Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can some people just not handle alcohol?

(34 Posts)
Squirrelfruitandnutkin Fri 19-May-17 19:31:30

I stopped drinking when pregnant 6 years ago. I occasionally tried drinking again but it always tasted too much of alcohol/ acidic/ unpleasant.

Anyhow last night I had about 100ml of white wine. didn't enjoy it. Didn't drink any more of it.

Last night I woke and felt nauseaous, then a few hours later with a banging headache. And this morning felt decidedly fuzzy headed!

Seriously can some people just not handle booze?!?

DangerMouse17 Fri 19-May-17 19:33:51

Yes or you might be allergic to the type of drink. I can't handle much wine as I'm half Japanese and Japanese don't have the enzyme to break down alcohol...so it effects me quickly.

I also find that wines or ciders containing sulphites can often make me feel very ill for a few days.

hellokittymania Fri 19-May-17 19:42:45

I can't drink alcohol and really, the flavor has never appealed to me either. I got so much stick for it as a person in my early 20s. Now I just don't care and I'm happy ordering a coffee while everybody else orders alcohol.

DesperatelySeeking2016 Fri 19-May-17 19:42:52

I am struggling with this at the moment. I drink quite rarely now, partly because of how awful it makes me feel. Last night I had 2 small glasses of wine alongside 3 large waters whilst out with friends and I have felt dreadful all day - been on the loo loads and have a really unsettled stomach, feel constantly thirsty and fuzzy headed (and so so tired). I wondered if it was the wine and whether I should try drinking something else or whether I just need to give up. I have a hen weekend in a couple of weeks and I am dreading it!

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Fri 19-May-17 19:52:38

When I did drink I was a light weight - half a bottle of wine and I'd be v tipsy. Much more and I'd be hungover the next day.

I was ok with not drinking - just assumed I'd get back to it at some point. But seriously if 100ml of wine does that to me!

I used to be able to drink wine/ gin/ cider before so I don't think I can be allergic.

NotYoda Fri 19-May-17 19:55:46

When I was a student, alcohol used to make me sweaty, red-faced and breathless; especially wine. It still doesn't agree with me that much. I will get sick from alcohol quite easily and have always had bad hangovers.

I don't drink very much at all now, but I do enjoy the little I have

NotYoda Fri 19-May-17 19:56:11

... beer is much better now

NotYoda Fri 19-May-17 19:58:31

*Desperately

Yes, 2 glasses of wine would be more than enough for me now, even if interspersed with wate

BelligerentGardenPixies Fri 19-May-17 20:02:46

I have a very low tolerance for alcohol and feel pretty tipsy after one glass and will feel ill if I drink more than two.

I don't mind, I'm not that fussed about drinking but enjoy a little drink now and then.

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Fri 19-May-17 20:11:20

It's reassuring it's not just me that can handle the drink.

I need to improve my alcohol free drink options. There's only so much lemonade I want to drink on a rare night out.

NotYoda Fri 19-May-17 20:13:42

Yes, that is the problem. Alcohol-free drinks are really expensive for what they are, too

Bluetrews25 Fri 19-May-17 20:23:52

Alcohol is actually poison to the brain, I was taught on an awareness training day for staff in hospital a million years ago.
It is possible to have a good time without it! Honestly! grin

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Fri 19-May-17 20:24:21

The sugar overload/ hangover is nearly as bad as the booze!

Suppose that makes me a very very cheap date with my glass of tap water! 🙄

kel1493 Fri 19-May-17 20:26:54

Some people can, others can't. I've always thought it was just one of those things.

TroysMammy Fri 19-May-17 20:27:02

Two mouthfuls of normal strength wine and my eyes start swivelling. A 250ml glass and I want to sleep. A bottle of wine lasts me 3 days.

kel1493 Fri 19-May-17 20:30:10

I have a very high tolerance though. I drink every day, because I enjoy it not because I need to.
I can drink a bottle of wine an evening and not even be slightly tipsy. On spirits, I can drink even more. If I'm spacing my drinks out through the afternoon and evening I can handle even more than that.
And I don't get hangovers and I have never ever not been able to remember everything that's happened (even the most drunk I've ever been, I still remember everything like it was yesterday). Gotta love a high tolerance.
And no rude comments please.

YouBoggleMyMind Fri 19-May-17 21:37:06

I can drink a fair bit (not at the minute as pregnant!) but my DH can't drink more than a couple of pints without throwing up and being in bed for a day. It just doesn't agree with some people.

lucysmam Fri 19-May-17 21:51:22

Interesting thread.

It's got me thinking...I usually drink rosé. Twice I've bought a different wine fairly recently, and been really off it after drinking not even half the bottle.

But if I buy Hardy's, Blossom Hill, or even a £2.99 Lidl bottle I'm absolutely fine drinking the bottle over the course of a Saturday night (maybe 5-6 hours so not rushed at all).

I thought it was just me but maybe there's something about that particular bottle (Isla something-or-other) that doesn't agree with me confused

CressidaTheHeathen Fri 19-May-17 22:26:14

My Asian friend can't handle alcohol - apparently it's quite common. She is terrible after even a glass of wine and becomes very poorly.

I'm sure I'd be much healthier if I had similar genetics!

SunsetBeetch Fri 19-May-17 22:49:04

I can drink spirits and lager and be fine, but wine has a weird effect on me. Apart from making me feel sick, I sometimes get shooting pains in my upper arms confused

Scribblegirl Fri 19-May-17 22:54:40

Interestingly I'm the opposite - I'm a total lightweight on anything other than white wine. Frankly I actually don't like the taste of any other booze. I've never seen the appeal of shots or anything.

I do love WW though. I reckon I could easily drink it every day but I've recently realised it's becoming too much of a feature in my life so I'm operating a new rule of 14 booze free days every month. The problem is I'm just a bit of a bonne vivante, its got sod all to do with getting wasted and all to do with the taste. I'd rather never drink again than only drink dessert wine hmm

DissonantInterval Fri 19-May-17 23:01:58

I really can't. One glass of wine and I feel dizzy and exhausted. More than one and I feel really sick and as if I'm going down with a bad cold or flu. Some people (and some whole racial groups ) don't metabolize alcohol efficiently.

Marv1nGay3 Fri 19-May-17 23:12:21

It's an age thing with me. Now that I am perimenopausal, even a small amount of alcohol gives me terrible indigestion. I used to tolerate it fine!

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Fri 19-May-17 23:14:32

I've noticed recently that wine makes me feel quite sinusy and my eyes water. I get quite headachy soon after drinking it, like an immediate hangover.

Too much alcohol irritates my digestive system, so although I've always been a lightweight, I started reducing what I drank pre-child. Since gaps from pregnancy/ earlier days of BFing, I drink sporadically. Usually gin and tonic these days which seems to agree with me much better than wine.

DissonantInterval Sat 20-May-17 00:02:33

Somewhat that sounds as if you might be reacting to the sulphur in the wine. I think if you are sensitive to that it can cause sneezing, bunged upness and headaches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now