Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How to look after those herb pots you buy from the supermarket?

(34 Posts)
Ironfloor Fri 21-Apr-17 17:49:24

So I buy these herb pots from Aldi for 89p each. I try my best to keep them going for as long as possible by watering them daily, giving them enough sunlight etc. but after about a week (at best), they start wilting and I have to throw them away before I've used all the herb up.

I feel it's quite a waste, as I keep throwing away unused herbs. If it's something like basil, I can only use it maybe twice a week, when I make pasta sauce. Coriander, again, maybe twice a week at best.

I suppose I could use dried herbs, but it doesn't taste the same, does it? Could I re-plant them in one of those window sill planters?
The package says you should treat it like any other potted herbs but they don't last long enough.

mumonashoestring Fri 21-Apr-17 17:51:27

They stuff in a load of tiny seedlings to make them look all lush and verdant - there's no way they can survive for long like that though. Once you get them home, soak them til water's running out of the bottom of the pot and the soil is wet through, then split them into 4 or 6 and replant them in smaller pots (or one really big one) in fresh compost.

mumblechum0 Fri 21-Apr-17 17:52:14

Dh puts mine into airpots (air-pot.com). Usually splits each plant into 2 and they last 6 months easily.

P1nkP0ppy Fri 21-Apr-17 17:54:17

Basil will root in water if you cut stems off a plant. Only water basil when it starts drooping, never let it stand in water.
You could also chop the herbs and freeze them - use from frozen.

lucysmam Fri 21-Apr-17 17:57:17

Can I jump in and ask how well they survive outside?

I've managed to keep a basil plant alive quite a while now & wondered about a herb garden outside smile

UpYerGansey Fri 21-Apr-17 17:58:36

This thread is a revelation. Thanks OP

P1nkP0ppy Fri 21-Apr-17 18:00:45

Basil will survive outside in the summer, providing it's warm and sunny hope springs eternal v notvsure about coriander.
I plant other tougher herbs outside- rosemary, thymes, sage etc and leave them there- they need well drained soil and sun.

FruSkogKattOla Fri 21-Apr-17 18:05:03

One of our (now X) NDNs, who's a landscape gardener (Chelsea Flower Show medal winner, no less!) told me to just plant them in your garden as soon as you've bought them - then they should survive forever, even with you sniping off leaves now and then!

NecklessMumster Fri 21-Apr-17 18:08:18

I buy a basil plant once a year in spring, split it into about 6 and plant them into little pots with compost and keep them on my windowsill all summer

mumonashoestring Fri 21-Apr-17 18:15:01

If you use a lot of coriander it's worth buying a couple of windowsill planters (or outdoor troughs) and using both for coriander - it's fast to grow from seed but also very fast to 'bolt' (flower, go to seed and lose a lot of its flavour). If you sow each trough in turn you should manage to always have some growing while you're cutting the other lot.

Chives toughen up and survive outside very well, and will come back year after year.

Mint will survive very well outside but will take over if you let it, I keep mine in pots (apart from a big wild patch at the allotment!)

shadowfax07 Fri 21-Apr-17 18:19:25

I've got mint, rosemary, parsley, chives, sage, thyme and oregano growing outside in pots. All have survived the winter, but the oregano is looking very sorry for itself.

I need to plant more parsley, we get through loads, and if anyone knows where I can get a tarragon plant from, please let me know!

R00tat00tt00t Fri 21-Apr-17 18:20:22

Marking place, intrigued by this. Will come back and read later.

skyzumarubble Fri 21-Apr-17 18:28:04

Mine are never around long enough to find out - if I do eg bolognaise or a tomato pasta the whole pot gets used .

LaundryQueenHatesBunfights Fri 21-Apr-17 18:30:50

Great thread, thanks for the info everyone!

WandaOver Fri 21-Apr-17 18:32:30

I split them into several pots. Also if you freeze fresh herbs they are much better than dried and will keep in the freezer for years a long time.
Basil rarely survives outside in UK but most other herbs will.
I also do this with the rooted lettuce except that I plant that on my veg patch and it gives me salad leaves for weeks.

WellTidy Fri 21-Apr-17 18:33:22

Basil is the only herb I can keep alive. I find that it needs watering every couple of days. I put the pot in a shallow bowl on the window sill, and water every two days, until the water comes out of the bottom. Mine always last a good few months.

I can't keep coriander though. Rosemary, Mint, lemon mint and thyme all grow for me in pots in the garden.

mumonashoestring Fri 21-Apr-17 18:36:47

shadowfax here y'go smile

www.unwins.co.uk/mobile/tarragon-french-plants-pid2849.html

olderthanyouthink Fri 21-Apr-17 19:02:50

I threw a mint plant that I thought I'd kill outside and it took over the pot it landed in.

Never managed to keep basil, thyme or chives alive long.

The chives would have been alright in the garden I think.

dailymailarecunts Fri 21-Apr-17 19:05:35

This is a revelation! I'll be buying some herbs to try and keep alive tomorrow, thank you!

WandaOver Fri 21-Apr-17 19:30:51

Chives grow like weeds in my garden. The thing about most herbs is that they take up very little space in the garden, need no attention and can crop for years. I'd plant in the garden rather than in pots then you never need to water. Parsley I find does bolt quickly but self seeds. Catch it at its best and chop the lot to freeze.

Pixel Fri 21-Apr-17 19:50:02

I usually end up putting them outside and I stick some fleece over them in the winter if they are in pots on the patio. Things like thyme and sage seem to survive ok, and mint of course. I do have some chives and some flat leaf parsley on my kitchen windowsill that have been there all winter with me chopping bits off now and again. They were the supermarket ones so I've got my money's worth. I just water them little and often as they are right by the sink.

VanillaSugar Fri 21-Apr-17 19:54:13

I put the plastic pot in a bowl nd water from underneath, never on top. Works for me!

CakeNinja Fri 21-Apr-17 19:54:40

Bloody hell, I snip what I need from them then chuck them hmm never occurred to me to try and keep them as a plant!
To be honest, I only ever buy the plants when there are no little packets available, the plants are a last resort for me!

bertsdinner Fri 21-Apr-17 20:31:49

I bought a few potted herbs in Morrison's last year, curly and flat leaved parsley, chives and mint, and put them in pots outside. They survived winter and are doing well, the mint is going crazy. I think they do better outside. Basil is tender though and may not survive our winters.

CrazedZombie Fri 21-Apr-17 20:41:15

I found that garden centre herbs last much longer than supermarket ones. They are pricier than Aldi but I can keep them longer so work well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now