Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How do you make your beef stew?

(29 Posts)
MyNameIsntTaken Fri 21-Apr-17 11:20:41

What is your foolproof method and ingredients you just can't do without

SaltySalt Fri 21-Apr-17 11:23:14

Slow cooker! As for recipes I'm quite boring just root veg potatoes and stock

BarchesterFlowers Fri 21-Apr-17 11:28:19

I add herbs, rosemary, thyme, garlic, tin of cherry tomatoes, wine, stock, beef, root veg, onions.

I cook it on the oven and add Parmesan and rosemary dumplings at the end with the lid off til brown.

Skirt of beef, 3 hours roughly in the oven. Am feeling inspired to make it tonight now.

BarchesterFlowers Fri 21-Apr-17 11:29:59

Oven = aga. I have little control over the temp and open the door a smidge if it is cooking too quickly - probably 170-180 degrees.

anotherpoisonprince Fri 21-Apr-17 11:31:39

Very basic

Stewing steak
Pearl barley
Onion
Carrots
Swede
Parsnips
Turnip
Potatoes
Salt
Pepper
Beef oxo
Bouquet garne
Dumplings

picklemepopcorn Fri 21-Apr-17 11:32:09

Insult it, then ignore it for a while. <sorry, I'll go quietly> grin

anotherpoisonprince Fri 21-Apr-17 11:36:44

Arg sorry posted too soon.
Everything except potatoes and dumplings in a big big stainless steel pot. Bring to boil. Stir. Leave on lowest heat for At Least 5 hours. Preferably longer.
Pots in at least an hour before serving. Dumplings 15is mins before serving.

I love stew. I get quite excited when it's cold enough for stew.

I make a chicken version and a lamb. But my favourite is beef.

ILookedintheWater Fri 21-Apr-17 11:39:27

I use shin beef if using the slow cooker, braising steak if it's going in the oven.
Method essentially similar for both but less fluid proportionally if it's going in the slow cooker.
Brown the chunks of beef until very brown and add to cooking pot. Fry off onions in meat juices and add to cooking pot.
deglaze frying pan with red wine and add to pot.
Add everything else directly to pot: carrots and other root veg to taste, tin of toms, half tsp sugar, half glass of water (or stock if beef isn't very well browned), half glass wine, tablespoon of flour.
Cook all day on low or for 3-4 hours in oven. taste and season, add greens or peas if likes shortly before serving. If adding tinned pulses, do this at least an hour before the end to absorb the flavours.

ILookedintheWater Fri 21-Apr-17 11:41:23

gah! forgot herbs: usually rosemary, sometimes garlic too, sometimes I add Indian or Moroccan spices (fried off ) instead, but then tend not to put root veg in more likely to be pulses and chopped fruit (apricots etc):

PonderLand Fri 21-Apr-17 11:42:39

I'm making beef stew today!
Mine has in it onion, garlic, 2 leeks, 2 celery, 1 swede, chantenay carrots, beef stock, red wine, worchestire sauce, balsamic vinegar, bay leaves, thyme and flat leaf parsley. I'm going to try adding halved baby potatos along with the dumplings at the end. Hopefully they won't soak up too much moisture from the sauce. Oh and dumplings have to be made with beef suet!

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Fri 21-Apr-17 11:44:41

I like it with thyme and orange flavours
www.delish.com/cooking/a37832/beef-stew-orange-thyme-reicpe/

squoosh Fri 21-Apr-17 11:47:06

Cooking shin of beef on low for hours is the key to a good stew.

Oldraver Fri 21-Apr-17 11:58:38

Shin of beef or skirt, roll in seasoned flour, brown off, deglaze pan with beef stock add whatever veg I want, bay leaves, Oxford Sauce, cook in oven

MyNameIsntTaken Fri 21-Apr-17 12:46:48

I haven't made stew since I moved out of my parents house about 10 years ago blush
I always cook too i don't know why I haven't done it.
I'm making it tonight. Got lots of ideas and good advice here, thanks.

