Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

School run help!

(12 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Fri 21-Apr-17 12:40:03

My friend is very newly pregnant, she asked me ages ago that if she got pregnant again, would I do her school runs. She gets dreadful morning sickness and is in no fit state to drive her DC around (the nursery she uses is out of town). So my mornings will soon include putting my DD in the car, driving down to my friends, herding my DD and my friends two eldest DC to school (round the corner from friends house) then taking friends 4yo to nursery out of town. I'd have to collect them too in the same order.

Friend wants to pay me but I don't know how much to tell her! Nursery is approx an 8 mile round trip I think so obvs will have to factor in running costs too. What should I say!?

DonkeyOaty Fri 21-Apr-17 12:43:20

No nursery nearer? Jog on would be my answer.

LiarLawyer Fri 21-Apr-17 12:46:52

It's all hunky dory if you have nothing else to do. Otherwise....

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Fri 21-Apr-17 12:49:13

I'm a SAHM so have all the time in the world. Her 4yo will be starting school in september so it will only be a couple of months of going out there. I really don't mind.

LiarLawyer Fri 21-Apr-17 12:56:34

If you don't mind then it's fine. No idea though how much to charge her, to be honest. If she is a good friend I would do it for free and tell her she can return the favour in some way in the future. Others here might have different opinions though.

Waggamamma Fri 21-Apr-17 12:58:30

8 mile round trip twice a day? 50p per mile (that's what I get at work), that's £8 in mileage per day, plus your time. As she's a friend maybe charge £10-£12 per day?

ProudBadMum Fri 21-Apr-17 13:00:02

If you don't mind I don't understand the issue. But if you really don't want to do quote her £100 a child grin

I wouldn't charge a friend but my friend would do favours for me in return. She had my daughter when I was unwell and picked my son up from school when I was running late from yesterday

I pick her son up if she has an appointment or isn't well. I'll have him overnight so she can have a break and she has mine.

No payment. Sometimes we will get each other a packet of cigs but we both smoke them anyway.

Guess it depends if she helps you out or would if needed

steppemum Fri 21-Apr-17 13:05:08

If you are happy to do it, then yes do it paid. Put it on a business footing, and then she or you can choose to bakc out at any point.

When you pay for something you are much less likely to take it for granted. However it doesn't have to be a lot of money.

Qork out the mileage, not just petrol, mileage includes wear and tear on car, so 30p per mile is quite normal. Add on a bit, maybe round it up in some way.

I took my friend's dc on a regular basis and I would have done it as a favour, but she always paid me, and I did appreciate that, certainly stopped me from feeling taken for granted etc.

Do think through - what if your dc are sick? So if one is sick and you had to take other one to school, what do you do now with sick one?
What if both of yours are sick and in bed asleep, would you still have to turn out to ake hers?
How would that work with her kids and nursery drop off? You need a back up plan.

2014newme Fri 21-Apr-17 13:06:47

How will you pay tax on the income? Are you set up as self employed?

2014newme Fri 21-Apr-17 13:07:56

Also if she is paying you, do you need business insurance for the car?

Eragonsegg Fri 21-Apr-17 13:11:53

She's your friend. I would do it for petrol money.

FusionChefGeoff Fri 21-Apr-17 18:24:56

Do you need the money? Can she afford it??

If it's a 'no' and 'yes' I would suggest she treats you both to a lovely day out or something when she's feeling better rather than cash payment...

If it's 'no' and 'no' I'd say do it as a favour for free.

'Yes' and 'no' maybe just petrol money

Yes and yes, work it out in time at the living wage??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now