Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Glastonbury rubbish

(84 Posts)
Abra1d Mon 26-Jun-17 20:55:54

It's pretty awful seeing all that rubbish left behind.

Don't they have bins?

Sparklingbrook Mon 26-Jun-17 21:01:15

'Love the Farm, Leave no Trace' yeah right. hmm I think I read it costs £875,000 to do the clean up.

specialsubject Mon 26-Jun-17 21:06:28

So many too important even to take their tent home. They shouldn't be allowed to leave without showing a tent, although skanks like this would probably just throw them out of the car window.

PinkHeart5911 Mon 26-Jun-17 21:08:53

Tbh I've never been to a festival that didn't look like that at the end!

I don't know what's wrong with people I mean it isn't difficult to take your own tent home, or put your beer/wine bottles/crap in the bin or if the bin is full in a black bag near the bin at least.

Creatureofthenight Mon 26-Jun-17 21:09:02

There are bins and recycling points and litter pickers, but they are outnumbered by lazy fuckers!
There's a common misconception that if you leave your tent behind it will get given to a homeless charity, but I've been told that's not the case.

Sparklingbrook Mon 26-Jun-17 21:09:19

I would not like to be one of the litter pickers, imagine what you would find.. It's going to take 6 weeks.

Abra1d Mon 26-Jun-17 21:10:00

I think the attitude has spread from festivals to general life. They think someone will clean up after them wherever they go.

I really think we need a big Keep Britain Tidy campaign.

mermaidsandunicorns Mon 26-Jun-17 21:12:19

Our local fire crew goes up to glastonbury each year and collects tents that have been left behind. They clean them up then auction them off for charity it's brilliant

Gemini69 Mon 26-Jun-17 21:12:23

vermin

chitofftheshovel Mon 26-Jun-17 21:13:25

I'm the opposite of sparkling. I'd love to do the pick up, imagine what you could find!

MrsTrentReznor Mon 26-Jun-17 21:13:32

I think the local scout groups get to pick up loads of kit too. grin

Sparklingbrook Mon 26-Jun-17 21:13:54

Why would people leave their tent behind? Just laziness?

PunkAssMoFo Mon 26-Jun-17 21:14:06

My bil worked for a charity one year where they collected up left behind tents. His 'wages' were free entry to the festival. So some of them may be recycled. Some litter pickers may be paid on the same terms. If not, I imagine clean up costs are factored into ticket prices. Still doesn't excuse the dickheads who left the mess though

thisiswhatyou Mon 26-Jun-17 21:15:11

I've never really fancied a festival.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 26-Jun-17 21:15:22

Litter pickers will pick up as much as they can then the big vacuum cleaner things will be in and suck the rest up. I used to work at a festival (much smaller than Glasto) and it wouldn't take too long at all, even though all you could see was a sea of rubbish. They will have much more resource at Glasto. That said, it's obscene the waste left behind - there are homeless people who can't afford a tent and revellers just abandon them gaily. Maybr there should be a tent recycling point.

tarheelbaby Mon 26-Jun-17 21:17:26

I agree that the expanse of waste is depressing. I live near the site of another, smaller summer festival. Local groups register to litter-pick the site (as mentioned by MermaidsAndUnicorns) and salvage everything they can. Last year, the refugee camps at Calais were a hot topic and my local group of just a few grannies delivered car-loads of useful stuff.

Sparklingbrook Mon 26-Jun-17 21:17:34

Presumably for the last few days people have been sitting/sleeping and stepping over all that crapola? Yuk.

Abra1d Mon 26-Jun-17 21:17:41

It's more the mentality of just discarding used glasses and plates. Instead of finding a bin.

TellMeItsNotTrue Mon 26-Jun-17 21:18:28

Weren't they encouraged to leave their tent (in one piece) the year before last and they were collected up for homeless or charity? I know that's not normally what happens though

FaFoutis Mon 26-Jun-17 21:19:26

Some people take two tents and use one as a toilet. They don't take that one home.

Sparklingbrook Mon 26-Jun-17 21:20:46

OMG FaFoutis that is disgusting.

PlymouthMaid1 Mon 26-Jun-17 21:22:16

I heard that too,nice surprise for the litter pickers.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 26-Jun-17 21:22:19

Some of them will be pop up tents that practically put themselves up but are really tricky to pack up. I don't think that justifies it at all, but I can sort of understand why you might. If the pair of you spent £400 on your tickets and only £40 on your tent and you can't get the blooming thing to go in the bag, and you are tired and hung over and want to go home...

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 26-Jun-17 21:23:27

shock Fafoutis

FaFoutis Mon 26-Jun-17 21:23:29

I've done festival clean ups to get free entry. 'Fortunately' you can smell the toilet tents so are unlikely to step into one by accident. We were told to leave them for the hardcore cleaners - probably the sucky machine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now