Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Just been made redundant and pregnant

(27 Posts)
Snoopingdh123 Mon 17-Jul-17 15:25:24

As the title, went into work today happy as Larry that everything's great there, I'm good at my job and it's always been a profitable company.

Come lunchtime we were informed we're all being let go with 1 weeks paid notice, I left immediately.

I'm 12 weeks pregnant, due to tell my employer after the scan this week. I'm devastated, I have a toddler, my partner works so we won't get benefits.

Our outgoings are high, with a large mortgage in an expensive part of the country. We're going on holiday next month.

What on earth do I do, where do I go from here? No ones going to hire a pregnant person, as much as they can't legally not they won't.

My childcares extortionate and I have to give 4 weeks paid notice, we live month by month with only enough savings for our holiday spending money and under £1k saved so far for the baby.

I'm owed £10k in outstanding commissions from the company that were supposed to tie us over plus anymore I earn would be paid on maternity; the company is now folding and I won't be paid any of it.

What the hell do I do, where do I go. I spoke to money advise who suggested benefits that I'm not entitled to.

I'm devastated, will I have to move, I can't think straight. I'm sat in my car crying because I can't finish the drive home like this. Dps at work and I can't talk to him yet.

RhubardGin Mon 17-Jul-17 15:32:41

Our work has just gone through redundancies and it's awful! What a terrible thing to go through when you're pregnant sad

Will you receive a good redundancy package from your employer to tide you over for a couple of months?

ImAFurchester Mon 17-Jul-17 15:34:54

flowers

Firstly, don't panic. Things will work themselves out.

What's your job? Could you temp? If in or near London there are loads of temp jobs in admin/reception/PA work particularly over the summer, if you have decent experience they are quite well paid.

Second, sit down with your finances and make a list of spends (mortgage, bills, childcare, food). Then see where you could cut back. How much is your food bill? Are you getting the best deal on your other household builds? Can you scrap the holiday? 1k saved for a baby is quite a lot - they don't need much and what they do need you can usually get for peanuts second hand - try local facebook groups or gumtree.

I don't know anything about the legalities of what your employer has done so I'll leave someone more knowledgeable to go into that as I don't know what rights you have.

ImAFurchester Mon 17-Jul-17 15:35:27

Will you receive a good redundancy package from your employer to tide you over for a couple of months?

Doubt it, as OP says all she is getting is 1 weeks paid notice.

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 17-Jul-17 15:36:28

What a nightmare, really feel for you.

I know nothing about benefits but presumably you need to get some proper advise there.

I'd start by cancelling every 'luxury' item to scale back my immediate outgoings (sky/gym/ mobile phone if out of contract).

Do you have savings? Can you get a loan from family?

ginswinger Mon 17-Jul-17 15:39:45

Are you sure you're not entitled to benefits? Having a working partner doesn't preclude you

PoppinsMoppins Mon 17-Jul-17 15:42:03

That's so shit. No advice as such, but just wanted to say that! What horrible timing for you flowers

53rdWay Mon 17-Jul-17 15:45:26

Are you entitled to contribution-based JSA? www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/what-type-you-get

pseudonymity Mon 17-Jul-17 15:47:24

Post in the employment board, I'm not sure of the legal stuff but one week's pay doesn't sound right.

OhWifey Mon 17-Jul-17 15:52:56

You should still be entitled to Maternity Allowance so worth checking that out. You need to have worked for 26 weeks in the 66 weeks before your baby is due, which you have. You can claim from 29 weeks pregnant and it's about £140 a week. https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility

You should also be entitled to statutory redundancy pay if you have been there 2 years or more. https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/redundancy-pay

willymcwill Mon 17-Jul-17 16:08:46

How long have you worked at the company? Statutory redundancy is more than one week's money, as is the notice period. Were you given any information about if the company is going into receivership or who would be administering the affairs of the winding up? Do you have paperwork etc backing up your commission earning?

You will be a creditor of the company with what they owe you. Unfortunately these things can take time to sort out properly and it depends how things are handled (and by whom).

Snoopingdh123 Mon 17-Jul-17 16:09:57

Thanks for helpful advise. I'm entitled to jsa contributions based at £50 per week which will help for now I suppose.
My partner earns £27k which puts us over for any tax credits with 1 dc. Sounds like a lot but our mortgage and loan repayments are £1,500 alone before taking into account bills. No redundancy pay, just 1 weeks pay which it is in my contract. I've only worked there for 1 yr 10 months so no redundancy entitlement. No family to loan from and savings minimal, just what I stated. The holiday was £3k and non refundable, not sure whether to throw it away or not - the time we've got coming we could all probably do with the holiday.

I'll look into temping, the only issue is Paying The childminder with no guaranteed income.

I've never ever not worked, I'm really upset, can't stop crying. I can't believe this has happened to me. I had the safest job there.

Thank you. Having virtual help is amazing while I haven't told anyone IRL yet.

This is a much loved, much wanted baby that we tried hard for and now I don't even know what to think sad

willymcwill Mon 17-Jul-17 16:19:54

Have you got any holiday/travel insurance? Some policies cover for redundancy so if you have a policy it's worth checking out.

Mortgage-wise, do you overpay at all? If so you may be entitled to a mortgage holiday (some allow you to underpay by the amount of overpayment accrued, some have certain allowable reasons for mortgage holiday - childbirth for example) - be aware though that some will still mean interest is accruing, but could give you a temporary respite.

