Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How to study GCSEs at evening classes?

(19 Posts)
kingfisherblue33 Fri 21-Apr-17 13:15:57

I want to do a psychology GCSE for fun, as an evening class.

I have googled courses local to me and my council pages but they don't seem to offer it. The only thing I've found is buying the course from the exam board and doing it myself.

I'd hoped to do it in a class to meet others - and motivate me. Can annyone advise? Is it possible to sit GCSEs this way?
Thanks.

LIZS Fri 21-Apr-17 13:19:51

Local further education college?

2014newme Fri 21-Apr-17 13:22:02

Check the local colleges.

kingfisherblue33 Fri 21-Apr-17 13:25:26

Nope, they just do core subjects like maths and English.

Fink Fri 21-Apr-17 13:27:17

It's quite a restricting option, if you have to do GCSE rather than any other qualification and it has to be Psychology. If you want to do some further learning in a group setting, I'd advise being more open to different courses. Even here in London, where there are loads of opportunities for mature students, I can't think of any that offer GCSE Psychology in the evenings. Have a think about what exactly you want out of the course and that should guide you as to whether a different subject & qualification would be suitable.

GERTgert06 Fri 21-Apr-17 13:32:08

I did GCSE Psychology at a local evening class. It was interesting, and I really enjoyed it. Due to cutbacks, I think they're only offering subjects like Maths and English in my area now.

Cat0115 Fri 21-Apr-17 13:36:03

Find out if any of your local schools have a Psycholgy teacher then approach them via school asking if anyone does tutoring. You would have to pay more but perhaps find/advertise for a few others once you find a teacher...

CaulkheadNorth Fri 21-Apr-17 13:43:59

Might they offer an "introduction to psychology" course instead? Ours do that rather than GCSE

mygrandchildrenrock Fri 21-Apr-17 13:47:44

I used to teach psychology GCSE at night school at an FE college. I taught twice a week, one night the GCSE class and another night, 'psychology for fun' which was the same content without the exam at the end and we could go more in depth if we wanted to!

kingfisherblue33 Fri 21-Apr-17 13:53:15

Thanks, all. I just thought of psychology as I'm interested in it. I wanted an exam at the end as that motivates me more than open-ended studying.

I am open to other courses - I did an AS level in modern history in evening class years ago. Can you do an A level from scratch, or do you have to do a GCSE first?

Lapinlapin Fri 21-Apr-17 13:54:50

You don't need a GCSE first - you could do A Level psychology without it.

Tralala33 Fri 21-Apr-17 13:57:42

There's very little funding so these kind of courses are few and far between I'm afraid.

kingfisherblue33 Fri 21-Apr-17 14:15:18

I don't mind paying for it, Tralala - I dont expect it to be free!

ClashCityRocker Fri 21-Apr-17 15:16:41

Everywhere local to me has stopped doing gcse evening classes for anything other than maths and English.

Having said that, I found a level psychology rather dull - I probably had unrealistic expectations though! It was rather more maths-y than I had anticipated....

kingfisherblue33 Fri 21-Apr-17 16:12:45

Ooh, is it, Clash? That's not good. I've done enough maths!!

Perhaps I'll try sociology instead. Or a 'softer' psychology course.

Tralala33 Sat 22-Apr-17 05:35:18

Sorry King, wasn't implying you expected it to be free!! My post was badly written.
These courses have always cost to the learner but were heavily subsidised, but as funding in FE was cut, the cost to learners grew significantly, so courses were cut.
When I started teaching 15 years ago I taught an evening A Level. It cost about £150 for the student. When the course was cut 5 years ago the cost was £700 per year, for the 2 year evening class. Most people just don't want to pay that kind of money to do an evening class. It's such a shame.

Violetcharlotte Sat 22-Apr-17 06:28:20

You should be able to do psychology A level without doing the gcse first. I dye it a few years back. It depends on your GCSEs though, I think at the time you needed at least 5 at C or above. It was a good course, really interesting.

kingfisherblue33 Sat 22-Apr-17 20:37:19

Thanks, Tralala. Shame indeed.

Violet - I did O Grades in 1986! I have two degrees though, so should be OK...

brokenshoes Sat 22-Apr-17 20:48:21

I did A level psychology without having done the GCSE years ago. It is a bit mathsy, (has to be to cover the statistics part of the course), but I did ok having only scraped my grade C in maths GCSE at my second attempt grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now