Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Pampas grass

(60 Posts)
Mollypolly2610 Sun 25-Jun-17 22:07:56

DH and I were talking about what to do with our small front garden. I suggested tubs of flowers and he has just suggested pampas grass!!!!! I explained to him what this means and he said yes get some. Maybe someone who's on MN will call over! grin

SeaEagleFeather Mon 26-Jun-17 13:46:12

what does it mean? I thought it was just a nice grass!

Bloomed Mon 26-Jun-17 13:48:03

Well well. He clearly wants to move your relationship in a new direction grin

SumThucker Mon 26-Jun-17 13:48:34

Pure filth.

Bluntness100 Mon 26-Jun-17 13:49:10

My husband and daughter didn't know. Husband suggested pampas grass at the front and I responded with don't be ridiculous the neighbours will think we are swingers. They disputed heavily this is what it meant so I had to google it and show them...😂

I always look at homes with pampas grass at front and wonder. Mariella fostrup did an interview where she said she had planted some and had to remove it as someone did knock on her door!

ohidoliketobe Mon 26-Jun-17 13:49:11

seaeagle
www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2017/may/31/pampas-grass-secret-symbol-swingers-turn-off-sales-plummeting

SheWhoDaresGins2 Mon 26-Jun-17 13:50:36

Is he trying to tell you he wants to go swinging? grin

RosaDeZoett Mon 26-Jun-17 13:51:28

Our neighbours have it. But neither of them are very attractive so I've never been tempted to test the theory.... 😉

Bluntness100 Mon 26-Jun-17 13:53:45

The sad thing is I quite like pampas grass and we have a large garden where it would be useful coverage, however I just can't bring myself to plant it, I couldn't cope with a neighbour fronting up thinking we were up for it. 😂

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Mon 26-Jun-17 13:56:17

Unfortunately I inherited a massive bush (sniggers) when I moved into my house. So far no luck with anyone knocking !!grin

AmenacingWhistle Mon 26-Jun-17 14:13:25

I believe wicker hearts are the recent signal.

caitlinohara Mon 26-Jun-17 14:41:22

I have literally never heard of this and am so glad I dug the bloody stuff out of my garden!!

SeaEagleFeather Mon 26-Jun-17 16:05:42

Oh goodness, I wonder how many innocents are secretly being sniggered at!

MTBMummy Mon 26-Jun-17 16:27:35

Swinging aside, pampas grass is fucking evil! Grew up in a garden that had a bush and and I was constantly cut to ribbons by the fucking stuff.

MrsLlaneous Mon 26-Jun-17 16:59:38

What would it mean if someone had a pampas grass outside their home with wicker hearts hung all over it like some sort of titmas tree?
House no. 69 Perves Lane.

maggiso Mon 26-Jun-17 17:08:26

Oh dear! Our new house has a big clump in the front garden! I am quite sure the previous owner (an elderly widow) was as unaware as I am- but who knows! But how on earth do you get rid of it (it brings me out in a rash- which I think is common)- flame thrower?

TheDogsMother Mon 26-Jun-17 17:17:21

Ours Pampas is massive and outside the front. We have a little Airbnb rental so I'm horrified to think what goes through our guests minds when they arrive here shock

SunshinePop Mon 26-Jun-17 17:28:06

The rumours about Pampas grass aren't just mn ive heard it loads of times at work etc. Apparently also leaving a box of laundry powder in your front window and definitely the wicker hearts are signs to enter grin

My old neighbour had a wicker heart and her front door was like a revolving door 😁

Bluntness100 Mon 26-Jun-17 17:30:42

Seriously on the wicker hearts? I like them. Guess I can't buy one of those either.

Note to all swingers, seriously, could you pick something ugly as your signal? Garden gnomes mooning or something?

Theworldisfullofidiots Mon 26-Jun-17 17:32:24

Well known in my village.......along with the weekend swingers hotel at the top of the hill.....

AutumnalLeaves38 Mon 26-Jun-17 17:50:12

MrsLlaneous,

"What would it mean if someone had a pampas grass outside their home with wicker hearts hung all over it like some sort of titmas tree?"

Titmas tree??!!
You need to clarify if that's the very latest coded shrub in swinging, or just a brilliant typo...

Dibbles1967 Mon 26-Jun-17 17:56:46

Damnit... I didn't know this & never once heard mention of it on the swingers forums grin

It's evil for all sorts of reasons, foliage like razor blades & refuses to die when you try to get rid of it.

How about a nice ornamental cherry tree?!

emsyj37 Mon 26-Jun-17 18:00:16

We have some pampas grass in our front garden - nobody has ever knocked on our door asking for a swinging session sad.

I told DH that it was a signal for swingers and he thought I was making it up. I think if we did get a knock it might convince him that it is a Thing.

Idratherhaveacupoftea Mon 26-Jun-17 18:20:04

It's a load of nonsense. I remember this back in the 60s, it's just one of those daft things that's been handed down to the next generation.

Mollypolly2610 Mon 26-Jun-17 18:58:49

He is out shopping for wicker hearts now! Only kidding - no pampas going to be here! And I've taken the box of OMO out of the window.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now