Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Tim Farron has resigned as LibDem leader

(29 Posts)
tanfield90 Wed 14-Jun-17 18:41:10

Just seen this on BBC News. I wasn't expecting this.

OffcialMalbecTaster Wed 14-Jun-17 18:52:59

I've read his statement and still don't understand why though.

VladmirsPoutine Wed 14-Jun-17 18:56:04

Essentially he is unable to reconcile his Christian faith with liberal values.
I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. I mean on what planet does the leader of a Liberal group have to be harangued and badgered into admitting support and tolerance for liberal values. It's frankly bizarre.

Kokusai Wed 14-Jun-17 19:51:41

WTF was he ever doing in the lib dems anyway? He is super 'socially conservative'

mimbleandlittlemy Wed 14-Jun-17 20:23:17

Good. Perhaps now they will elect Vince.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Wed 14-Jun-17 21:03:00

It always seemed as though he was uncomfortable with the potential conflict between his politics and his faith. The LibDems didn't seem secure with him at the helm. Vince Cable is a sensible man. I would like to see what he could do.

EnidButton Wed 14-Jun-17 21:06:35

Agree or disagree with his stance on gay marriage etc (I disagree) his reasoning was good. He would've been a better vicar than a politician.

What a shame Nick Clegg isn't around to take the reins.

EnidButton Wed 14-Jun-17 21:06:59

Oh yes Vince Cable would be good.

NetballHoop Wed 14-Jun-17 21:10:02

I'm glad he's gone. He seemed like nice man but not a political leader. I hope they don't now choose Vince Cable as while I have lot of time for him, he is too old to lead the party into the next election

Covfefe Wed 14-Jun-17 21:10:52

Brian Paddick resigned because of Fallon's stance on homosexuality during the election campaign. That may have prompted it.

DrDreReturns Wed 14-Jun-17 21:10:58

Just means he doesn't like gays. He should join the DUP.
Hopefully Vince Cable will get the leadership.

HTK Wed 14-Jun-17 21:19:30

VC a bit old.... Jo swinson or Ed Davey?

Argeles Wed 14-Jun-17 23:15:13

What annoys me, is that Tim Farron was faced with constant questions as to his views over gays and abortion on account of him being a practicing Christian, whereas Theresa May (also a practicing Christian) was not.

It is also outrageous that we are all just expected to sit down and shut up, and accept that the DUP will govern with the Tories, despite their anti gay, anti abortion etc standpoints.

Mothervulva Thu 15-Jun-17 08:03:12

I don't think he ever expected to be leader of the party, it was a result of the party being decimated. I think he's done his best, but this is the right decision. It was between him and Norman Lamb last time so will be interesting to see who goes up for it this time.

HappydaysArehere Thu 15-Jun-17 09:41:43

We couldn't understand the badgering he got. Just interviewers being their usual aggressive thing. He wasn't lettng his views influence policies. It's a shame. They have obviously lost someone of integrity.

caffeinestream Thu 15-Jun-17 09:43:35

I'm not surprised. I don't think he's a very good leader. He's my local MP and while he's pretty good with getting behind local events and issues, I don't think he's much use on a national level.

KurriKurri Thu 15-Jun-17 10:01:39

Good - he's a bigot not a liberal. It's not 'Christian' to be anti gay, lots of Christians aren't, in fact lots of Christians are gay - it's perfectly possible to be a Christian and not subscribe to a bigoted interpretation of the Bible.

Added to which - why announce it on the day of a horrendous tragedy, - no one gives a fuck that he's resigned when people have died in a horrific fire (In fact no one gives a fuck he's resigned full stop). No reason at all he couldn't have postponed his 'momentous announcement' for a few days.

Or does he think the Bible says 'thou shalt unnecessarily try to draw attention to thyself on a day when others have been affected by something much more important.' ?

jodiemumtodavid Thu 15-Jun-17 10:06:24

Tim Farron is awful. I'm glad to see the back of him. I liked the Lib Dems when they had Paddy Ashdown but they have really messed up for me since Clegg and now Farron.

hackmum Thu 15-Jun-17 11:00:25

Farron's voting record on gay rights is much better (ie much more progressive) than Theresa May's. So it's a bit strange that she doesn't get the same kind of stick as him.

histinyhandsarefrozen Thu 15-Jun-17 11:03:23

Farron's voting record on gay rights is much better (ie much more progressive) than Theresa May's. So it's a bit strange that she doesn't get the same kind of stick as him.

I can't understand it.

One is a Christian who votes for Gay-rights. One is a Christian who votes against. Who gets all the shit about it? Farron.

I wonder who will be leader now...

Dervel Thu 15-Jun-17 12:15:09

Ok so that's the official reason, my money's actually on forming this progressive alliance with labour. Farron made constant reaffirmations that "he" wouldn't lead the party into coalition. Now he's gone the party is free to do so under a new leader. Smoke and mirrors as usual.

Topseyt Thu 15-Jun-17 15:32:17

I wish the new leader could be Vince Cable. He is in his seventies. Would he stand?

I think he is brilliant. The best of all of them.

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 15-Jun-17 16:03:55

inguess now he can be as prejudiced and judgemental as he likes.

He may be a bigot but at least he's no longer a hypocrite.

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 15-Jun-17 16:04:11

inguess now he can be as prejudiced and judgemental as he likes.

He may be a bigot but at least he's no longer a hypocrite.

soapboxqueen Thu 15-Jun-17 16:08:59

It isn't hypocritical. Liberal values mean you don't stand in the way of others freedoms. Hence why he voted for lgbt rights.

It is highly illiberal to demand everyone thinks the same way you do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now