Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Fire checks - do them today, please.

(178 Posts)
CoralDreamscapes Wed 14-Jun-17 09:20:36

1. Check your smoke / fire alarms.
2. Check your fire doors and escape stairs aren't blocked (and report if they are).
3. Check your fire extinguishers, fire blankets, window axes etc.
4. Figure out your escape routes and discuss with children if appropriate.
5. Invest in an emergency chute if you think it may be helpful to have an alternative means of escape.
6. Fit additional smoke detectors inside your flat or home, one may not be enough to give you a safe escape route.

KoalaDownUnder Wed 14-Jun-17 09:22:02

Good post.

I know my fire alarm is fine, but realised today that I don't own a fire extinguisher. shock. Will be rectifying that asap.

voobylooby Wed 14-Jun-17 09:22:50

Embarrassingly I hadn't even thought of having an extinguisher or fire blanket.

Good post.

CondensedMilkSarnies Wed 14-Jun-17 09:25:31

Also don't overload plug sockets and clean behind cookers , fridges and freezers.

CoralDreamscapes Wed 14-Jun-17 10:01:31

vooby and koala With the extinguishers there are several types, have a think what is most needed in the area you plan to use it. Our fire blanket is in the kitchen.

Condensed Absolutely agree.

ProfessorHannigan Wed 14-Jun-17 10:46:51

I've always thought those fire escape ladder things look good. I have escaped 2 fires. One was in a 2 up 2 down house. There was no warning, couldn't smell the smoke as bedroom door was ajar/shut. Just heard a crack sound. You can't breathe. Its like being underwater. Get your plans in place.

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Wed 14-Jun-17 11:02:52

What is the best sort of things for emergency exit via window from the second floor?

I've seen ads for metal rope ladders, but are chutes better?

CoralDreamscapes Wed 14-Jun-17 11:19:31

We have a chute because we can use it hotels etc. (One of us works in a very HSE conscious industry); also we used to live on a high floor of a tower block. I would hate to use it though; I'd be more comfortable using a rope ladder type setup from a second-floor window.

ProfessorHannigan Agreed, get plans in place and discuss with children what to do. Glad you got out OK from two, how horrible.

SingaporeSlander Wed 14-Jun-17 11:43:47

Also interested in people's opinions on chute / ladders.

Have look a lot previously but not come to a concision - advice welcome!

SingaporeSlander Wed 14-Jun-17 11:44:34

Looked a lot
Not come to conclusion.

Sorry autocorrect envy

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Wed 14-Jun-17 11:50:12

I'm reasonably sure that we can all get out from the first floor (via porch roof at front and extension roof at back; or even if straight drop, it's survivable). But one teen is one floor higher up, and I think I need to add another way out.

CoralDreamscapes Wed 14-Jun-17 12:36:50

Fire service are best for advice - I think they will check your property and advise fro free (they will in London at least).

Whisky I would definitely had an extra route if you can.

Whatever you chose also remember to think about anchor points for it to be attached to.

TatterdemalionAspie Wed 14-Jun-17 14:47:37

This is something that really worries me.

Our window design is such that they don't open wide enough to climb out of. As one side opens out, the other side comes into the middle, if that makes sense. I don't know what to do about it.

LikeARedBalloon Wed 14-Jun-17 14:55:59

Tatter - how about a small hammer to break the glass? Could keep one near each window?

Ginger782 Wed 14-Jun-17 14:58:46

Good post @CoralDreamscapes

If you children are old enough, discuss how to
escape from a fire and where to wait/meet in the yard. I remember my parents practicing with me and it's made me more aware as an adult. Remember to tell children not to stop for pets, make sure they know that a grown-up will help pets if they can. I recall a sad story locally where the whole family escaped a house fire for the son to run back looking for the dog sad.

AdoraBell Wed 14-Jun-17 14:59:53

I know my smoke alarms work, the toaster sets them off almost daily.

We have a loose plan of how to get out if there a fire, as in this window opens onto the roof above the kitchen, that window over downstairs loo, these ones, might be a broken leg it's a short drop. If front door blocked, back or side doors. DDs know, eye roll every time we bring it up, but they know and it gets talked about periodically. They also know to just go.

I'm so glad we are in a house. I used to live on the 15th floor.

Bloody teenager charges her phone right above her bed though, plug is a whisker away from the mattress. I tell her every fucking day and I'm going to get a sparky in to disconnect the plug socket.

Ginger782 Wed 14-Jun-17 15:02:44

Something similar may be encouraged in the UK - here in Australia the fire service run advertising promos at the end of daylight savings every year to remind people to change the batteries in their smoke detectors. It's a great initiative and makes people remember to change them once a year, regardless of whether the batteries are flat or not. Don't wait for the batteries to NEED to be changed.

NerrSnerr Wed 14-Jun-17 15:04:35

I keep a duvet cover in my daughter's room so she can be put in and lowered out of the first floor window if we couldn't get down the stairs.

ThomasRichard Wed 14-Jun-17 15:09:48

I was thinking this morning that I couldn't remember the last time I did a fire drill with the DC. We'll do one straight after school. Luckily we live in a normal house so it's not too complicated.

ThomasRichard Wed 14-Jun-17 15:10:55

Nerr that's a really good idea. I have a toddler carrier for DD in my emergency bag but a duvet cover would be a lot quicker and easier.

fuzzyfozzy Wed 14-Jun-17 15:11:31

I have a fire blanket because ofsted say I should have one but the fire Brigade came round and said they don't want people to have a blanket/extinguisher. They just want people to leave!

CondensedMilkSarnies Wed 14-Jun-17 15:23:48

Fuzzy I supplied fire extinguishers for tenants because I was told to by the council years ago.

They've now said don't supply them as it encourages people to stay and fight the fire , putting themselves in danger .

I think the message is now to just get out asap.

summerlovinggirl Wed 14-Jun-17 15:24:11

Love the duvet idea, I'm going to remember that. I also keep an extinguisher at the top of the stairs (I wouldn't try and put a big fire out, just to try and aid us getting down the stairs to the door). I also keep a fire blanket in the kitchen.
We're lucky in that DS did a project on fire escape a couple of years ago so he knows all the exits - we also question him what he would do in different scenarios. This proved really helpful as the other day when we did it, he'd completely forgot that we also have a door in the living room - it hadn't crossed his mind to use that. He also wanted confirmation that he could smash windows if needed. The only thing worrying him now is how we'd get the dog (who sleeps in the kitchen as he digs at the carpet) out. That was a more difficult question at the time, I didn't really know but now I've come up with a solution for that.

trixymalixy Wed 14-Jun-17 15:26:31

Coral, what is the chute that you have?

HelenaJustina Wed 14-Jun-17 15:30:07

The fire brigade came out to us and did a survey of the house. It was useful in helping us develop an escape plan and to make sure the DC were aware. The Get Out, Stay Out, Call Out is still best advice. But they were full of other ideas like assembling in one bedroom by an open window. Close doors at night, don't run appliances overnight etc. We have mains operated fire alarms with battery back up and fire doors on the 2nd floor but the important thing is to have a plan and don't panic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now