Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Those little moments when you just think 'I love being a mum'

(107 Posts)
AprilLudgate30 Thu 13-Jul-17 10:14:53

I know it's hard, it can be tiring and sometimes thankless but I really do love being a Mum.

I love the little bottles of suncream and the sun hat, and the little backpack with lots of bits and bobs and the key ring DD has clipped onto the zip.

I love going into her bedroom and finding toys in funny positions or dressed up (even though she's always using socks as sleeping bags/chefs hats for her toys, and I can never find a pair! 😁) I love the pens and drawings lying about and the school letters and the colourful plastic cups.

I love always having a buddy, I love how even at 8 she still comes in when she's woke up with a cheerful good morning and a cuddle.

I love the excitement and the enthusiasm.

What do you love about being a Mum?

Wonderflonium Thu 13-Jul-17 10:18:08

I love how I can feel when she is thrilled because she judders with excitement. I love the cooing noise she does just before she falls asleep. I love how she smells. (5.5 month old)

AprilLudgate30 Thu 13-Jul-17 10:22:32

Ah that's lovely wonder - and you have so many lovely moments to come! ❤️ I still think DD smells lovely at 8! Her breath still always seems to be milky. 😁

BikeRunSki Thu 13-Jul-17 10:27:43

8 yo DS, confident as you like, playing his guitar in the school concert last week. Solo. And in a group violin piece. I have no idea where he gets it from, but he can bash out a tune from most stringed instruments.

Same event, 5 yo DD, singing Nelly the Elephant. So enthusiastic.

Alittlebitofthis Thu 13-Jul-17 10:34:39

I love how my 5 yo ds gets so enthusiastic when telling me something exciting. He loves dr who just and before that godzilla and hearing him talk about it. ❤️
I love how he comes out and says 'I love you mummy'. It makes all the hard bits much more worthwhile.

Spanneroo Thu 13-Jul-17 10:37:08

I love how DD (3) makes me leave work at work so that I can enjoy my personal time that much more. For example, greeting me as I returned from work recently by shouting "Look Mummy!" And firing a pea out of her nose. Couldn't hold onto my stressful workday any longer after that one!

I love that DD (10 weeks) holds my face while she sleeps on me. Big DD does this too, but her weight is now prohibitive to her sleeping on me.

I love how openly they laugh. Grown ups don't laugh like that. It's so liberating to join them.

chowmeinchick Thu 13-Jul-17 10:38:45

This is such a nice thread 😊

iver Thu 13-Jul-17 10:41:02

i love it when my baby wakes up before me so strokes my face to wake me up too ❤️

and i always get a big smile after giving her a kiss. shes 5 months 🙂

BotBotticelli Thu 13-Jul-17 10:41:52

DS (4) loves animals, nature and all kinds of creatures so much. He found a small frog in the garden yesterday and was so gentle and kind to it, scooping it up in his hands, gently having a look before putting him back in the flowers and saying "off you go my hoppy little friend" 😂😍

Love seeing the world through his eyes. Everything is wondrous to a 4yo.

CigarsofthePharoahs Thu 13-Jul-17 10:42:10

When my three year old runs up to me, throws his arms around my legs and says "You love cuggles mummy!"
Or the time I was dragged into the living room by him to be told "You CAN believe this mess, mummy, you can!"
When my six year old and I have a long conversation about something totally nonsensical.

SugarMiceInTheRain Thu 13-Jul-17 10:43:20

I love hearing my children laughing with each other, it's the best sound in the world. Well, that and being told by my 3 year old how much she loves me and loves my cuddles smile

My 9 year old playing a solo with his brass band - he's just taken to playing the horn as if he were born to do it (been doing it almost 2 years and is working for his grade 5 exam). It's so fab to watch him really excel at something after years of being just a quiet, 'good' boy in the background at school.

My 11 year old, despite all his social awkwardness, not being afraid to stand up for his friends when he sees injustice. And he will still come and voluntarily give me a big cuddle. I really relish those moments - before I know it he'll be a grumpy teen who refuses to show affection to his mum, but for now, I'm enjoying every minute. Sorry for gushing! grin

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Thu 13-Jul-17 10:43:25

The sheer cheek of DD 2y5m.

"Right, time to put your shoes on. DD do it or Mummy do it?"

"How bout DD just run away and hide?" Cue mad cackling and sprinting toddler.

