Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Queue Jumper Drama ( this may be unnecessarily long)

(98 Posts)
Materdolores Mon 17-Jul-17 10:45:26

I'm at the airport, because of horrendous traffic, I missed my flight. I was in a huge queue to arrange another flight. It took nearly an hour to get to the head of this queue and I was next to be seen to when a young 25ish woman just walked in front of me and stood right behind the man who was being dealt with.

I went over to her and calmly told her that there was a queue, I was next and pointed to the back of the queue. She began to sob dramatically with big gasps and said she had missed her flight and needed to speak to Customer Relations urgently.

The man behind me, a real East Enders extra kind of chap, advised her that we'd all missed our flights because of the traffic and turning on the waterworks wasn't going to get anyone seen to any quicker. He was bristling with anger. I think he was bristling angrily already as he was telling his wife what he thought of her organisational skills in a very loud and confrontational manner.

Miss Queue Jumper gave me a sly glance from the corner of her eye and jumped to the desk as the man in front walked away. I jumped up next to her with Mr Angry exhorting ' Get in there gel'. Before she had a chance to open her mouth, still slightly gasping with repressed sobs, I told the Customer Services chap that I had queued patiently whilst she had just walked in front of me and I wished to be dealt with first. She began a whiny sobby story punctuated liberally by breathy gasps with my supporter behind me shouting 'She ain't getting served before me neither'.

It was tense. Everyone bated their breath and the entire queue looked to Mr Customer Services for adjudication. He nodded at me then turned his steely gaze to Ms Queue Jumper and asked her to confirm whether she had missed her flight? She said she had. She sobbed pitifully for another few seconds. He looked back at me and then addressed the queue saying that as she had missed her flight she may as well join the back of the line and wait her turn as any action could not get her on that flight.

She gasped with shock that her damsel in distress ruse had failed.Mr Angry East Enders Extra man punched the air ( rather aggressively) I smiled graciously. She went to the back of the queue, her head held down by the weight of her shame. Everyone else looked gratified that justice had prevailed. Mr Customer Relations Man was silently proclaimed as a hero.

I still have five hours to wait for the next flight................

delilabell Mon 17-Jul-17 10:48:41

Oh god I was literally on tender hooks reading that. I was convinced either customer services would let her in or the queue would turn on you!

MaudGonneMad Mon 17-Jul-17 10:50:03

That was a great read, OP.

paxillin Mon 17-Jul-17 10:51:05

One of life's irritants. I see it at the Eurostar terminal all the time. Eurostar is late, so 800 people miss their connecting train. There is always someone who jumps the queue because they missed their train and is then surprised when the queue of 800 people groans behind them "ME TOO".

thefamilynaom Mon 17-Jul-17 10:53:32

So satisfying!!

tectonicplates Mon 17-Jul-17 10:57:46

YANBU for being annoyed with queue jumpers. However:

YABVVVU for accusing her of being deliberately dramatic and crying just for effect, when many people cry when they are nervous. There are frequently posts here on Mumsnet from people who constantly burst into tears, and it only makes them even more upset when other people accuse them of doing it on purpose.

YABU for writing your post as an Epic, Dramatic Saga of Battles and Victory, especially when you have accused the woman of being dramatic. It is you who is starting the drama here, and it is you who is turning it into "a whiny sobby story punctuated liberally by breathy gasps". hmm

Grow up.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 17-Jul-17 10:58:56

You only see yourself in situations like that. Selfish but. That's the way the world is. Its alright bandying the word drama and damsal in distress around, but. She could have an anxiety disorder. You don't know that.
Oh and that EastEnd geezer loves picking on women, doesn't he.
Lord help his poor wife.

PossumInAPearTree Mon 17-Jul-17 11:00:08

Well i enjoyed it.

Do you have to pay for the New flight if you miss one due to traffic?

SleepFreeZone Mon 17-Jul-17 11:00:34

grin

SleepFreeZone Mon 17-Jul-17 11:01:43

tectonicplates no need to be nasty.

glitterglitters Mon 17-Jul-17 11:02:16

Ohhhh I love this! You definitely deserve an airport winegin

CookieLady Mon 17-Jul-17 11:03:58

grin

CookieLady Mon 17-Jul-17 11:04:32

tectonic, this isn't AIBU. grin

MadeleineBoo Mon 17-Jul-17 11:05:55

I'm sure if you have an anxiety disorder you push to the front of a long queue of people hmm

Well told OP smile

MaidOfStars Mon 17-Jul-17 11:06:15

YABU for writing your post as an Epic, Dramatic Saga of Battles and Victory
Agreed. grin

Five hours to compose another anecdote, OP wink

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 17-Jul-17 11:06:41

Maybe it's not but I do agree with, Tec
She is being v v unreasonable.
Mocking someone who was visibly distressed.

