Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is Poldark actually really shite?

(147 Posts)
EarlessToothlessVagabond Sun 18-Jun-17 21:55:49

I've never watched it before admittedly. Acting doesn't seem great to say the least. There's just been some kind of weird slow mo bit of Aiden thingy cavorting in the sea with some other bloke and there's constant simpery music on. Is it really shite?

Foxyloxy1plus1 Sun 18-Jun-17 21:58:02

No, it's not.

LuxuryWoman2017 Sun 18-Jun-17 21:58:39

Yeah but Aiden Turner.
It's Sunday night fayre. It's very watchable and had a great looking cast. It's fine.

MajesticWhine Sun 18-Jun-17 21:59:08

No not shite. You should have watched it from the beginning. I'm recording it tonight so looking forward to some cavorting.

FelixtheMouse Sun 18-Jun-17 21:59:15

Yes. The first BBC version was much better.

BeanSprout79 Sun 18-Jun-17 21:59:59

How dare you, wash your mouth out this instant.

PlayOnWurtz Sun 18-Jun-17 22:01:50

It's become shite. I can do without the dude playing George Warleggan and the simpering sap that is his wife

Izzy24 Sun 18-Jun-17 22:04:58

Sorry, I think this series is very disappointing so far.

Not as many beautiful scenery shots or emotive music.

And the hook armed bloke was probably the worst actor I've seen on TV for a very very long time.

notquitegrownup2 Sun 18-Jun-17 22:07:47

I watched my first ever and probably last episode last week. I appreciate the eye candy but couldn't believe how bad the dialogue was. Not much for the actors to work with there.

Amazed how popular it is, even with Aiden Turner. Maybe the first two series were better?? Or maybe it's just that one production of Poldark is enough for anyone, and yes, I remember the original BBC production too.

Izzy24 Sun 18-Jun-17 22:08:38

Yes, the first two series were much much better!

kmc1111 Sun 18-Jun-17 22:10:10

It's garbage. Nice to look at garbage, but garbage all the same.

LittleCandle Sun 18-Jun-17 22:11:40

I struggled my way through the first series, in the hopes that I would be able to enjoy it and not compare it to the original. I know the books inside out and back to front. I was horrified by the casting of Elizabeth, Aiden Turner was really unsympathetic and the only highlight was seeing Robin Ellis (the original Ross Poldark) in another role. Of course the original series has aged, but it was wonderful, even if it strayed from the books here and there. I have not watched another episode of the new one and won't.

DD1 lives in Truro and has had various cast members in the shop where she works and has nothing good to say about their attitude at all.

Sycamorewindmills Sun 18-Jun-17 22:12:21

It is a bit Catherine Cookson, but Ross does ride a lovely black horse.

carrotcakecupcake Sun 18-Jun-17 22:20:04

It's a total snooze, I don't understand the hype. We struggled through series 1, decided to give series 2 a try but gave up after a couple of episodes. Haven't bothered giving the current season a try!

PurpleWithRed Sun 18-Jun-17 22:24:00

Can't stand it. Bring back the properly cast, truly smouldering original series. Especially anghared Rees.

PunkrockerGirl Sun 18-Jun-17 22:36:47

In answer to your question, no it's not.
If you're not enjoying it that's fine, but why not just switch channels or use the off button?
We all like/dislike different things on tv, that's why thankfully there's a lot of choice. Why anyone can be arsed to post on here instead of availing themselves of the remote control is a bit beyond me, tbh.

SoThisIsSummer Sun 18-Jun-17 22:40:10

How very dare you ! NO its not!

Its so good I am saving it up grin to watch a few at a time and have some in reserve.

Hand maids tale is bloody wonderful though over on C4

MaQueen Sun 18-Jun-17 22:40:46

I have no idea about plot or dialogue (something to do with Cornish tin mining, I think?) but, you know, it has Aiden Turner in it wearing tight breeches and looking hawt....

RJnomore1 Sun 18-Jun-17 22:45:00

Aiden Turner

I can turn the sound down and pretend it's a prequel to being human

And yeah Aiden turner

I think there's other people in it and some vague story about a tin mine but ermmm did I say aiden turner?

expatinscotland Sun 18-Jun-17 22:45:47

It's shitty shite. And I don't find Aiden Turner attractive as Ross, who is a total cunt.

MaQueen Sun 18-Jun-17 22:47:23

I don't think it necessary to concern ourselves with minor details like plot, narrative, characters, dialogue do you RJ???

PortiaCastis Sun 18-Jun-17 22:49:00

I live near Gunwalloe and watched them filming on several occasions and yes hmm Aidan Turner

PlayOnWurtz Sun 18-Jun-17 22:49:18

Aiden Turner is beautiful but he's wasted as Ross Poldark. He was fantastic in being human and not so much in poldark.

StealthNinjaMum Sun 18-Jun-17 22:49:56

Aiden Turner <sigh>

RJnomore1 Sun 18-Jun-17 22:51:50

Absolutely no Ma. I like to approach it as a lynchian immersive experience

It's art, a thing of beauty <sigh> and then there's the programme too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now