Also, after finally getting up the ginger to jump into the deep end of the pool all by herself, she went around saying smugly to everyone: "My so brave. Mummy's very proud of me." 😙

DownstairsMixUp Thu 13-Jul-17 10:49:28

My 8 year old randomly saying, "love ya mum" he still likes holding my hand to. He is very creative, he lost his go on the playstation the other day and found an old cardboard box and made a barn. Made me smile.

My 2 year old rubbing his head on me (it's his way to show his affection) he also says "mummy gorgeous" lots. He always smells like sweets and crisps.

The best thing is when you've had an awful day and both say "mummy!!" When you walk through the door with a huge cuddle.

kkkkaty123 Thu 13-Jul-17 10:58:41

My dd3 had been bloody hard work this week. She just came in the kitchen and said "mum you're my super hero" smile

AprilLudgate30 Thu 13-Jul-17 11:05:25

I love all of these! ❤️ Children are the funniest, sweetest creatures on the planet aren't they! Lovely.

MissCherryCakeyBun Thu 13-Jul-17 11:08:05

My DD is 25 and away on holiday with her partner....she has a disability that means she also suffers from Chronic fatigue and brain fog and tho loving the idea of house plants they often get forgotten about during her tired times so while I've been cat sitting I've replaced a dead one with this Cactus I crocheted. Not going to say anything just wait for the text grin

Even as a mum of grown up kids it's nice to be able to do tiny things

NukaColaGirl Thu 13-Jul-17 11:10:47

DD1 - 9YO - how kind she is. It's unbelievable. I love that about her. And I hope so much she stays like it. and doesn't turn into a bitter jaded people hater like me

DD2 - 6YO - how silly she is. She is just absolutely ridiculous. Just like ExDP. Two peas in a pod, and very different from me. She always knows how to pull elder DD out of a funk. And baby DD cackles for her like nobody else.

DD3 - 17MO. How her face lights up when her sisters get home from school. How she screws her nose up when she kisses people.

AprilLudgate30 Thu 13-Jul-17 11:11:28

Ahhh missCherry what a lovely lovely Mum you are! Such a nice and funny idea 😁 that has warmed my heart ❤️

iamUberA Thu 13-Jul-17 11:23:36

I love the paper aeroplanes that come down the stairs at night(when she's meant to be in bed) with little I love you notes or sorry for something

junebirthdaygirl Thu 13-Jul-17 11:47:12

I have 3 in their 20s. Have had a particularly difficult week with some bad news. The amount of support hugs texts et l have got from them has blown my mind away. So mature and thoughful.
Anyone with grumpy teens dont despair as have been there and now they are amazing.

CluelessMummy Thu 13-Jul-17 11:57:19

I love DD 8months' sense of humour. If you imitate a sound she makes (hiccup, sneeze etc) she laughs huge belly laughter. This morning I was tempted to put her on eBay but at lunch she began doing huge whoops of laughter as I imitated a groan she made. That made me laugh and she just laughed harder at that, and round and round it went! My face actually hurt afterwards.

I said to DH when he got home that since being a mum I've never cried so much, but never laughed as much either. She is a total hoot, that girl, and I love the bones of her.

tickyandtackyandjackythebacky Thu 13-Jul-17 12:09:52

I just love the surprises. The unexpected declarations of love or the surprise discovery that they know all their letters or numbers. Yes to the laughing with each other. Dd4 and ds2 fight all the time but when they laugh together it's the most lovely sound. And the cuddles, I love the cuddles

Spookle Thu 13-Jul-17 12:33:43

These are brilliant and have made me smile during a shit day at work.

This one made me laugh out loud!

You CAN believe this mess, mummy, you can!"

Spudlet Thu 13-Jul-17 12:36:42

I took ds to the zoo this morning, and he was just so happy. He kept hugging me round the knees and grinning up at me, then I was carrying him and he had his face nestled into my neck because he was shy also he was pulling my top down and exposing my bra but I only realised that later . It was just lovely apart from the flashing

PolarBearGoingSomewhere Thu 13-Jul-17 12:42:07

There are so many things I love.

How proud I am of DD1 when she walks into school, ponytail swinging, all excited to tell them about her weekend.

How lovely it is when DD2 (who is 3) sneaks into our bed for cuddles and curls right in.

The grin that DD3 gives me when I go to her cot in the morning: a fleeting look of sheer delight that we are together in the world.

Evenings, weekends and school holidays - god I can't wait for the holidays - all of us together, just being.

Motherhood has been the making of me, despite the sacrifices and the bags under my eyes and the constant, low-level worry about the DC!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now