Alittlepotofrosie Mon 17-Jul-17 11:08:17

If she had an anxiety disorder is it likely she would push herself to the front of an hour long queue and make a scene?

Why is it on every thread someone has to diagnose some sort of disorder or problem? Can't someone just be a drama queen?

Materdolores Mon 17-Jul-17 11:12:49

Yep. I had to pay £100.

@tectonicplates She was putting it on big time. They were crocodile tears. I'm 61. I think I'm pretty grown up already. I'll accept that I can be a little dramatic too. But that doesn't make me a bad person. Anyway, this is Chat not AIBU. Having a bad morning?

@awlookatmybabyspider His wife was well able for him. I thought she was going to thump him at one point. There were lots of people arguing over whose fault it was that their flight was missed. It was a very fractious queue.

God, I hate hanging around airports. Im off to find more drama.........

tectonicplates Mon 17-Jul-17 11:13:46

No. If you're an anxious person you might panic and believe you urgently need help, therefore want to speak to someone straight away, and might burst into tears as you were so worried. That's not the same thing as deliberately jumping a queue because you think you're more important than everyone else. Once it was pointed out that everyone in the queue was running late or had missed their flight, she understood and went to the back of the queue. She didn't stand there and refuse to move.

I've known more than one person in my life who used overly-dramatic language to describe mundane stories. "Head held down by the weight of her shame"? hmm FGS sake give me a break and don't turn this into anything more than it actually is. The customer services guy explained he couldn't get her in the flight, so she went to the back of the queue. No need to turn this into a saga when it isn't.

ShotsFired Mon 17-Jul-17 11:14:04

@PossumInAPearTree Do you have to pay for the New flight if you miss one due to traffic?
As I actually once read a travel insurance policy doc, I may be able to answer this for you...

<clears throat> If you take advance scheduled public transport to the airport, and can prove this, then your insurance should cough up.

If you take a pre booked taxi, they should cough up.

If you drive and can prove you left enough time, then they may pay up.

If you fit neither of those, then you're probably on your own.

The key point in the above is the in time/advance/pre booked part. The policy I read was quite clear that you needed to arrive in advance of the check in guidelines (i.e. 3hrs etc), even if you had already checked in online
Note that this is on top of the time after check in closes/before your flight actually takes off, so you are potentially looking at 4-5hrs in advance. And you have to have proof of the booking too, so it’s no good calling the taxi firm the day before, you need to have it in writing.

I like to get to airports well, well in advance, but even this strains my boundaries (I am 30mins from a major airport and usually leave at 6am for a regular 10am long haul flight, having checked in online. So arrive 6.30, quick bag drop, though security and into lounge by 8ish, breakfast and leisurely stroll to nearby gate about 9.15 for almost immediate boarding)

AvoidingCallenetics Mon 17-Jul-17 11:18:17

Even if she was anxious, it doesn't give her special rights to queue jump. Half the people in that queue could have anxiety, but still mind their manners!
I loathe queue jumpers. So rude.

AshesandDust Mon 17-Jul-17 11:20:06

Oh, well done.
I’m still bristling 25 years later about what happened to my
teenage son. The local hotel was having some kind of anniversary
celebration and were giving £500 to the 200th person (or some such number) to pass through their doors on a particular Saturday where they
were having a bit of celebration do - everyone was invited.
The queue snaked out of the door and people were being counted as they went in. Just as my son got to the door a cheatingshithousewoman pushed him aside and jumped in front of him...and was proclaimed the prize winner.
So congrats on standing your ground for the sake of FairPlay, OP! smile

VladmirsPoutine Mon 17-Jul-17 11:20:36

Why is it on every thread someone has to diagnose some sort of disorder or problem? Can't someone just be a drama queen?

100% agree.

Some people are just chancing their luck. I highly doubt someone with such severe anxiety would have the gall to jump infront a queue, let alone a huge queue in an environment already loaded with stress and pressure.

Shadow666 Mon 17-Jul-17 11:20:44

I think you forgot to put "light hearted" in your OP wink

I enjoyed it, but I hate queue jumpers too.

JigglyTuff Mon 17-Jul-17 11:20:53

Oh really Tectonic? Her anxiety is so severe that all manners go out of the window? Bullshit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now