Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Yay! Flat's found for grenfell residents

(35 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Wed 21-Jun-17 14:58:52

Just hope there are enough

StealthPolarBear Wed 21-Jun-17 15:09:17

Why does my phone feel it necessary to put an apostrophe before each 's'

ClopySow Wed 21-Jun-17 15:14:52

Linky?

StealthPolarBear Wed 21-Jun-17 15:15:29

Sorry www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40357280

ILookedintheWater Wed 21-Jun-17 15:27:59

68 flats found, to cover 130 odd flats lost.
But these are local, and they are drafting in workers to get them completed. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

EnidButton Wed 21-Jun-17 15:49:35

They look like really nice, well equipped flats too. Shame they couldn't all have one (if they want one) but it's very good news.

EnidButton Wed 21-Jun-17 15:51:05

This has pics of the showflat. www.standard.co.uk/news/london/sixtyeight-flats-in-2bn-luxury-block-to-be-given-to-families-whose-lives-were-devastated-in-grenfell-a3569876.html

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Wed 21-Jun-17 15:52:16

Some good news.

smile

BendydickCuminsnatch Wed 21-Jun-17 15:53:25

That's fab! How does it work, will they be able to stay there as long as they like?

NoCapes Wed 21-Jun-17 15:54:21

Ooo they're lovely
I'm not sure I'd be keen to live in another tower block though if I were them (obviously I'm aware they don't have a choice)

Bigcomfyknickers Wed 21-Jun-17 15:56:06

Such good news! They deserve it. I still well up every time I think of them.

honeysucklejasmine Wed 21-Jun-17 15:57:20

A good start. The sad fact is they won't need to provide 130 flats, as the families that needed them have perished. sad

Barees Wed 21-Jun-17 16:03:06

They're not getting the luxury flats. It's standard that luxury developments in London now have to provide "affordable" housing too. This is the sort of housing that has a separate entrance for the luxury and non luxury accommodations (not sure if this does, but many do). As stated in the article, there's a gym..but not for these guys - they won't have access to the "services". The quality of finishing won't be luxurious either.

So the developer seems to be getting good publicity for this. The article sounds like it's written by their PR team, not an independent BBC journalist.

Saying all that, it'll be nice and new and fresh and clean and not too far from where they were before. All of those are good things.

Deathraystare Wed 21-Jun-17 16:04:29

My friend was up there a few days ago. She has a friend that lives nearby. She said she had asked the police to move the cordon as the press were too nearby and asking everyone who walked out the door if they knew anyone who had died. Apparently an art group were going to put on an art exhibition in the community hall but decided not to and in the end just brought some paints etc instead and invited people to use the paints themselves. A lot of local kids did and they talked about it as they painted the tower so I hope it was beneficial to them. Apparnelty my friend said it was on Channel 4.

Another thing mmy friend said is that some time ago the council tried to get people out of the flats and get them moved out of the borough ( the cynics amongst us know they would have wanted the flats or rebuild them for the rich. Apparently it is better for a posh area to have empty flats owned by Oligarchs and the Chinese than a buzzing community who are poor/not so rich. One lady was asked to move somewhere else and enquired where she would buy her ackee from.

I said I guess they will have to demolish now and she told me they would have to remove the asbestos first. Ulp..

EnidButton Wed 21-Jun-17 16:12:08

Barees Ah that's a shame. Still, they're brand new and like you say, close to where they did live.

Fattywattyswalkofshame Wed 21-Jun-17 17:15:40

Have you all seen the daily mail comments there is a lot of hate on there. I am afraid that this will cause a backlash on the victims.

WhiskyIrnBru Wed 21-Jun-17 17:18:52

The Daily Mail comments are disgusting, but what can you expect from that rag.

bigbluebus Wed 21-Jun-17 17:20:28

They absolutely deserve to be somewhere lovely after what they have been through - even of they don't get something like the show flat.

AndNowItIsSeven Wed 21-Jun-17 17:23:05

They will need to make sure all the tenants are excempt from the bedroom tax/benefit cap. Even as social housing those flats will still be relatively expensive.

FeiYenKansu Wed 21-Jun-17 17:24:20

How will this work for those that were sub letting?

LucieLucie Wed 21-Jun-17 17:27:07

How will this work for those that were sub letting?

I'd assume they'll continue to sublet, probably at an increased rate.

lbsjob87 Wed 21-Jun-17 18:20:25

Great news at last, and so pleased they will be together.

Only yesterday, I think, Piers Morgan laid into Michael Gove on GMB because there was talk of shipping them off to Birmingham, Manchester, all over, and I think Emily Maitlis took up the same issue with Theresa May yesterday too.

To lose literally everything and then be taken away from your friends and family through no fault of your own is inconceivable.

Things like your school, if you're a kid, or your work, sports clubs, church, whatever, would be give a sense of normality in unsettled times. To be forced to give up all that as well would be just cruel.

eynesbury Wed 21-Jun-17 18:27:25

I wouldn't assume the sub-letting will be allowed to continue

Wormulonian Wed 21-Jun-17 18:30:28

Good news for some of the people! I hope they find cribs for everyone else too (but not those subletting)

68 flats for 10 million in Kensington, cost price apparently. Surely that can't include land cost? It works out about £147,000 per flat. My local (SE but not London) affordable flats in a sub prime area start at £348,000 or £115k for 30% shared ownership. If the price K&C are paying includes the build costs and land cost then the profits being made on so called affordable homes are shocking!!

AyeAmarok Wed 21-Jun-17 19:00:40

Good for them.

Sounds like the government are starting to get their arse in gear with this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now