Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

DD's friend wants her to go roleplaying - isn't it a bit weird?

(19 Posts)
Titsywoo Fri 19-May-17 21:55:56

Sorry had no idea where to put this. So DD started a new school in Sept and has been having trouble making friends in her form. She has found some girls that she likes in other forms so has made some nice friends there. They all like things like anime which DD isn't really into (she likes youtube, coding etc). She is closest to one girl who does live roleplay games with one of her parents a couple of times a month. She has asked if DD wants to go with her one weekend. DD wasn't interested at first (possibly because I said it was a bit odd blush) but is now saying she'll give it a try.

Is it good for young teens? I have been encouraging her to do stuff outside of school as some bullying is denting her confidence so she has joined the Guides. This just seems overly geeky and like it might distance her from her peers more? Or should I stop being ignorant and judgemental and let her try whatever she likes? grin

NellieFiveBellies Fri 19-May-17 21:57:49

let her try it.
roleplay is just make believe for kids that pretend they are too old to play make believe grin they all love it.
thats why gaming is so popular.

Of course you should let her try what she wants and stop being judgemental and horrible!

SavoyCabbage Fri 19-May-17 22:01:33

Perhaps she can't find her place as she feels 'geeky' and senses that you see it as a bad thing.

MeadowDream Fri 19-May-17 22:02:55

Nufin wrong with being geeky from time to time grin

FannyWisdom Fri 19-May-17 22:04:47

I've been LARPING.

It's brilliant (even at my age) don't knock it.....

BillywigSting Fri 19-May-17 22:06:41

Let her go. Live action role play is basically where you act out your dungeons and dragons (or whatever rpg it is you're playing). It's called larp for short.

It can be very cringey but a lot of fun too.

It's very geeky but there is, and let me be abundantly clear about this, absolutely nothing wrong with being geeky

spiderlight Fri 19-May-17 22:07:13

It's never been my thing but lots of my old Uni friends did it and they weren't that weird! I have friends who still do it in their 40s and take their kids along - the kids all love it, get to go camping and dress up and wave swords around. Let her give it a try - if she doesn't enjoy it, no need to go back, but don't dismiss it without knowing anything about it.

JumpingJellybeanz Fri 19-May-17 22:07:49

My DD (now 23) and all her friends are totally into this. They have loads of fun.

CreamCheez Fri 19-May-17 22:09:42

I've got friends who love it. Good clean fun! We all did it when I was younger, but some of us are still into it in middle age! Not me, but I'd have a go, if asked.

Sittinginthesun Fri 19-May-17 22:10:51

Wow, is this still a thing? I went a few times with a group of friends in the 1980's. We had a great time, but I had NO idea what was going on. I distinctly remember someone shouting "you can't talk to him, you're an Ork" grin

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Fri 19-May-17 22:13:21

"you can't talk to him, you're an Ork"

Fantastic, I shall remember that phrase for when I'm lost for words one day

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Fri 19-May-17 22:14:57

You're being really judgmental, OP.

Titsywoo Fri 19-May-17 22:20:54

Ha I'm not really horrible honest grin. I don't have a problem with geeks - my DS and DH are pretty geeky. It just seemed a bit odd to have a roomful of adults (I assume most are since they go with her parent) playing a fantasy game but of course everyone is different. But of course you're all right, if she wants to try it I will let her go.

I don't treat her like she's odd - I just tell her to be herself, always.

I guess I'd better find out more about it really!

Titsywoo Fri 19-May-17 22:21:48

I know that Whattodoaboutthis - I was quite clear I thought I was being judgemental smile

SuperPug Fri 19-May-17 22:27:36

DH used to be into this, from childhood. Gave him a lot more confidence, made like minded friends. Not my cup of tea but generally nice people who seem to take part.
It's also good for encouraging creative imagination, Maths skills etc.
TBH, I was a bit hmm on first impression but it seems pretty positive on the whole.

SuperPug Fri 19-May-17 22:28:20

Also, watch the beginning of Stranger Things to get an idea of how it may work.

Firenight Fri 19-May-17 22:29:29

If she's up for it then yes she should. Nothing wrong with RP and she might have a brilliant time.

StarryCorpulentCunt Fri 19-May-17 22:35:52

To me it just seems like acting without the script or cameras. She might love it and by all accounts it is a very positive hobby, great communities etc. I used to be into a very small fandom that did occasional LARP and it was a great experience. I really miss them actually, such a family type community.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now