Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Little things that enrich your life?

(114 Posts)
ReallyFuckingTired Sun 16-Jul-17 12:16:50

What are yours?

Without going into boring details, a combination of infertility, health problems, shitty jobs, and unexpected events have made DH and I reevaluate our lives. The next ten years are going to look very different from what we imagined. Basically we will have a lot of free time but not a lot of disposable income.

We want to make the most of each other and the time we've got, and what we do have. We're saving for a weekend away, but I want more ideas for small ways to make our life better on a daily basis

So far, I've decided I'm going to make a point of buying really good quality underwear, instead of picking up cheap crap because I feel it doesn't matter.

I'm going to read some really good books and visit the library more often

I'm going to make sure I always have scented candles, and light them all the time

Anybody care to share their own ideas?

JackieJormpJormp Sun 16-Jul-17 12:20:11

I'm going to read some really good books and visit the library more often

Great idea! It'll cheer your life up in super-good ways, plus, it doesn't cost anything.

For me one thing is spending quality time together. When DH and I get in from work, we put our phones in another room, then spend half an hour or an hour together, making tea. Talking about our days, not being distracted by our phones, really genuinely spending time together. It's one of my favourite parts of the day if I'm honest.

MrsBartlettforthewin Sun 16-Jul-17 12:20:29

Having half an hour to myself to read each day.

Really good coffee to make at home in a cafetière.

Good perfume.

Time with dc and DH to be silly

deckoff Sun 16-Jul-17 12:21:10

Snap, in every way. flowers

I'm trying to make our flat more beautiful and keep it tidy at the moment. I bought some cheap(ish) Ikea furniture and decorated in mirrors for one area and it's lovely.

I also bought this beautiful humidifier which I find quite entrancing to switch on and watch with a nice cuppa smile

mamakoukla Sun 16-Jul-17 12:26:36

Music. Fresh flowers. Windows open on a cool morning. Simple things which don't necessarily enrich but make life feel richer.

Spend more time on what matters to you. Go outside your comfort zone

Caprianna Sun 16-Jul-17 12:30:06

Some of the things you already mentioned -I use a lot of candles to create a nice atmosphere, good books, cooking together in the evenings, long Sunday walks and cats in the house.

AndHoldTheBun Sun 16-Jul-17 12:31:09

A relaxed breakfast in bed... or better still, breakfast on balcony/terrace/patio if you have one, and have the weather for it!

ReallyFuckingTired Sun 16-Jul-17 14:07:03

Some lovely ideas, thank you. What does that humidifier do? It looks so relaxing!

Groovester Sun 16-Jul-17 14:10:16

Hot buttered toast. I'm easy to please. And miss it thanks to SlimmingWorld smile

ReinettePompadour Sun 16-Jul-17 14:14:29

Feeding the ducks (proper duck food not bread obviously) on the river when all the children are at school and its just me on my own grin

Theres 1 little duck who always gets out the water and eats from my hand. It always makes my day.

Drinking coffee and eating toast on the canalside café watching the boats chug past. Especially when its raining and I'm sat inside, its lovely.

MaisieDotes Sun 16-Jul-17 14:18:03

Oh, they have a thing like that at my yoga studio deckoff. It's lovely.

Mine is going to yoga (!) I like the combination of the gentle workout and the meditation at the end.

PugwallsSummer Sun 16-Jul-17 14:30:09

For me, A tidy, clean orderly environment. I hate chaos. Time alone to do as I please - even if it's just watching TV in my dressing gown. A little spare cash every now and then to treat myself to something I want, not need (this happens rarely!).

Queenofthedrivensnow Sun 16-Jul-17 16:37:22

Oh I love the humidifier I might get one.

After a crap relationship broke down I'm a lone parent again.

My nice things will be always having squirty cream for hot choc.

Slowly improving all the rooms and furniture.

Long dog walks with the kids in local beauty spots - they love this.

Always having a box of ice lollies in the freezer.

Also works ongoing for me is decluttering with Marie kondo.

I'm going to try mindfulness.

I'm also going to get on top of the calendar and other people's birthdays and try and get cards on time etc

OutComeTheWolves Sun 16-Jul-17 16:59:22

Very shallow but once a week I make a real hot chocolate by melting a full bar of chocolate into a pan of milk.

I have it once the kids are in bed & when dh is working late. In my pjs watching something of my choosing on the TV. I've no idea why I enjoy this time so much; it just feels like a little bit of self indulgence!

Veterinari Sun 16-Jul-17 17:07:54

Candles and flowers.
Taking time to paint my nails
Hot bath and a face pack with a glass of wine
Using sparking water and adding some frozen fruit to my cordial - much more luxurious!
Real bread instead of sliced.

AnnetteCurtains Sun 16-Jul-17 17:08:36

Good quality butter
Yorkshire bread
Strong tea
These make me happy

Queenofthedrivensnow Sun 16-Jul-17 17:40:57

Outcomethewolves that sounds amazing I'm trying that

Bitconfused75 Sun 16-Jul-17 17:50:38

A really good book.
A walk with friends or kids and dogs or all three.
Great perfume every day.
Dancing in the kitchen to the songs that make me happy.
Lovely smelling washing powder plus clean sheets.
Painting my toe nails.
And saving nothing for best - so I enjoy the things I have every day.
Fresh flowers when I can and good coffee when I have time.
And an afternoon pottering round the charity shops/Boots/bookshops with a £20 budget!

Notanightbird Sun 16-Jul-17 17:56:40

A good book
Cooking something nice but healthy
A glass of cold white wine
A cup of coffee on my own in a busy cafe
Walking by the sea
A long walk
Swimming in the evening at the beach

BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 16-Jul-17 17:57:12

I love when threads like these come up smile

I really feel I need to treat myself more.

I need to SWITCH OFF and lessen my screentime - reading a good book really restores me.

An early night

Veggies from the garden (more realistically, my grandparents' gardens grin)

Crafting

BendydickCuminsnatch Sun 16-Jul-17 17:57:30

Also, being organised - my bullet journal

And a really good workout.

stella23 Sun 16-Jul-17 18:11:12

Painted nails, both hands and feet

Audiobooks

tigerdog Sun 16-Jul-17 18:13:29

Definitely lots of walks and driving out to random places for day trips that don't cost much.

Ddog has enriched our life beyond measure since infertility hit us, so getting a rescue dog would be my main recommendation!

Learning to make things and find pleasure in having a go. I find keeping my hands busy also quietens my mind.

Growing stuff too - I have nurtured loads of plants from seed this year and it's very cheap and satisfying.

Bluntness100 Sun 16-Jul-17 18:26:42

Good friends. Good concerts, shows, weekends away, too much booze and good food, laughter and chatter and being silly.

Buying things I love for the house. Now I only buy things I love. I came to realise if we bought it, I'd have to look at it for a long time, so instead of buying something because it's cheap, I'll buy something because I love it and will be happy to look at it for a long time. Filling your home with beautiful things that make you happy, if I don't love it I do with out.

Could be a gorgeous China mug, a lamp shade, some lovely towels, some pretty cushions, some luxury bedding, doesn't have to be big things, but little things that make you happy.

And a clean and tidy house. Living in a messy shit tip does nothing for anyone's mood.

spiderbabymum Sun 16-Jul-17 18:42:28

www.apartmenttherapy.com/collection/january-cure-2016-895

The January cure ...... it changes every January . Do it in January with me in 2018 . It showed me the joy of order Fresh flowers -and a home to be proud of . Find it odd that it's the first thing I thought of in response to your question

And a huge one in my life : learning : something new . Anything . Just learning for the joy of it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now