Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Totally redundant kitchen gadgets

(110 Posts)
guinnessgirl Mon 17-Jul-17 14:02:15

I've just been going through our kitchen cupboards trying to clear some space. At the back I found a popcorn maker (once upon a time much loved and used, but not for about six years!). I also found a honey drizzler, brand new, still in its unopened box. Given to me as a gift some ten years ago!

The popcorn maker I can understand. It was useful once. But the honey drizzler... never used because we buy runny honey in a squeezy bottle, which is much easier and cleaner than decanting it into a special pot and then using an inefficient tool to extract it! grin

What kitchen gadgets do other people have that are wholly redundant?

ToEarlyForDecorations Mon 17-Jul-17 14:08:03

I've got a popcorn maker. It matters not that it hasn't been used in years, I'm keeping mine.

Crank handle mincer things are still around ?

(I've still got and use my Nana's old rotary whisk)

My redundant item is my mum's and my Nana's old scales. Mum's were red. You had to slide the weight along to where you needed it, i.e. 4oz etc. Then put whatever you were weighing in the scale pan and watch to see the two metal 'prongs' (can't think of a better word) balance evenly.

paradoxicalInterruption Mon 17-Jul-17 14:09:15

A deep cage to hold stuff in while you BBQ it - but it's so big stuff would just steam - and the lid won't go down on the BBQ. It's odd and v difficult to store and I should just get rid but I can't quite bring myself too.

EpoxyResin Mon 17-Jul-17 14:12:33

I have a Soda Stream... why???

NancyDonahue Mon 17-Jul-17 14:12:38

Breadmaker. After months of trying to convince myself and my lot that doughy, dense, grey, oddly cube shaped bread was superior to warburtons, I gave up.

CabernetSauvignyoni Mon 17-Jul-17 14:28:58

Two popcorn makers, a 50s style slushie machine, and a garlic zoom...

I like pointless kitchen gadgets grin

IJustLostTheGame Mon 17-Jul-17 14:30:39

Salad spinner. I'm a slut and eat it out the bag.
We use our popcorn maker. Dd loves it.
Nutribullet. DH used it once to make a disgusting smoothie. I threw it away a year ago and he hasn't yet noticed.
A cake pop maker.

Admirablenelson Mon 17-Jul-17 14:34:07

The breadmaker I use two or three times a week; there's very little effort for such a result. My SIL gave DW her unwanted pasta maker. Sure enough it has languished on top of a cupboard for about five years.

ethanrayne Mon 17-Jul-17 14:35:48

I will be celebrating my tenth anniversary this year and have never opened the box of the pasta maker we were given blush

TheSpottedZebra Mon 17-Jul-17 14:38:49

I have a fish descaler (I am a veggie who can't even stand the smell of others eating fish), and a solid silver Stilton scoop. Both remain curiously unused.

SleepFreeZone Mon 17-Jul-17 14:58:51

George Foreman grill (one small, one large). I just can't be arsed to to deal with the clean up afterwards. So they generally don't get used.

LightastheBreeze Mon 17-Jul-17 15:03:48

I have just thrown away a George Forman grill as I hadn't used it for years and it looked non too fresh. I also have a Daisy cow smoothie maker which I never use but can't bring myself to throw it away

TroysMammy Mon 17-Jul-17 15:04:39

I had a brush for tickling mushrooms. Don't know why I thought it a good idea because I wipe chestnut mushrooms and peel white ones.

guinnessgirl Mon 17-Jul-17 15:04:44

@thespottedzebra I am very impressed by the silver stilton scoop! I didn't even know that was a thing. grin

We have a pasta maker but, amazingly, it actually gets used, as DS1 (6) loves to use it.

Our dear wonderful bread maker has been making almost all our bread for nearly 11 years now. If it broke I'd be bereft. The bread is fantastic!

WhatHaveIFound Mon 17-Jul-17 15:06:28

Over the last few years i've got rid of..

Pasta maker
Bread machine
Toasted sandwich maker
Hand coffee grinder
Foot spa
Ice cream maker

I haven't missed any of them!

guinnessgirl Mon 17-Jul-17 15:06:35

@TroysMammy that's wonderful 😂

OutingMyself Mon 17-Jul-17 15:06:39

I have a spiraliser and a popcorn maker I've never used.

Our toaster had to go about a year ago (horrific cupboard mite infestation) and we didn't bother getting a replacement. I'd never get another one now. It's perfectly easy in the (cleanable) grill and doesn't take up any surface space.

SleepFreeZone Mon 17-Jul-17 15:07:31

Our bread machine gets used loads. As does our halogen oven. Toastie maker not so much but I want to use it more.

BeeFarseer Mon 17-Jul-17 15:10:27

What on earth is a stilton scoop? Mind you, it took me far too long to work out how to use an olive dish. I bet it's obvious to everyone else. blush

Mine is a tassimo coffee maker, and a rice cooker. We don't actually like the coffee pods, so the machine is unplugged on the floor, literally gathering dust. I bought the rice cooker to free up hob space and DH and DS1 eat a lot of rice, but neither of them like the way it the rice cooker does it. Pffft. That was an excellent use of £20.

SleepFreeZone Mon 17-Jul-17 15:16:34

I have a microwaveable rice cooker and I loves it. Doesn't work great for all rice though, but normal basmati is cooked in 15 mins in the microwave. I take it out, give it a stir and let it steam on the side for the last 5 mins.

TeenagersandFurbabies Mon 17-Jul-17 15:19:04

I have a cupboard with a breadmaker, sandwich toaster, stand mixer, food processor & a tassimo machine all taking up room but I can't get rid of them just in case I need them. Even though I haven't in the last couple of years.

MrsExpo Mon 17-Jul-17 15:20:00

I have one of those egg slicer things with wires on a frame over a plastic base which has an egg shaped hollow in it. You put a hard boiled egg on the base and close the wire thing to end up with neat slices .... just why would you? I also have a square frying pan with a ridged base which is supposed to make steaks etc looked grilled hmm ... never used it.

We had a George Foreman grill and chucked it out, but have since bought a Cuisinart one which we use all the time (easier to clean!).

nocake Mon 17-Jul-17 15:20:24

Ice cream maker - it's been used 3 times.
My bread maker gets used several times a week. It's so easy to make a loaf and the bread tastes so much better than shop bread.

TheFaerieQueene Mon 17-Jul-17 15:21:29

Spiralizer here too. What was I thinking.

To the PP who eats salad from the bag. Please dont.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38026695

Tazerface Mon 17-Jul-17 15:24:17

When DH and I got married, we'd already been together for 7 years or something so the very generous money and voucher gifts we spent in John Lewis on some nice household stuff. You know, proper skillet and the like.

DH insisted on a rice cooker. I've no idea why, it takes up counter space we don't have, and you can just cook it in a pan much easier?

Suffice it to say it's been used about 5 times and has since been in the cupboard gathering dust. We got married in 2012 grin

@MrsExpo - I was bought an egg slicer once when I left a job as during a very memorable lunch break I had a proper rant about the uselessness that is an egg slicer - JUST USE A KNIFE!!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now