Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Shut the f***king curtains!

(342 Posts)
wheresmycake Thu 18-May-17 12:48:20

What little things in TV shows / films have you shouting at the TV every time? Mine is the way nobody ever closes their curtains at night. It's dark outside, you have the lights on. Therefore, everyone walking past or in the next apartment building can see you walking around in our underwear or PJs / getting it on with the person you are supposedly having a secret affair with. Aaargh!

KathArtic Thu 18-May-17 12:56:17

I dont close my curtains in real life. I may drawer them a little, but never fully - even my bedroom ones.

flibberdy Thu 18-May-17 12:58:19

DH gets so fed up with me always pointing things like this out..

"Thy didn't close the door behind them, anyone could walk in off the street"
"There's nothing in that mug she's pretending to drink tea"
"That phone doesn't make that ringtone"
"Did you know any phone number quoted in an American movie will have a 555 in it somewhere?"
And the one that irks me the MOST is when someone receives a text from 'withheld/anonymous ' - I'm pretty sure that's impossible. I mean, I could be wrong but hiiiiiighly unlikely grin
(Goodness me, I must be so annoying!)

HmmOkay Thu 18-May-17 12:59:03

They can always park right outside the building that they are visiting. Prime spot right outside is always available to TV folks.

They never have to circle around the block or park in a piss smelling NCP half a mile away.

fleur34 Thu 18-May-17 12:59:35

When they say "shall we go for a drink later" and the other person is like "yeah" and then they dont arrange a time or location to meet!

Also when people meet for said drink, but then stay there for 10 seconds and walk out (usually without paying) - argh!!

Also when soap pregnancies last approx 3 weeks

And when the baby is born, it is never in the show!!! and the parents are always seemingly out (going for a drink - see above)

hollyoaks - i'm looking at you!!!! grin

(i think i watch too much tv,.....)

flibberdy Thu 18-May-17 13:04:15

Ooh also no one ever will say "pardon?" "Can you repeat that?" "I never heard you" "eh?"

Everyone has perfect hearing and super clear diction obviously

Ifonlyiweretaller Thu 18-May-17 13:04:34

When they stand under the shower naked THEN turn it on but don't appear to get a blast of icy cold water before the warm comes through...

HmmOkay Thu 18-May-17 13:06:51

"When they say "shall we go for a drink later" and the other person is like "yeah" and then they dont arrange a time or location to meet!"

Bloody hell. I hate that.

In American programmes, you usually get someone who lives in a huge house. If they ever have an overnight visitor, the visitor always has to sleep on the improbably small sofa in the living room. And not one of the many spare bedrooms.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Thu 18-May-17 13:10:31

When they ring the doorbell, it gets answered in 2 seconds.
If not, they start banging on the door after 5 seconds.
It takes me 10 seconds to get off mumsnet walk downstairs to answer my door

HmmOkay Thu 18-May-17 13:11:31

On TV, I hate it when someone knocks on the door and the person inside answers within a nanosecond.

Most people in real life don't hang about just inside their front door waiting for a knock. They are usually watching telly inside in their pants.

HmmOkay Thu 18-May-17 13:12:20

Ha. Cross-posted, Squiffy.

arcticnead1984 Thu 18-May-17 13:13:01

"When they say "shall we go for a drink later" and the other person is like "yeah" and then they dont arrange a time or location to meet!"

OH MY GOD this!

Also..bit crude...any lovemaking/romantic scene......never ever is it hindered by normal things like

"soz mate it's my period"...
"Do you have condoms"?..."wait a minute I'll check this drawer..I swear they were in here last week!!!"

elephantscansing Thu 18-May-17 13:14:32

People ordering drinks or food then taking one sip or one mouthful then leaving! Argh.

grassinpocket Thu 18-May-17 13:15:11

We always laughed at people in Neighbours going off to live in a completely different place at a moments notice.

No planning or boring paperwork, passport checking etc. Just leave and never come back

And no one ever gets their sleeve caught on a door knob
Or sits at the wobbly table in a cafe

BookWhore Thu 18-May-17 13:15:20

When they don't close the fridge door - drives me crazy worrying about the air temperature rising!

patheticpanic Thu 18-May-17 13:15:21

They never talk about watching the television.

givemushypeasachance Thu 18-May-17 13:15:53

American houses always seem to have a billion small lamps everywhere, often on even before the owner gets open. Maybe they're on a timer to deter burglars, but still. Weird.

NightWanderer Thu 18-May-17 13:16:21

Their houses are always so clean and tidy but they never seem to clean or tidy.

paap1975 Thu 18-May-17 13:16:27

Scenes where they have rampant sex then get out of bed in their underwear!

kkkkaty123 Thu 18-May-17 13:16:32

Usually on American programmes people never say bye when ending a conversation on the phone ! So rude

Optimist1 Thu 18-May-17 13:17:16

I have a theory that 90% of bouquets that appear in TV/films end up being thrown in the bin! flowers smile

WetPaint4 Thu 18-May-17 13:18:04

Similar thing to the door thing but with phones. On TV, whenever someone is making a phone call, the person on the other end answers immediately. Because of course every person is just waiting by the phone...

NotAPuffin Thu 18-May-17 13:18:26

Thirteen Reasons Why was particularly ludicrous in its lack of curtain closing, especially given that EVERYONE slept downstairs and there was a known issue with a photographing stalker.

FurryLittleTwerp Thu 18-May-17 13:20:29

They never use the toilet.

They never say "Goodbye" on the phone - the conversation just stops hmm

FurryLittleTwerp Thu 18-May-17 13:20:49

Snap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now