Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can anyone explain this joke/comment from the film Sliding Doors?!

(37 Posts)
user1499353969 Mon 17-Jul-17 13:14:00

I know, I really have my finger on the pulse of popular culture.

There's a comment in the film Sliding Doors that I've never understood - I was an innocent 16 year old when I first saw it and I figured I'd come to get the joke as I got older, but at 34 it's still beyond me.

So the scene is when Paltrow's character catches her husband in bed with another woman. She's on top, he stops suddenly and she climbs off. Paltrow says, in a sarcastic tone:

"You really shouldn't just stop like that, you can set a woman back three days doing a thing like that."

What does that mean?! The only 'explanation' I've found online is that she's sarcastically suggesting that stopping sex can mess up a woman's cycle, but why would anyone be sarcastic about that?! Is it a female version of the blue balls myth that I've just never heard of?

The clip is here if interested - the comment is at 0:40.

I'd be eternally grateful to anyone who can finally resolve this, it's popped into my head every now and again for the past 18 years and really bugged me :P

Euphemia Mon 17-Jul-17 13:15:02

No idea!

Orlandointhewilderness Mon 17-Jul-17 13:15:03

i know exactly which one you mean and i have no bloody idea! It has always annoyed me as well!

Popskipiekin Mon 17-Jul-17 13:17:25

I had always assumed she meant it would muck up the menstural cycle somehow. Lord know how exactly. The sarcasm is because by saying such a thing she appears to care for Lydia's wellbeing whereas of course she doesn't in the slightest.

LookImAHooman Mon 17-Jul-17 13:17:26

I don't think there's a joke to get, per se, I think it's just a very dry and icy line.

LookImAHooman Mon 17-Jul-17 13:18:47

Yy to PP. previously thought you could throw a cycle out by doing that. There are probably still people who still believe so and other such myths.

LookImAHooman Mon 17-Jul-17 13:19:18

*It WAS previously thought

LookImAHooman Mon 17-Jul-17 13:20:37

Wasn't the theme sung by Aqua? Blimey. That's going back.

QuietNinjaTardis Mon 17-Jul-17 13:20:48

Could it be something about building up to orgasm and then having to stop so therefore the build up starts again? Though why it would set her back 3 days I have no idea!

Ineedagoodusername Mon 17-Jul-17 13:21:59

I loved it at the time and still like the concept but it's such a shit film. The script is awful and her accent and acting are dire.

DandySeaLioness Mon 17-Jul-17 13:22:15

Could the "set her back 3 days" be a metaphor to say she'll get her period as he hadn't had the time to finish and get her pregnant?confused

TheDuckSaysMoo Mon 17-Jul-17 13:24:47

I thought it was about building up to an orgasm and him being so shit at sex that it takes that long to get there with him.

CorporalNobbyNobbs Mon 17-Jul-17 13:26:06

I thought it referred to orgasm as Quiet said and '3 days' was exaggeration for sake of effect.

Gunpowder Mon 17-Jul-17 13:26:21

Yeh I think it means stopping before your partner orgasms is completely unfair. In a sort of sarcastic 'don't mind me' sort of way.

Really want to watch Sliding Doors again now. Wow GP looks young.

DandySeaLioness Mon 17-Jul-17 13:28:44

@TheDuckSaysMoo that must be it!

BrokenBattleDroid Mon 17-Jul-17 13:31:34

I watched Sliding Doors a couple of weeks ago as it was on BBC iPlayer and wondered the exact same thing!

museumum Mon 17-Jul-17 13:32:37

I always assumed it was orgasm.

user1499353969 Mon 17-Jul-17 13:33:01

Aha, the orgasm thing makes some sense! The use of days rather than hours as the exaggeration was what made me think it was period-related, but other than that it works. Hurrah, peace at last!

Katedotness1963 Mon 17-Jul-17 13:46:14

I always thought it was sarcasm about orgasm.

The80sweregreat Mon 17-Jul-17 13:48:01

I love that film.
no idea what the reference is though.

Gemini69 Mon 17-Jul-17 13:49:47

I assumed ..... by leaping off unexpectedly...could possibly bruising the lining of the lady bits .... thus causing cystitis .... I'm in the minority huh confused

Bobbins43 Mon 17-Jul-17 13:52:03

I always thought him stopping before she orgasmed would upset her for three days smile

(FACT. They SHOULD be called The Foetals)

AvoidingCallenetics Mon 17-Jul-17 13:53:35

I think it's about the orgasm too - her way of telling him that he is crap in bed

ScrumDinger Mon 17-Jul-17 13:53:38

Gwyneth Paltrow is so annoying in that film with her clipped little voice. And as for John Hannah and that tiny little shrunken head. Just no.

lanouvelleheloise Mon 17-Jul-17 13:59:38

I always assumed this was a reference to the idea that getting close to orgasm and then stopping can delay your period.

I am sure this is a myth, though in my experience a whopping huge orgasm can make your period start early...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now