Have a look at your energy bills, insurances etc to see what you can reduce/trim - in some cases you may have an overpayment accrued so if you switched you could get back that overpayment.

Is it worth speaking to the childminder to see if she has any flexibility; I appreciate if she's sought after then she may not but it may be worth explaining the situation as you ever know!

Snoopingdh123 Mon 17-Jul-17 19:42:18

Holiday insurance won't cover it sad, unfortunately we've never overpaid on mortgage.

I will go on uswitch tonight, thanks! Childminder is very sought after but I'll try explaining. Really hoping she doesn't charge me the full 4 weeks!

Dps home and told him, he's taken it better than I thought but is obviously very worried. We were planning on extending due to baby no 2 which is not possible now as we're funding via mortgage.

Stressed & devastated

specialsubject Mon 17-Jul-17 19:46:20

If there's no money there's no money, but can you at least be listed as a creditor for that 10k?

abbsisspartacus Mon 17-Jul-17 19:49:33

Have they told you why you won't be getting the money they owe You?

Sunshinegirl82 Mon 17-Jul-17 20:10:53

Pregnant or not I'd start applying for jobs. You won't get mat pay but you're entitled to leave and they can't dismiss you when they find out you're pregnant without risking a tribunal. It's worth a try.

I'd look into temping at the same time, you might be able to find a longer term post of a ftc that would fit in.

It's totally shit but you will be ok. Could you get a weekend job to top you up so DH can look after the DC? Might just about keep you ticking over?

Mrsknackered Mon 17-Jul-17 20:49:21

Hey OP, I've been in your position. I was made redundant at about 4 weeks pregnant and was absolutely gutted.
I tried to find temp work but didn't get anything and I was showing a lot by 4 months so there is no way I could have found anything.
I have however just been offered a really great job starting in September and DS2 will be 9 months. It has sucked as we have been pretty skint for over a year now but things are looking on the up. It will all work out flowers

OhWifey Tue 18-Jul-17 08:09:41

Can I just reiterate that whether you work or not before baby is born, the amount you've worked already means you'll be eligible for maternity allowance

BellyBean Tue 18-Jul-17 09:22:45

Not sure what work you do, but could you try to get a short term (6month) contract? You don't have to tell anyone you're pregnant yet.

ChandlersNubbin Tue 18-Jul-17 09:35:56

Honestly? In your shoes I'd be looking for permanent work ASAP and concealing the pregnancy. You can tell them AFTER you've started the job.

In the short term - claim any benefits you're entitled to and look at all of your outgoings and how they can be reduced. It's possible you might be able to get a payment break on your mortgage but less likely if you've never overpaid. Talk to them about your options at the very least.

Shop at Aldi/Lidl for a while to reduce your food bill too.

And get a letter before action into your company about the the 10k owing asap - you can issue court proceedings to claim it back if they don't pay up voluntarily, but just be mindful that if the company goes into liquidation its unlikely you'll get much of it back.

willymcwill Tue 18-Jul-17 10:01:56

I agree about looking for permanent work asap; you may feel weird about not disclosing your pregnancy but they shouldn't be taking that into consideration anyway and you are under no obligation to tell them! And you will be entitled to maternity allowance.

With the childminder I meant more about seeing if she would be willing to allow you to temporarily take your child out of her care, whilst keeping the place open, or reducing hours dramatically while you are out of work.

And I agree about getting the 10k you are owed lodged as a debt with the company. My dad was made redundant, turned up on a predefined date to receive his redundancy cheque (manufacturing so old school!) to be told that there was no money. The liquidators had all of the employees as creditors and they did end up getting the vast majority of the money back (this was an overseas company pulling out of the UK, so the parent was still liquid). It did however take a long time (over a year if I remember rightly).

MrsPear Tue 18-Jul-17 10:15:46

Just start looking for work. I was redundant then got a job but in the time it took for checks to be done I found I was pregnant. All appointments were just taken as holiday. I told them at around 24 weeks. I wore normal looking trousers - next maternity with the adjustable sides rather than the big elastic ones - and empire maternity tops. Work was surprised how far gone I was - the plan was to work until 39 weeks.

Please don't forget maternity allowance - you are already entitled!!!! It is not a benefit it is based on YOUR working pattern until now and is nothing to do with h. I know this as we were on a benefit ban due to immigration and yet I still received it.

SoapyChoc Tue 18-Jul-17 12:23:18

Hi,

Sorry to hear about this. Last year the company I worked for went in to liquidation. If you Google insolvency service and find the one on the government website you may be able to claim what you are owed through them. Not 100% about commission as it wasn't relevant to me but certainly it was for wages owed, holiday, overtime, expenses etc if I remember correctly.

Snoopingdh123 Tue 18-Jul-17 19:43:31

Thanks all I've been offered a job! Someone I used to liaze with via my old company contacted me as soon as he heard the news to offer me a position starting immediately. I'm thrilled - not as good money initially but we'll get by.
Silver lining and that! Although now having trouble with my old directors regarding money that's owed and issues with the way they've handled it, think I'm going to have no choice but to send them a solicitor letter - it's been appauling treatment with some pretty bad texts going back and forth today. (I am the only person owed anything - I.e I was the only person who actually made them any money!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now