Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Fucking nits

(23 Posts)
BrightonBelleCat Sat 15-Jul-17 22:45:57

I know this has been done to death but we've managed to avoid nits for the last 3 years until now. 12 year old dd has them.

What is now best method? She has live ones so what lotion is best to use then nitty gritty plus conditioning daily?

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sat 15-Jul-17 23:06:38

Listerine in hair, leave in 30 mins, wash out. Then put conditioner through her hair and use a nit comb to comb it out. After going through hair thoroughly, wash out.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sat 15-Jul-17 23:07:59

Also, use a hairdryer to dry it and do the conditioner method a few days. Only do listerine once.

Tried and tested method by me.

Wolfiefan Sat 15-Jul-17 23:09:33

Hedrin overnight. Properly soak hair though.
Repeat in a week

Wash, condition, section and comb meticulously every 3 days for 21 days.

Either works. I do both!

ginflumpsandzebraprint Sat 15-Jul-17 23:28:33

Shave the kids heads, wait till night fall and burn the school and house down. Take dc's hands and walk away grin
I swear it's the only way

bellabelly Sat 15-Jul-17 23:36:42

Haha, ginflumps! We've been suffering nits on and off for the last 3 or 4 weeks and I'm coming round to your way of thinking!

Check every single day with the nitty gritty comb. We've been using Full Marks which kills them (supposed to anyway) by dehydrating them. Comb through again with nitty gritty comb to remove dead lice and eggs. Seems to be effective but then they keep picking them up at school again and it's a neverending cycle... I'm so looking forward to the summer holidays .

ridingsixwhitehorses Sat 15-Jul-17 23:38:53

We went nuclear. Hedrin one day. Vamoose the next. Conditioner and nitty gritty three days straight. Now use repellent spray daily and vosene lice repellent shampoo.

ridingsixwhitehorses Sat 15-Jul-17 23:39:19

Also dd not allowed to wear hair down to school any more

BrightonBelleCat Sun 16-Jul-17 13:24:00

I've just treated with lyclear and put a shed load of tea tree oil conditioner on it and combed them out. The black dots are they the baby nits?

Fluerdelea Sun 16-Jul-17 13:29:31

Nitty gritty all the way. Get in bath before scho and at night and lather with conditioner and comb through rinse comb after each comb through.

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Sun 16-Jul-17 13:30:12

Rather nits than fucking worms cos at least can see eggs.

I like @gin idea the best grin

ginflumpsandzebraprint Sun 16-Jul-17 13:33:41

I've been told to edit my post by dh grin
Burn the school and house down and take dc's hands and dh and walk away !!

Although there are moments......

BrightonBelleCat Sun 16-Jul-17 13:34:21

I can't believe I got through 3 years without them! We went through a stage of getting them constantly. Bastards.

bellabelly Sun 16-Jul-17 23:04:32

@ridingsixwhitehorses, which repellant spray do you use? Never heard of that and might have to get me some!

ridingsixwhitehorses Sun 16-Jul-17 23:40:03

bellabelly - I use nitty gritty spray (bought on ocado) though reckon I could make my own with tea tree oil but it seems to last ages - I spray it all over every morning when I remember - not sticky and smells nice, but I do wash her hair a bit more often. We have been nit free for two months since I used it after keep getting reinvested but I don't want to count my chickens...
dd doesn't like the vosene nit repellent shampoo (it is a bit medicinal) but I surreptitiously put it on at the same time as the nicer smelling conditioner.

bellabelly Mon 17-Jul-17 01:55:14

Brilliant, thank you! Will be adding to te next ocado shop!

ridingsixwhitehorses Mon 17-Jul-17 22:02:45

the shampoo I bought three packs at a time on amazon though may be available on ocado too - not checked

OhGodWhatTheHellNow Mon 17-Jul-17 22:22:24

You can get the nitty gritty spray in multipacks cheaper on ebay, smells lovely. DCs still came home with bastard nits though...

We're on our third treatment week, my head is itching like a bugger.
During research to identify this weeks findings (oh god the images) I came across the little gem that treatments and combing can leave you with <drumroll please> an itchy scalp and pseudo-nits. Which aren't nits but you think they are. Aaaarrrgh.

If all you comb out are unhatched eggs, are you done? Just askin' (scratches head...)

BrightonBelleCat Mon 17-Jul-17 22:39:16

I combed and conditioned again tonight. Found one live one! How did he survive?? All others are dead. Will do every day then another treatment next week.

Notgotajarofglue Mon 17-Jul-17 23:03:26

TGel kills them

Fontella Mon 17-Jul-17 23:08:52

I too just combed and conditioned every bath night. It just became part of their wash routine whether they had nits or not.

They'd wash their hair, call me in, I'd slather on cheap conditioner and then nit comb through and wipe on tissue.

Doing it every night, it breaks the cycle. Even if you miss a few, or don't get the eggs, you will clear the lot eventually, but you have to keep doing it without let up.

The alternative is some harsh one off chemical treatment that clears them .. then they go back to school and get immediately reinfected, because you can guarantee there will be a kid in the class who has them at any one time.

For us it was comb and condition every night for the duration of their childhood.

JeffVaderneedsatray Mon 17-Jul-17 23:11:07

OP I feel your pain.
DD has had nits in a constant cycle for ages. We have the added complication of an ASC with massive issues around smells and hairbrushing.
At first I was using Lyclear as directed on the bottle as it says it kills everything and needs to be done twice, 7 days apart.
Then it became obvious that Lyclear doesn't kill the eggs. Sigh.
So now we are conditioning and combing every 3 days. Yesterday there were 5 babies combed out and I can find no eggs.
I think this next combing session will be the last one.
I have been conditioning and combing me too.
DS and DH are clear.
At least we will have 6 weeks free of the bastards once the holidays start and they are gone!

Aaviiii Mon 17-Jul-17 23:27:28

I usually get a medicated dandruff shampoo called Selsun. By the third application, no more nits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now