I hope it turns out ok....

LiarLawyer Fri 21-Apr-17 12:50:17

Bay leaves. It's a game changer smile

TheCrowFromBelow Fri 21-Apr-17 13:14:47

pickleme 😂 and that's why we need a like button

back to the stew: toss beef in seasoned flour, brown in siZzling oil in pan, remive, add onions and stew veg (carrots, onions, turnips all work well), add a bit more flour, stir, add a glass of wine, bay leaves, fresh thyme, put the beef back in, add around 300ml stock and a tin of tomatoes. Sometimes add lardons if they are in fridge.
Turn it down low (hob or
Oven) and leave it for at least 2,5 hours. Check occasionally and Add more stock if needed.
Eat with mash or baked potatoes and lots of green veg.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 21-Apr-17 13:20:30

Brown the stewing beef with a couple of onions and sprinkle some flour over, cook for a couple of minutes to cook the flour. Bung into a stockpot with chunky veg - carrots, parsnips, swede, mushrooms, shallots are what I usually use. Fill to desired level with cold water, add a couple of beef stock pots, and some herbs (usually use mixed herbs and chives). Simmer on the hob for a couple of hours, adjusting the water as required if it starts to become too thick. Make dumplings, add to the stew about half an hour before the stew is ready. I usually mix in red and brown sauce after serving.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 21-Apr-17 13:22:28

DH used to add a spoon of curry powder but I don't like curry and chucked the powder out, he hasn't done it since.

EatsShitAndLeaves Fri 21-Apr-17 13:51:55

The key to a good stew is to really Brown the beef well. Do it in batches so you get a really dark colour on it.

Then I chuck in onions, carrots and celery and sweat them off.

Add beef stock or you can add beer or even Guinness.

Then I season with salt/pepper and add a few bay leaves plus thyme and rosemary.

I cook in a pressure cooker, but you can also chuck in the oven for 3 hours.

Add potatoes halfway through if you want (I tend not to and serve with mash) and/or add dumplings for the last 40 mins.

Variations are to make bourginon and use red wine (be generous- I use a full bottle) and add bacon lardons, mushrooms and small baby onions (skip the carrots).

EatsShitAndLeaves Fri 21-Apr-17 13:54:39

Forgot - Dust the beef (shin is best) in flour before you brown so it thickens the sauce as it cooks!

MyNameIsntTaken Fri 21-Apr-17 14:51:29

My stew is cooking! I must be quite sad because I'm actually sort of excited.

From what I've got from this thread, it seems like you can just make stew and throw in any biggish veg that needs using so I might make this more often if it turns out ok.
It's quite watery, it will thicken up right?

I will not be trying the curry powder haha. Andnone you did the right thing throwing it away.

EatsShitAndLeaves Fri 21-Apr-17 15:20:54

It should thicken as it cooks, but if you need to, you can make a slurry from water and flour.

Add a ladleful of the hot stew liquid to it, whisk together then tip back into the stew and stir.

Don't put the slurry straight into the stew or you will get lumps.

A tablespoon of flour with water should do it.

Teutonic Fri 21-Apr-17 15:25:15

Stew beef.
Potatoes
Onions
Carrots
Peas
Baked beans
Dash of brown sauce
Half teaspoon of curry powder
Salt and black pepper
Splash of port.

Teutonic Fri 21-Apr-17 15:27:14

Forgot to add, cooked in slow cooker with a couple of oxo and thickened with cornflower at the end of cooking.

BagelGoesWalking Fri 21-Apr-17 15:52:07

Feather steak (in one chunk) Brown it and remove.

One onion, sliced, sweat for a bit, add 2 boxes chestnut mushrooms, add meat back on with stock and loads of red wine. I also add pearl barley or wheat but not a lot.

Cook 170 deg for about 3 hours. Better the day after.

I used to add all the root vegs but DD (spoilt obviously) decided that she didn't like them so soft which is why I do it just with mushrooms now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now