Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I bloody HATE house inspections

(11 Posts)
AnniesTurn Mon 19-Jun-17 22:32:54

I don't want some random stranger walking around my home whilst I'm not here every 12 bloody weeks

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Mon 19-Jun-17 22:34:26

Then say no.

FeiYenKansu Mon 19-Jun-17 22:43:32

My son and his girlfriend were hassled by their estate agent.

I drafted a letter for them to tell estate agent that allowing people to view would spoil their quiet enjoyment of th property and that it would be better to allow viewing the after then have moved out. Estate agent agreed.

AnniesTurn Mon 19-Jun-17 23:09:42

I don't think no is an option is it? Pretty sure it's in my contract

ProudBadMum Mon 19-Jun-17 23:10:32

I have these. I'm not arsed as they don't stop me doing anything.

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 20-Jun-17 00:07:38

You can say no.

The contract cannot supersede the law - and the law gives you the right to quiet enjoyment. That's not precisely defined, but you can certainly insist that the time is convenient to you, so that you can be in. Some people would argue that every 12 weeks is really excessive.

The only risk with citing quiet enjoyment and making a fuss is, of course, that you are fairly powerless and the agent/LL could decide they want a more biddable tenant, and could decline to renew your contract when it's up/give you notice.

If it were me, though, I'd definitely be insisting the visits were when I was there.

Floggingmolly Tue 20-Jun-17 00:10:01

Every 12 weeks is a bit intense, isn't it?? I don't blame you.

DancingLedge Tue 20-Jun-17 00:35:02

Meanwhile, back in the real world, those of us who are tenants have no choice about this.

I hate it. But there it is, if this is what your landlord requires,xthis is how it's going to be.
I try to look for positives- I'm pretty crap at keeping on top of the house, so the three monthly inspection means I benefit from a cleaner, tidier house than I would otherwise have.
Gives me an easy chance to chew their ear about any unresolved maintenance issues. Whilst of course smiling sweetly and being icily polite.
Its great when its over .
Yup, that's about all the positives I've been able to come up with.

RavenclawWriter Tue 20-Jun-17 01:02:44

Ours are every 12 weeks too. Drives me mad. They can get pretty arsey when we want to change it. We refuse to allow them access without us being there, so sometimes we have to reschedule slightly so we can be there. It's really annoying because they have a go at us about our dusting whilst we're still waiting for them to replace the kitchen that is full of damp and has cupboard doors falling off and ripped lino, and for them to do something about the damp in the rest of the house. Luckily we have another house lined up, which we'll be renting from a family friend. If they haven't sorted the problems out before we leave, the landlord will struggle to afford it without our rent! So they won't be able to rent it out. Serves them right really!

adlertippa Tue 20-Jun-17 07:36:58

This is one of the main things that makes me want to buy. Our letting agents consistently fail to inform us in advance of house inspections and keep turning up when we're not expecting them. Once I was asleep in bed between night shifts and was woken up by someone scrabbling at the door, went down and it was someone trying to let themselves in with their own key.

We complain and get apologies every time and and the next time it happens again. It's beyond frustrating and so invasive. And 3 monthly feels insulting, we're all adults and not trashing the place.

Once they left a little note advising us to defrost our freezer (owned by us). Wtf! Stop looking in our white goods! Expecting commentary on our fridge contents next.

Roystonv Tue 20-Jun-17 07:52:09

No letting agent should be using these inspections to check on your dusting/tidyness they should only comment if any are affecting the house and causing damage/deterioration to the landlords belongings - this is not unreasonable. The agent should also be checking the house for repairs that are needed so that the property remains in good order so that the clients investment is retaining its value and so that the tenant is not disadvantaged. The tenant should be making use of these times to point out problems they have noted - this makes you a good tenant as as well as pointing out problems that are affecting you you are helping maintain the property. Retired letting agent here and I am continually appalled at the criticism letting agents get on here; so many are letting the industry down it is meant to be a working relationship that benefits all 3 parties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now