Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Does anyone have a Now TV box?

(8 Posts)
Snugglepalace Fri 21-Apr-17 15:51:23

We've decided to reduce our Sky bill and downgrade to a cheaper package. Problem is that it will mean we will loose the kids channels (Nick Jr etc) which they watch a lot of.
So I'm thinking of getting them a Now TV box in their rooms.
Is it any good?
Do you need an aerial for these?

ViolentDelights Fri 21-Apr-17 15:54:06

You need an aerial for the freeview channels but if you just want the on demand stuff then all you need is the internet. You don't even technically need the box as it's all online or via an app.

Mrsemcgregor Fri 21-Apr-17 15:56:41

We have one in the kids room and use the app and a chrome cast for the lounge. You just connect to your wifi.

Kids channels are only £2.99 a month, well worth it.

GlitterGlue Fri 21-Apr-17 18:49:34

We've had them. They're good. The boxes are often on offer which makes it cheaper to buy a box Rather than just using the app.

confuugled1 Fri 21-Apr-17 18:53:46

I was wondering about doing similar - but we don't have unlimited data on our internet. Just wondering what people's experiences are with regard to how much data gets used and what sort of burden it puts on the system - does it need to be over a certain speed or do you find it hangs much?

Smeaton Fri 21-Apr-17 18:58:07

Get a Roku 2 or 3
Then you an download Netflix, Amazon, Nowtv and YouTube.
There's also lots of free kids apps on the Roku store like busy beavers, happy kids, badunamu, hippy hoppy show, chu chu TV so on and so on.

They're more expensive than a now tvbbox but they offer all the choices, i dont think you can get Amazon on a now tv box for example, and are easy as plug in, turn on.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 21-Apr-17 19:06:22

You can get most of the satellite channels by using your old sky box as a free sat box. That's what we do as we don't have an aerial at all. I bought six months now tv subscription from curry's plus a box last week for £19.99, which is a total bargain.

MongerTruffle Sun 23-Apr-17 16:57:24

They have two boxes - the normal Now TV box (commonly known as the "black box") and the smart box. The smart box also allows you to watch Freeview channels which you need a DVB-T2 aerial for. The other services require an Ethernet or wireless connection to the internet (at least 2 Mbps). If you've got the Variety Sky package just for the kids channels, that's a saving of £9 a month. You get all the kids channels available on Sky live and on demand. If you have a Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast or an old computer around the house you can plug that into a TV or monitor and watch Now TV through that.

To be honest, I would cancel the Sky subscription, and just get the Entertainment and/or Cinema passes as well. You can carry on using your Sky box as a Freesat box for free. If you get a viewing card for £25 (one-off) you can use their [[ www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/ Freesat from Sky]] service (which they don't advertise), which gives you more channels. The only thing you lose is the recording functionality of your box.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now