Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Jacob Rees Mogg names his 6th child Sixtus

(290 Posts)
HarryBiscuit Wed 05-Jul-17 10:48:59

First off congratulations!
Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher joins Peter, Mary, Thomas, Anselm and Alfred.
Did you know JRM is on Instagram?!

squoosh Wed 05-Jul-17 11:00:48

Yes, his children have interesting names. Or at least, his sons do…

Alfred Wulfric Leyson Pius
Tom Wentworth Somerset Dunstan
Peter Theodore Alphege
Anselm Charles Fitzwilliam.
Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher

And,
Mary

DirtyBlonde Wed 05-Jul-17 11:03:30

Does she really have just one Christian name (term used deliberately, given the Catholic nature of the choices) when her brothers have 4 each?

I wonder if there's some weird reason that Mary was so high favoured that it stands separately and perfectly?

HarryBiscuit Wed 05-Jul-17 11:06:54

I hope they all get called for tea using their full names and then just MARY!

Deploycharitygoats Wed 05-Jul-17 11:10:58

With a pause before calling Mary grin

A friend was once asked, when telling a terrible snob that she didn't have a middle name, "oh dear, were your parents very poor?" shock

redshoeblueshoe Wed 05-Jul-17 11:15:42

Gosh I don't recall seeing any of those on the baby name boards grin

squoosh Wed 05-Jul-17 11:21:30

Poor Mary, I wonder if she'll resent that they couldn't be bothered thinking up as frilly a name for her.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Wed 05-Jul-17 11:25:55

My Grandma once told her teacher that she didn't have a middle name because her parents were too poor. Her mother was mortified grin

BringMeTea Wed 05-Jul-17 11:27:26

He really is a cock.

Koalablue Wed 05-Jul-17 11:28:10

Lucky Mary. Imagine having to spell all those names and fit them on official forms.

Andrewofgg Wed 05-Jul-17 11:34:52

BringMeTea If the worst anyone can say of him is that he calls his sons by lots of, well, eccentric names and gives his daughter one ordinary name that's hardly cock country.

And in any event who are any of us to know what part his wife has had in choosing their names?

pisacake Wed 05-Jul-17 11:37:46

Calling your sixth child Sixtus, he deserves a knighthood just for that. grin

itssquidstella Wed 05-Jul-17 11:38:38

The worst thing is that, really, in Latin, it should be Sextus. I can imagine why he didn't go for it but, honestly, if you're going to be a crashing snob, at least be an accurate one.

JayZed Wed 05-Jul-17 11:38:46

I can imagine the naming conversation to go somewhat like this:
Him: Fuck number six and we're running out of posh names love
Her: How about six......tus????
Him: Yeah that sounds like a real word lets just go for that aye

squoosh Wed 05-Jul-17 11:40:33

I imagine they chose Sixtus after the Pope.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 05-Jul-17 11:42:05

He loves his Saints' names doesn't he?
Might actually beat my fave baby announcement ever
announcements.telegraph.co.uk/births/121028/walton-hayfield

BertrandRussell Wed 05-Jul-17 11:43:48

Sixtus is actually a completely different name to Sextus and nothing to do with being the 6th child.......

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 05-Jul-17 11:44:52

Maybe Mary does have 4 names, just they're all Mary
Mary Mary Mary Mary Rees-Mogg

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 05-Jul-17 11:45:25

Mary does have middle names too, mercifully normal names. She's Mary Anne Charlotte Emma.

noblegiraffe Wed 05-Jul-17 11:45:26

It's Stardust where the princes are given number names isn't it? Primus, Secundus and so on. If Jake had wanted to go that route he should have done it properly from the first!

MumBod Wed 05-Jul-17 11:46:24

Someone shagged JRM?

Six times?

Jesus.

EmilyDickinson Wed 05-Jul-17 11:46:27

In fairness Sixtus is an actual name. It's the name of the Pope who arranged the building of the Sistine Chapel and given that JRM is Catholic the name is probably after that Pope. However, it does give the impression that JRM and his wife have run out of ideas for names and decided to use numbers and of the number names Sixtus/Sextus is one of the worst I think. Tertius (for number three), Quintus (for number five) and Octavia (for number eight) I quite like, though I don't think I'd be brave enough to use them. Septimus (for number seven) isn't great either, although the character in The Barchester Chronicles is one of my favourites.

Maudlinmaud Wed 05-Jul-17 11:47:12

I was just going to say Mary has a few more names. All quite normal sadly. You beat me to it thinkingbee

Dumbledoresgirl Wed 05-Jul-17 11:47:22

I always had a bit of a yen to call a fifth baby Quintus. It never happened of course (baby or the name).

pisacake Wed 05-Jul-17 11:48:27

Tertius is an awesome name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now