Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Sister going to prison.

(87 Posts)
NachoAddict Mon 19-Jun-17 22:15:17

My sister is up in court on Wednesday and it is likely that she will be remanded straight away, possible she might get bail until the sentence hearing but highly unlikely due to the serious nature of the charges.

She did the crime and is pleading guilty and it is justice that she goes, not disputing that of course but I still feel like crying for the mess she is in. She has a 4 month old baby.

Can't really talk about it in real life but I don't know how to feel. I feel sad I guess.

W1A Mon 19-Jun-17 22:18:16

That sounds so tough. Are there any local organisations that can help you as a family? My dad spent a lot of time in prison and I know my mum had a lot of emotional support.

NachoAddict Mon 19-Jun-17 22:19:16

Thank you for being Kind W1A I don't even know where to look for support, I know it's not my bad situation but it is still hard.

Dowser Mon 19-Jun-17 22:19:28

So sorry to hear that.
Can she take her baby with her.

user1493630944 Mon 19-Jun-17 22:21:39

She needs to get legal advice, at the very least duty solicitor on day of appearance. Solicitor can explain her circumstances and seek bail and/or alternatives to custody.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 19-Jun-17 22:24:13

Holding your hand. Absolutely this is your bad situation. This is your sister and your neice/nephew, so Of course it effects you.
Have there been plans for who'll care for the baby.

NachoAddict Mon 19-Jun-17 22:25:36

She has a solicitor, they have advised her to plead guilty as early as possible to get a more lenient sentence but also advised her to pack a bag on Wednesday.

She can't take the baby, baby will stay with dad until October when he is on trial, he was charged first and already pleaded not guilty.

SenoritaViva Mon 19-Jun-17 22:26:52

I really feel for you. What a worry. Investigate and take all the help you can. Be there to help your sister accept and take responsibility, but also remember to look after yourself and needs too.

NachoAddict Mon 19-Jun-17 22:27:11

Thanks Baby I just feel so helpless and I kniw that she broke the law, it's totally right she is punished but when it is staring you in the face it is hard for everyone.

The baby will stay with her dad then in October our other sisters and her husband will look after her until her mum is released and settled.

PotteringAlong Mon 19-Jun-17 22:27:55

What will happen in October? Will she be out by then?

www.familylives.org.uk/about/our-services/action-for-prisoners-and-offenders-families/

This organisation might be able to offer help and support flowers

Clawdy Mon 19-Jun-17 22:28:01

So sorry flowers

TressiliansStone Mon 19-Jun-17 22:28:03

There was a very good thread recently when someone's daughter was sent to prison. Lots of practical info and links, and explaining what to expect. It might be emotionally helpful too.

What to take to prison

PotteringAlong Mon 19-Jun-17 22:28:38

Ah, cross post.

back2worktoday22 Mon 19-Jun-17 22:28:42

It must be so hard for you. Do you know how long she is looking at getting?

EverythingEverywhere1234 Mon 19-Jun-17 22:28:54

Oh no OP, that's so sad sad it must be so tough for you and you must feel so conflicted. Look after yourself 💐

OrlandaFuriosa Mon 19-Jun-17 22:29:37

So sorry, really hard for you.

Is there an organisation that helps prisoners' relatives? Worth getting people to talk to in RL as well as here.

NachoAddict Mon 19-Jun-17 22:29:53

Thank you so much for the links I will read through. The more info the better.

She is looking at 3 to 5 years she has been advised but she will get time off for an early guikty plea.

ColourfulOrangex Mon 19-Jun-17 22:31:06

So sorry OP flowers

INeedANameChange Mon 19-Jun-17 22:32:42

Have you thought about who will have the baby?

NachoAddict Mon 19-Jun-17 22:42:21

Our older sister and her husband will have the baby from October when the babies dad will likely go to prison too (or sooner if he is unable to cope)

overduemamma Mon 19-Jun-17 22:45:15

So sorry to hear your crap situation. I thought mothers could take their babies into prison with them until they were a year old? Or is she not wanting to do that?
X

SenoritaViva Mon 19-Jun-17 22:47:05

Should / is dad really able to look after baby? What support might he need? Can you help by organising this?

MaudAndOtherPoems Mon 19-Jun-17 22:48:01

There was a lot of practical information on the thread linked to above.

These organisations can offer help and advice to families. There are also lots of factsheets from the Prison Reform Trust.

gillybeanz Mon 19-Jun-17 22:48:58

I'm so sorry you are going through this, it is hard for the family.
I was in your position a long time ago and my dsis had a baby in SCBU at the time of the hearing.
They were told to expect her to get 3-5 years, she was out in 12 months.

She was responsible for the crime, but her now exdh was the one that insisted she signed the forms. It was benefit fraud and she deserved to be punished, but he got away scot free which was so unfair.

Just be there for your sister and your niece/nephew it's all you can do.
Look after yourself. thanks

TaliZorahVasNormandy Mon 19-Jun-17 22:49:40

That is a lot of upset for a tiny baby. Mum in prison at 4 months, dad in prison at 8 months. What will happen when mum and dad are released?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now