete with duck pout and cutesy animal ears. Ie, Joan of Arc, as portrayed by the Cadbury's Caramel Bunny.

mrsglowglow Mon 17-Jul-17 19:36:53

Yes to the tongue sticking out! They all do the weird tongue out biting it thing!!!! And the obligatory "told to" .

Shantasia Mon 17-Jul-17 19:45:30

So much arm-twisting by these besties. It's terrible, when they're all so shy too.

Don't forget to answer smile if you love me
grin if you'd date me
wink if you'd jump over a cliff for me
shock if you'd push me over a cliff because you totally hate me
hmm if you think I'm sexy even though I'm 12

EnidButton Mon 17-Jul-17 20:53:56

God it must be hard work but I supposed they don't know any different. I'm former grateful the internet wasn't available widely until I hit my early 20's.

EnidButton Mon 17-Jul-17 20:54:17

*I suppose

EnidButton Mon 17-Jul-17 20:54:50

*forever

See, I can't even work it properly now. wink

x2boys Mon 17-Jul-17 21:17:39

are we talking about the two finger thing ?i have dh 16 yr old dd on facebook its all my best friend is gawjus and then bestfriend answers says you blah blah that and the dog tongue and ears thing.

Namechangetempissue Mon 17-Jul-17 21:29:17

Ah yes, the "favs told me too" or "he chose".

x2boys Mon 17-Jul-17 21:31:45

and tagged ma mains.

ginflumpsandzebraprint Mon 17-Jul-17 21:39:28

It's the "tag ma fam " and then loads of friends names. They are not your family, in fact last week you 'hated' her and next week she will be 'throwin some much shade ' at you confused

TealStar Mon 17-Jul-17 21:40:25

I always tell my dds that the two finger thing looks as if they're smelling their fingers and makes me question where they've been.

The ugly selfies seem to be called 'mugs' round here, and the dds have mug friends whose friendships seem to be based upon bouncing mugs back and forth to each other.

The other thing they do is scribble out their own faces when posting a group snap.

And the mirror selfies, where the flash obscures everything other than a glimpse of cleavage and the comments on how peng they look even though you can't see them.

😬

JustDanceAddict Mon 17-Jul-17 21:42:50

It's ridix. I'm so glad DD doesn't really do this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now