Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Recipe box subscriptions - any good?

(6 Posts)
TheUpsideDown Fri 21-Apr-17 12:29:29

Do any fellow MN'ers use a recipe box subscription service (eg. Gousto, Hello Fresh, Simply Cook etc).

I hate food shopping and I hate having to think up dishes to cook each night. Its a huge chore that I detest. So I'm considering one of these subscriptions.

But is it worth it, and is it cost effective (we're not on high incomes and gave to budget carefully with everything). Or is it just an expensive gimmick that will lose its novelty fairly quickly?

Would love to hear from anyone who does use / has used one of these services...

TheUpsideDown Fri 21-Apr-17 12:30:20

*have (not gave)

FriedPisces Fri 21-Apr-17 12:33:18

I loved using Hello Fresh, it really helped, but definitely not with the cost. I had to stop because it just wasn't cost effective at all. I was still having to do a shop for breakfasts, lunches, fussy kids dinners and weekend food so it just worked out more expensive in the end. I miss it though and would only do it for occasional weeks now. The recipes were delicious though.

originalbiglymavis Fri 21-Apr-17 12:36:23

We used to get one but we all eat different things due to diets so would end up with some odd things that we didn't want to eat.

I also got a one which had all the ingredients for included recipes​ at a charity thing and it was lovely but I was the only one who could eat it and it was loads for one person and would be expensive in the long run. It was fun to get all the tiny packs of rice and tubs of spices though - like being a tv cook!

Fine if you can eat most things and can improvise, but expensive to use. Unless you have a local farm that does seasonal fruit and veggie boxes.

OneFlewOverTheDodosNest Fri 21-Apr-17 12:37:44

We tried HelloFresh and gave up pretty quickly - we went for the 3 meals a week option and usually only one of the dishes was properly good and the other two were a bit meh - e.g. a lamb biryani where the only seasoning was salt and pepper.

Obviously it may have been a blip, and other companies may be better but I wasn't wowed which I'd expect for the prices we were paying.

What we do now is have a list of 20 standard recipes that we like, have a couple of batch cooked things in the freezer and then try to make something new once a week. We also online shop occasionally when we can't be bothered to go.

TheUpsideDown Fri 21-Apr-17 20:38:48

Ah bugger. I thought this would be the case. I guess it would bump up grocery costs if you're still having to cater for fussy kids (which I have!) and still have to shop for other meals like breakfasts, lunches & snacks.

I'll have to pull my finger out and do what you do OneFlewOver and compile a list of staple family favourites / easy quick fixes / have some batch cooked options / making weekly meal plans etc.

original Good idea. I'm not far from a couple of farms, and there is a fortnightly farmers market in town where I live that I've never actually been to. Maybe it would be worth payjng them a visit to see if they have veg boxes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now