Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

polynesian tattoo on a caucasian

(108 Posts)
jdoe8 Fri 21-Apr-17 16:49:33

is there anything inherently wrong with this?

PurpleDaisies Fri 21-Apr-17 16:50:46

Why do you ask?

I think people can choose whatever tattoos they want and I'd assume it meant something to them.

Fl0ellafunbags Fri 21-Apr-17 16:52:27

Bit tacky like those daft buggers who have something "meaningful" written in Chinese that turns out to be yesterday's TV listings. Each to their own though.

originalbiglymavis Fri 21-Apr-17 16:53:53

What would that look like then? Most likely better than the hotdog I saw on a man's arm recently.

jdoe8 Fri 21-Apr-17 16:54:56

A family member (who has never left Europe..) is planning on getting a whole arm done.

I'm often out of date with what is racist / cultural appropriation and wasn't sure if this is on the shit list.

PurpleDaisies Fri 21-Apr-17 16:59:12

I don't think it's racist. Why should it be?

jdoe8 Fri 21-Apr-17 17:07:46

well its taking something meaningful from another culture.

if dreads on a white guy can be racist then who knows where the line is

PurpleDaisies Fri 21-Apr-17 17:08:50

Are dreads on a white guy racist? I've never heard that before.

floraeasy Fri 21-Apr-17 17:10:04

I don't see anything inherently wrong with it.

For instance, plenty people wear kilts - you don't need to be Scottish.

Why not, I say!

originalbiglymavis Fri 21-Apr-17 17:12:26

Loads of Japanese tourists love tartan and I can't believe that every American who says they are Irish could possibly be so (there are so many!).

juneau Fri 21-Apr-17 17:14:00

I personally think it's naff and culturally inappropriate, but 'tribal' tattoos have long been big business and continue to be (see Brooklyn Beckham, who just got a native American chief tattooed on his arm). What the hell that has to do with the rich kid of a footballer and a pop singer I don't know ...

steppemum Fri 21-Apr-17 17:15:08

I think dreads are considered to be cultural appropiation rather than racist.

No idea whether this tattoo would fit that.

Are you (he) thinking of a whole arm like the guy in Moana?

Tootsiepops Fri 21-Apr-17 17:17:39

I think it's absolutely cultural appropriation.

sonjadog Fri 21-Apr-17 17:19:08

Yes, it´s cultural appropriation. Personally, I wouldn´t do it.

VladmirsPoutine Fri 21-Apr-17 17:19:56

I think you are conflating two things here. There is nothing 'racist' about white men (or women, for that) that choose to style their hair in a dreadlocked fashion. Nor is there with getting a tattoo that symbolises another culture.

What you are describing is cultural appropriation. I personally think it's an individual choice.

PovertyPain Fri 21-Apr-17 17:22:41

With so many different cultures in the uk and Ireland now, it's common for traditions to overlap. How do you define cultural appropriation? Do you stop eating in Chinese, Indian, restaurants?

degustibusnonestdisputandem Fri 21-Apr-17 17:22:41

I wouldn't do it. Tattoos in Polynesian culture have very special meanings, I believe they have to be "earned"... (Aussie here, so have probably had a lot more to do with South Pacific people than most here...)

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Fri 21-Apr-17 17:22:44

I used to have dreads. I'm white.

Is it considered cultural appropriation? I just have hair which tangles and mats easily and I was at a place in my life where haircare was a low priority (addiction and depression).

ShesAStar Fri 21-Apr-17 17:24:11

Wouldn't it be awful if we weren't free to use and enjoy things we find interesting/beautiful from other cultures?

originalbiglymavis Fri 21-Apr-17 17:24:44

So when I see a Celtic design tattoo on someone else I should get all bothered? I think not.

kmc1111 Fri 21-Apr-17 17:26:46

Those tattoos have deep cultural meaning. It's not like someone here just picking out a design they like that has a personal meaning to them. Polynesuan tattoos have meaning not just to the wearer but to the their whole community and the actual tattooing is treated as a sacred ritual. The designs and their location are chosen based on a persons geneology, position in society and personal achievements.

Some white people have these tattoos because they were invited to become a part of a particular community or celebrated by a particular community. That's fine. But otherwise? Not ok. The best comparison I can think of in this society would be wearing an armed forces uniform and certain medals you like the look of when you've never actually served.

floraeasy Fri 21-Apr-17 17:28:21

I agree ShesAStar IMO sharing stuff will do more to help foster understanding between cultures than being protective and insular about it.

VladmirsPoutine Fri 21-Apr-17 17:28:47

King Do you associate dreads with a low priority haircare regime? Because maintaining dreads isn't a case of just letting hair tangle and mat of its own accord.

ShesAStar Fri 21-Apr-17 17:31:51

I disagree kmc1111 - I think it's more akin to a non- Jewish person getting a Star of David tattoo or another religious symbol from a religion they don't celebrate but like the look of.

originalbiglymavis Fri 21-Apr-17 17:33:34

But a jewish person (religious ones) wouldn't get a tat anyway so it would look odd indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now