Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Barry Norman has died

(31 Posts)
dustarr73 Sat 01-Jul-17 12:35:13

He was 83.Loved him on Film.Always outstraight and very funny.

FelicityLemon Sat 01-Jul-17 12:42:03

Sad news. RIP Barry

birdsdestiny Sat 01-Jul-17 12:42:39

Oh bugger.

Countessofthebadthings Sat 01-Jul-17 12:45:48

Another part of my childhood gone, this growing up malarkey really does suck 😕 Film was one of the programmes my DDad introduced me to, and later it was something DP & I loved watching as well (I like Claudia but Barry was clearly the best)

fussychica Sat 01-Jul-17 13:13:03

sadFilm was one of our favourite programmes until he left. It was never the same after that.

dataandspot Sat 01-Jul-17 13:20:06

I agree fussy chica.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Sat 01-Jul-17 15:22:40

Do do dooo, do do dooo, da da do do do, da da do do doooo! RIP Barry never have I been so well informed about Film as I was through the Barry years.

FourEyesGood Sat 01-Jul-17 15:27:20

Sad.

Will I still be able to buy Pickleodeon pickled onions?

Sgtmajormummy Sat 01-Jul-17 15:32:43

youtu.be/k4lRmG_UXy8
A fitting musical tribute with a smile from Barry Norman at the end.
RIP.

RustyBear Sat 01-Jul-17 15:33:21

sad
He lived in the village where I grew up. My mum & his MIL were friends and I babysat his daughters a couple of times, though I was only about 7 years older than the oldest one.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sat 01-Jul-17 15:38:12

I think I only watched Film once after he left it. It wasn't the same. That was a very long time ago, I hope he had a happy retirement.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 01-Jul-17 15:39:41

Oh sad

BlindYeo Sat 01-Jul-17 16:24:02

sad Often enjoyed Film in my younger years. RIP Barry.

CoolCarrie Sat 01-Jul-17 19:15:51

Sad news, very entertaining critic and interviewed some great stars in his time. Barry's wife Diana, was a wonderful author, she wrote under the name of Ariana Franklin as well as her own name. Sorry for his daughters and grandchildren.

FastAbsorbingCake Sat 01-Jul-17 19:19:22

Ohhh no I never watched Film after he left. And I loved his wife's books, even before I knew who she was (iykwim)

They lived local to me and were both big charity supporters.

pocketsaviour Sat 01-Jul-17 19:33:52

Oh that's sad. RIP Barry. He really introduced me, as a teenager, to the concept that film could be meaningful and worthwhile without being a huge box office success - and conversely that it could be both popularly and critically acclaimed.

cremedelashite Sat 01-Jul-17 19:35:28

Loved his film shows.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Sat 01-Jul-17 20:58:32

Apparently the Mail Online illustrated their news report about this with a picture of Barry Cryer (from I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue amongst other things). I feel pretty sure that BC will think this was very funny, but honestly! There can't be a person who grew up in the UK while Barry Norman was presenting Film On... who didn't know who he was. Sad news. Same age as my Dad. sad

ScarletForYa Sat 01-Jul-17 21:15:45

RIP.

I always watched him.

Sunnymeg Sat 01-Jul-17 21:30:59

He made some fascinating programmed about the movie business, I'd love to see his British Greats and Hollywood Greats series' repeated. He was the consument professional and the master of his subject.

TheFreaksShallInheritTheEarth Sun 02-Jul-17 09:22:49

Couldn't believe that when BN - an intelligent, articulate, knowledgeable presenter, journalist and film fan - left Film, he was replaced by the smirking, imbecilic Jonathan Ross. Programme straight down the drain.

I got chatting to a stranger at a bus stop years ago and mentioned I was off to see a film but wasn't sure about it. "Oh, Barry liked it" said the stranger. With such a recommendation I knew it was going to be fine!

RIP Mr Norman

KatherinaMinola Sun 02-Jul-17 15:24:04

RIP Barry never have I been so well informed about Film as I was through the Barry years.

Ditto, and yes, Jonathan Ross was a very poor replacement - went from a real arts show to just more magaziney entertainment. I went to see him speak many years ago, in his heyday - very glad I did.

LockedOutOfMN Sun 02-Jul-17 17:17:55

RIP. Very sad. Love to his family.

ForalltheSaints Sun 02-Jul-17 17:52:00

Thoughts for his family. And for my late father, who loved the programme even though sight limitations prevented him going to the cinema.

ElfineHawkMonitor Tue 04-Jul-17 00:14:05

My mum thought his name was 'Phil Matey'. Until 1981..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now